Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2018, 19:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Spectacle lenses for safer night driving

Any experiences with the yellow tinted polarised glasses freely available on aliexpress? I've ordered one pair a few days ago but without any recommendations. Just a desperate action to make driving a bit less frustrating at night.
Inputs and advice (if to cancel the order and go for zeiss rather) would be very helpful
Old 7th July 2018, 19:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Any experiences with the yellow tinted polarised glasses freely available on aliexpress? I've ordered one pair a few days ago but without any recommendations. Just a desperate action to make driving a bit less frustrating at night.
Inputs and advice (if to cancel the order and go for zeiss rather) would be very helpful
Don't. The yellow lenses reduces the visibility.
I tried it a for a few drives, not worth it.
Better opt for clear lenses for night driving.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 00:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Don't. The yellow lenses reduces the visibility.
I tried it a for a few drives, not worth it.
Better opt for clear lenses for night driving.
Oh dear.. I now wish to have posted here before paying the whole amount upfront!
On another note, polarised lenses work very well to cut out glare from the ever so common full beams by inconsiderate road users. I did an experiment by testing my polarised sun glasses in the night against full beams. There is certainly less eye strain so my logic to get the yellow polarised ones was the same.

Will update my experience once delivered.
Old 8th July 2018, 01:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Oh dear.. I now wish to have posted here before paying the whole amount upfront!
On another note, polarised lenses work very well to cut out glare from the ever so common full beams by inconsiderate road users. I did an experiment by testing my polarised sun glasses in the night against full beams. There is certainly less eye strain so my logic to get the yellow polarised ones was the same.

Will update my experience once delivered.
I bought this yellow tinted lens recently from Amazon and it meets the claim. But as the other poster said, the visibility does get reduced. If the road is not good for example, like shallow potholes, you are going to miss them with these. But it makes a huge difference with high beams. I bought it on a whim but have been rarely using them and only on roads I know well.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 8th July 2018 at 02:02.
Yieldway17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 13:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I bought this yellow tinted lens recently from Amazon and it meets the claim. But as the other poster said, the visibility does get reduced. If the road is not good for example, like shallow potholes, you are going to miss them with these. But it makes a huge difference with high beams. I bought it on a whim but have been rarely using them and only on roads I know well.
You've given good information, will keep its use restricted to familiar city roads. Thank you!

P. S. Could you send me the link of your glasses from the amazon website.?
Old 8th July 2018, 23:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
P. S. Could you send me the link of your glasses from the amazon website.?
I linked in my previous reply too, not sure if it's not showing up as I tried to do it from my phone. Here it is again.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 17:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about the tech that goes into making these glasses, but I got a pair of glasses with anti-glare and polarizer from Vision express and it worked pretty well.

While returning from office at night, especially when stuck in Hinjawadi traffic, my eyes used to feel way too tired once I reached home. The bright yellow as well as red lights of the tail lamps were primary reasons, coupled that with constant staring into computer screen for long hours. The expert who checked my eyes recommended it. Got it for 6k last year. It definitely eases strain on eyes, it does not reduce brightness or filter any particular light (except ultra-violet) but it is difficult to explain it in words as to how it works.
Old 9th July 2018, 17:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I have not used with the glasses you mentioned. However i'm posting here since multiple people mentioned using polarized glasses in the night. Polarization works by cutting out light that is polarized in a particular plane. Since there are two light planes, that is roughly cutting out half the light that should be reaching your eyes. I don't think it's a good idea to wear them at night. Please correct me if i'm wrong here.
Ruchitya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 00:11   #24
BHPian

Polaroid is a great choice. I recently checked out the Maui jim glasses they are polarised and a few notches above other known big brands.
Old 10th July 2018, 19:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

I found my Crizal FUV lens as good as the Zeiss pair I had earlier, with good visibility during night driving. However, cannot gauge if either of the lenses particularly reduced glare. Sadly, beyond the brand I did not look out for specific 'variants'

Slightly but for some days I could not find a Crizal logo (nor a laser etch like Zeiss).
Spectacle lenses for safer night driving-00000portrait_00000_burst20180522091505923.jpg

Finally found it and just managed to keep it on till I clicked
Spectacle lenses for safer night driving-img20180710wa0006.jpg
GeeTee TSI is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 01:59   #26
BHPian

Top thread! Im curious about it all. I used to ride/drive with the Persimmon lenses in my Oakley Jawbone. Used to cut glare well and amped up vision. Sadly they got scratched and ive been left without one ever since. Ive been looking around to get something for my daily computer activity and night driving. Which brand is the better of the two? I will seal the deal this week then. Please suggest stores near Parle east in Mumbai.

Also: I have used the Gunnar optics as well. And have you folks noticed ads on Instagram that sell a particular type of glares that block obstructive light instantly? Im sure IG regulars must have seen. Let me check and share the link again.

Look forward to hearing!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 11:46   #27
BHPian

Very useful info for me as I always prefer to start my long drives at night to cover as much distance possible before sunrise. Can anyone from Bangalore please let me know which shops sell Zeiss lenses (near Marathalli or Bellandur preferred)? Most of the ones near Marathalli peddle Crizal.
Old 12th July 2018, 17:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I did an experiment by testing my polarised sun glasses in the night against full beams. There is certainly less eye strain so my logic to get the yellow polarised ones was the same.
I have tried polarised sunglass at night. While it does reduce glare, it also reduces visibility. So in my experience it is not practical.

This Carl Zeiss DriveSafe lens seems like a good lens for my requirement. I have great difficulty driving at night facing high beam headlights, especially LED headlights.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 18:54   #29
BHPian

Great! I have been thinking about changing my glasses and found this thread at the right time.

Is Zeiss DriveSafe glasses available with photo-chromatic coating as well? Not sure if someone mentioned about this, but would this serve the purpose of normal anti-glare lenses that people use while working on computers as well? Or is there an additional coating required for this?

Since my intention is to have a single pair of glasses that would serve me well while working on computers, outdoors as well as night driving. I have myopia - around minus 1.75 with 75 degrees cylindrical.
Old 15th July 2018, 21:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
My experience with yellow lenses has been very good. Somebody gave me a cheap pair of mercury-coated (rainbow hue) glasses to use for biking as I had misplaced my usual sun-goggles which I used for dust/wind protection.

I liked the frame but not the multicolour so I gave them to a local spectacle repairer, and he changed the lenses to YELLOW ! This was years ago, before such things became available online, and he said they would be good for driving/riding.
Sceptical at first, I tried them in the sun and found them not very useful - everything appeared brighter. But in heavy rain I was amazed to find visibility improved -- as if it was a clear day ! Same in light fog !
Then I decided to try them at night and was surprised at the results. Never imagined that tinted glasses could be brighter than clear ones ! Even in dim street light I could see better w/o headlamps, and on highways it seems I was driving during the day, almost !
Of course, these are cheap yellow glasses without polarisation or coatings.

So go ahead and get your ALIEXPRESS shades. if dissatisfied, exchange them with my Rs.50/- ones !

Good luck, and let us know ?
SnakemanJohny is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed