Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2018, 16:33   #1
BHPian

Crash wreckage kept on display along the MP highway to warn rash drivers

To curtail road accidents, the Rajgarh police in Madhya Pradesh has come out with an unusual idea of installing the wreckage of road accident vehicles on major accidents prone points so as to warn the rash and negligent drivers. To begin with a road crash wreckage of a van has been installed as a statue on Rajgarh-Khilchipur stretch of NH-12.

News Courtesy: The Tribune
Quote:
To alert rash drivers, the Rajgarh police in Madhya Pradesh have installed a statue of a smashed vehicle on the Rajgarh-Khilchipur road on NH-12. The ‘Durghatna’ statue is drawing a lot of attention from passers-by.

Ever since the statue was installed, motorists have started slowing down, says Superintendent of Police Simla Prasad. More such statues will be installed on accident-prone roads, says Prasad.
Image Courtesy: The Tribune
Crash wreckage kept on display along the MP highway to warn rash drivers-news.jpg

Although the intentions behind such an unusual initiative maybe quite noble but nonetheless it can also prove counter productive as it may also act as a visual distraction to the passing drivers. Its a pity that the things have to come to such a passe that such bizarre initiatives are being taken for warning the motorists for their own safety.

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 28th June 2018 at 16:37.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 17:31   #2
BHPian

re: Crash wreckage kept on display along the MP highway to warn rash drivers

This was a common practice along highways in pre-islamic revolution Iran. Every car that met an accident (and was totaled) on the highway was displayed just by the side of accident spot along the highway. It also reflected on the accident density along the highway. It definitely slows down passers-by. Good initiative. Should be replicated on other highways as well.
dushmish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 18:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

This is not new in India. I have seen this on quite a few highways in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana and probably, Maharastra too. I could be wrong the about the state names (blame my poor memory), but I am extremely sure about seeing them. The wrecks include a few red vans, a red Indica, some autorickshaws.

This is a good move.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 18:34   #4
BHPian

Didnt Bangalore Traffic Police keep a totaled Honda City near Brigade road?
akshay380 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 18:37   #5
BHPian

Good initiative. Am sure it will have some positive effect. But at the same time, it will also distract drivers to some extent. People might suddenly slow down and move towards this to take a closer look. I mean, these are things that normally people do on our roads. It's very easy to distract an average Indian driver.
SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 18:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This might very well turn into a PR nightmare for Maruti. It is obvious that a majority of cars totalled on our roads are Marutis, going by their build quality and the fact that they anyway command a majority in absolute numbers on the roads.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 19:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
This might very well turn into a PR nightmare for Maruti. It is obvious that a majority of cars totalled on our roads are Marutis, going by their build quality and the fact that they anyway command a majority in absolute numbers on the roads.
interesting take on the move!

I see a lot of totalled automobiles outside police stations all over India gathering dust over decades. I guess red tapism/long drawn legal cases disallows them to be disposed off as scrap. I wonder where does MP police source these totalled vehicles from ?

IMHO such measures hardly mean anything. Moreover the mangled state of vehicle will reduce visibility, will accumulate dust and all agencies concerned will disown maintaining these over a period of time... causing wreckage to rust around / stolen/ dismembered.

One time Implementation is simple. Long term Maintenance is difficult.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th June 2018 at 15:58. Reason: Fixing emoticon
caramit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 20:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
This was a common practice along highways in pre-islamic revolution Iran. Every car that met an accident (and was totaled) on the highway was displayed just by the side of accident spot along the highway. It also reflected on the accident density along the highway. It definitely slows down passers-by. Good initiative. Should be replicated on other highways as well.
Thanks for the sharing the valuable information. With high rate of road crashes due to rash driving, over speeding and utter disregard for the traffic rules this is indeed a good initiative which should be emulated on other highways as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
This is not new in India. I have seen this on quite a few highways in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana and probably, Maharastra too. I could be wrong the about the state names (blame my poor memory), but I am extremely sure about seeing them. The wrecks include a few red vans, a red Indica, some autorickshaws. This is a good move.
Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Good initiative. Am sure it will have some positive effect. But at the same time, it will also distract drivers to some extent. People might suddenly slow down and move towards this to take a closer look. I mean, these are things that normally people do on our roads. It's very easy to distract an average Indian driver.
Couldn't agree more that despite being a good initiative it can prove counterproductive being a visual distraction for the road users. Motorists here are generally over inquisitive when it comes to probing the mishappenings on the highways.
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:42   #9
BHPian

While the initiative is good, I am a bit skeptical about its effect though. We already have the warning on Cigarette packets but I doubt it makes any impact on the smokers. Like they say in IT terms - We ignore a warning and fix only the errors.

Hope the outcome is positive
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sadly, it'll not have the desired effect. Infact instead of correcting ones own mistakes, the fault is always on the other persons' driving/riding or some arbitrary manufacturers' build quality.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
To curtail road accidents, the Rajgarh police in Madhya Pradesh has come out with an unusual idea.....
*Sarcasm Warning*

I feel this is plagiarism on behalf of MP.PD. Didnt we grow up in India seeing this idea since childhood, I mean, how many of you drivers remember one long drive on NHAI without a smashed up car or truck and few souls lying around... Along comes MP.PD, too lazy to clear up the mess. They are just humane enough to pay respect to the victims and lazily leave the car at the same place over a pedestal.

We each know a particular death trap on our daily roads, Imagine after a few monsoons and foggy months, will it look like this pic??

Crash wreckage kept on display along the MP highway to warn rash drivers-stack-cars.jpg

(Copyright Disclaimer - Pic belongs to Original owner, Cant say the same for MP.PD Idea though!)
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 00:10   #12
BHPian

Re: Crash wreckage kept on display along the MP highway to warn rash drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
While the initiative is good, I am a bit skeptical about its effect though. We already have the warning on Cigarette packets but I doubt it makes any impact on the smokers. Like they say in IT terms - We ignore a warning and fix only the errors. Hope the outcome is positive
Fully endorse your viewpoint. Indeed its difficult to inculcate a sense of safety and precaution in the minds of the masses. Your cigarette packet warning example is quite a valid point to prove that. The pity is that motorists in India mostly rely on destiny than on deeds. The safety is always a last thing on their mind. What to talk about making road users follow traffic rules, people don't even adhere to basic safety protocols of wearing seat belts and wearing helmets both of which are primary means of protection. Hope the sanity prevails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Sadly, it'll not have the desired effect. Infact instead of correcting ones own mistakes, the fault is always on the other persons' driving/riding or some arbitrary manufacturers' build quality.
Absolutely, the common trend back here is to put the blames on others. In such a scenario no amount of persuasion is going to give desired results as far as sensitizing the motorists is concerned. The only one who can help us is we ourselves.
Old 27th July 2018, 17:18   #13
Team-BHP Support

Similar:

Iowa DOT has a car in the mall to demonstrate how texting and driving is dangerous. Along with a monitor looping through several clips of accidents occurring due to texting and driving.

Crash wreckage kept on display along the MP highway to warn rash drivers-9vpjxm7m5eduodzvxtz4ypycj4a77tmjchdbysbpww.jpg

Source
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 17:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this to alert or distract drivers? Absolute nonsense. Crumpled/mangled rusted metal on a highway. Which idiot thought this is a good idea?

If it was to educate, at least try what the Iowa DOT did. That gives people the time and time and material to get a perspective.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 11:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

One more accident prone area marked with the installation of car wreckage. Somewhere in MP.

Crash wreckage kept on display along the MP highway to warn rash drivers-fb_img_1531480039843.jpg
Crash wreckage kept on display along the MP highway to warn rash drivers-fb_img_1531480046047.jpg

Source: Whats app.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks