Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:31   #46

Re: Spectacle lenses for safer night driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha View Post
Similar to Zeiss drivesafe, Essilor also have a variant which is named as "Essidrive". As per the version from optical shop, this is the newest one from essilor which was made available a week ago in india. Couldn't find much details online, anyone got any idea?
I was recommended this coating as well recently when I enquired about Zeiss. Could only find references to Crizal Drive coating on Essilor SG site though. Shop wanted to push this quoting almost half the price of Zeiss - in case anyone has any feedback would be also keen to hear.
Old 4th September 2018, 11:24   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand253 View Post
I was recommended this coating as well recently when I enquired about Zeiss. Could only find references to Crizal Drive coating on Essilor SG site though. Shop wanted to push this quoting almost half the price of Zeiss - in case anyone has any feedback would be also keen to hear.
I purchased one Essilor Essidrive from an authorized dealer, which costed 5,900 including a frame cost of 1,450/-.

Lens have a reddish reflection. fog id was missing. Got the Crizal authenticity card with the spectacle. I inquired and they confirmed that fog id is not available for Crizal essidrive. To confirm it, i contacted the company through email, which remains unattended for over a week.

I am not a spectacle user, except sun glasses during day driving. I couldn't find any difference when wearing the glass. Are these lenses for the spectacle users who could eliminate the issues with their existing lenses/ glasses ?

Anyway regarding the authenticity, below is one reply from essilor regarding a consumer complaint regarding missing Fog id, even though its for another model.

Crizal Customer Care's response, Apr 16, 2018
[/i]
Dear XXXX,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Ideally you should have received an authenticity card from your optician as that stands as the proof for Crizal prevencia. We do not have a fog Id option on the lens for Crizal Prevencia.

Kindly ask your optician to provide you with the Certificate of authenticity. If you can share the invoice copy at essilor@essilorindia.com we will co-ordinate with your optician to provide you with the authenticity card and also try to resolve the issue that your facing.

Best regards,
Team Essilor

Last edited by sujithsidhardha : 4th September 2018 at 11:44.
Old 4th September 2018, 12:11   #48
BHPian

Query to folks using Zeiss DriveSafe:

The coating on my current lenses, Crizal UV Forte, has started wearing off. It has helped to reduce the glare so far, but there is still scope for improvement and from the reviews of the users, it looks like DriveSafe will help in night driving. So, I decided to check this out.

I inquired about Zeiss DriveSafe yesterday at Lawrence & Mayo. I was told that there are two types available (shown to me from their internal brochure):
  • A DriveSafe coating which starts from 4.2k onwards
  • A DriveSafe lens which starts from 7.9k onwards

They could not tell me much about the differences except that the second one is better

My understanding so far was that anti-glare and anti-reflection products are applied as coatings. So, I am not sure why a separate lens product and a separate coating product.

Which of the above have the DriveSafe users got here? If anyone can throw some light on the differences between these, it would help me to make an informed decision.

P.S. Zeiss website does have a section on DriveSafe coatings but it just redirects to the DriveSafe lenses page for further information.

Last edited by sajidclt : 4th September 2018 at 12:12. Reason: Added emphasis
Old 3rd October 2018, 21:43   #49
BHPian

Had a terrible headache one day. And knew it was time I went to the doctor. Got my eyes tested and learnt I finally have numbers. Although a lesser one, minus one. Doc scolded me...what was keeping you waiting this long mister?And owing to some fab recommends from this thread I was armed. Many thanks to Ajith for sharing his tale of the Zeiss DriveSafe. I owe you one! Here goes...

I first ended up at Titan Eye Plus. Chose a cheap frame of a cool black and red combo and got another one for a good discount. Chose their top of the line lenses which have blue light protect feature something. Paid 5k for it all. In fact I am typing with them on, there certainly is a noticeable difference esp with regards to comfort.

Moving on I ended up selecting an Oakley Crosslink Fit(badass frames) but couldnt source it soon enough. Went to Imax opticals and Classic Vision in Parle east. Learnt which all companies sell lenses. And Crizal, Zeiss and Nikon topped the list. Hoya came close too but not great reviews. Got a basic Nikon glass done for the extra Titan frame. Im a Nikon guy when it comes to photography. I trust Nikon silica.

Moving on I scooped a cheap Stepper frame with a good colour combo and shape and added the Crizal Prevencia with 8 benefits onto them. Imax was having offers and showed me a cool Ferragamo frame. Fell in love with it and added the Zeiss DriveSafe onto it. The next week after the deals were done landed on what would be the best frame out of all...a ProDesign Denmark all aluminium frame with a cool folding mechanism. Scooped it for my bro. Batman stuff!

Yes it did cost me a bomb. I have been using the Titan and Crizal for little over a week now and have to admit the results are profound. I even tried them out for a few night drives and the results are profound. I drove more confidently on the highway and in small lanes. Both lenses cut glare really well. My Zeiss just arrived today and cant wait to try them on! The Imax guy whose name I share also gave a complimentary Nikon lens cleaner bottle.

All in all...these lenses with these coatings do cost a bomb BUT they are well worth it. To protect specs in the eye, wear specs. And our media consumption will never get less. The initial cost may be high but for the long run, you are set. Highly recommend folks working long hours in front of computers even though you do not have a power, get a frame and protect your eyes. Please dont wait until you get one. I fell in this trap and have learnt my lesson.

Point to note: Whites appear little yellow and when there's a cool, blue tint visible when someone looks at you. It is perfectly normal.
Crizal and Zeiss have the best range, although I'll admit Crizal has better stuff. Go check em out!

I am also reviewing Revant optics replacement lenses for my Oakley Jawbone and Ten. More on them later.

So if anyone in Mumbai is looking to purchase these, do reach out to me or give my reference to Mehul at Imax opticians and Chetan at Classic Vision. They will give you the best deal.

Cheers!
Mehul.

Last edited by coolmel : 3rd October 2018 at 21:56.
coolmel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 23:10   #50
BANNED

I have been a Titan Eye customer for many years now .I find it difficult to make these expensive lenses last 18months ( Even with good care I end up getting scratches, irritating enough to go for a new set ) .So it has become a sort of recurring expense .Also once you get used to them normal routine stuff will not satisfy you .I also would suggest opt for Transition always. They make a huge difference in eye comfort apart from coatings .As for the frames I have been opting for Ray Ban Carbon Fibre 8901 which is a very light and robust frame .

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 3rd October 2018 at 23:14.
Old 4th October 2018, 19:23   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I have been a Titan Eye customer for many years now .I find it difficult to make these expensive lenses last 18months ( Even with good care I end up getting scratches, irritating enough to go for a new set ) .So it has become a sort of recurring expense .Also once you get used to them normal routine stuff will not satisfy you .I also would suggest opt for Transition always. They make a huge difference in eye comfort apart from coatings .As for the frames I have been opting for Ray Ban Carbon Fibre 8901 which is a very light and robust frame .
I did ask for transitions but for a power as mine, they did not recommend. Best had on progressive.
Old 8th October 2018, 09:57   #52
BHPian

interesting thread.I didn't know that these existed.i'm off to get one but these probably cost a bomb in Singapore.
Are they available to buy online somewhere.
Old 19th June 2020, 15:13   #53
BHPian

Recently bought Carl Zeiss Duravision Drivesafe lens from Titan Eyeplus store. They have been excellent on the eye and are they donot give me a feel of stress or strain on the eye and trust me as i have used top of the line Titan Eyeplus lens and alsu the premium Lenskart Blu lens and this is no where in comparison.

Titan Eyeplus lens was the worst with coating peeling off in a year and i never suggest anyone to go for them. And i have bough them more than 3 years ago so may be they improvised on their product now.

Lenskart Blu lens was fine and was doing it's job but at night time they are as good as the normal lens and don't help in reducing glare or improving your clarity at night. Lenskart had more premium Tokai lens but when i read reviews, they don't seem much technologically advanced other then being world's thinnest lens as they claim.

But it is a different scenario with Carl Zeiss Duravision Drivesafe lens. Excellent for night driving and very soothing for the eyes. They are the most comfortable to me when compared to any other lens i used previously. The only negative may be the price. In Titan Eyeplus store, the lens alone costs 5000 approx.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Titan Eyeplus or Carl Zeiss by anyway so the review is based on my pure personal experience.

Here is a link about the product,

https://www.zeiss.ae/vision-care/spe...tml#technology
prabhu.reddy92 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:51   #54
BHPian

My query is little different than the topic of the tread.

Recently I had to start using progressive lens. However due to my active lifestyle in outdoors and newbie driving, I was using the earlier lens for outdoor commutes and driving. I am using the essilor progressive lens only for the office works and reading at home.

Now my old spec lens was damaged last night.

How difficult and different it would be to drive with the progressive lens for a newbie (I am not an expert). While purchasing the spec+lens the Himalayan optics sales people in GGN Galleria asked me not to drive with this lens in initial days.

Any dos and don'ts, advisory for the first time driving with progressive lens?

Or shall I make a normal lens spec without this plus power? I have a cylindrical vision, too! Without specs I get a nasty headache.
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:20   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
How difficult and different it would be to drive with the progressive lens for a newbie (I am not an expert).
I have been using progressives for a long time, and regular distance vision for about 3 years in between. The only time I face a problem is when I raise my head up +back trying to see the edge of the bonnet. In such situations, the view is blurred because the near vision part of the glass comes into play. I should just lean forward instead when I want to do that.

Else - progressives absolutely fine for driving.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:44   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
The glare trouble is especially acute for someone like me, who has gone through a Lasik surgery for vision correction.
In my observation, Lasik affects the vision and driving in multiple ways. During the day, the peripheral vision improves by a good amount. So, you can see a lot of things just from the corner of your eyes and make maneuvers better than before. The contrast adjustment goes for a toss and coming to an area of tree shade or a tunnel from sunlit areas is almost blinding.
Night time driving becomes a nightmare. Eyes's reduced ability to adjust contrast levels causes excessive strain, just to see what's ahead when faced with oncoming, variable intensities glare from other vehicles. It's like staring into a flashlight and immidiately trying to see what's in the dark area. Additionally, dry eyes causes vision halos and further strain.
So for quite some time, I usually avoid night time driving, on unknown roads.
DAMN! I never thought I'd find a post that I can relate with a lot! Oncoming high beam just gets my road rage out because of these exact reasons. After my lasyk any lights at night are bad and oncoming high beam lights are just the worst. I feel blinded quite literally when my eyes are hit with those lights. I try to keep a straight driving position in such scenarios or look away for a brief second. But anyway, none of that is a proper solution.

This isn't a problem with well lit highways- as my eyes don't have to adjust from light to dark. It's a problem with highways where there are no streetlights and I have oncoming cars on high beam.

I will definitely explore the glasses you guys are recommending. Ideally I try to avoid driving at night but that's been the case when I didn't own a car. Now that I'm planning to pick one glasses like these might become necessary.
PankajKara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 15:33   #57
BANNED

Night driving glasses reduce glare by scattering and filtering out blue light. Blue light is the part of the light spectrum that has the shortest wavelength and the largest amount of energy. Unlike types of light with longer wavelengths, blue light is more likely to cause glare when it enters the eye. Driving glasses allow for optimal vision during the day and night, helping you to see objects in low lighting and to keep a sharper focus while driving, even in the dark. They also provide a large field of vision to allow you to see from all sides, and protect you against harmful UV and blue-violet light, similar to the protection of sunglasses.
ButterRider 7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:34   #58
BHPian

Crossposting from another thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4976348 (Which one is better for night driving: Spectacles or Lenses?)

Would love your thoughts

Has anyone experimented with different over-prescription glasses?
How do they compare with the Carl Zeiss lenses ?
How comfortable are the Carl Zeiss lenses for regular use on the laptop - any distortions, any fatigue ?
Old 9th August 2022, 10:24   #59
RDS
BHPian

Old Thread but posting here for benefit of all.

Zeiss Drivesafe are now available on Amazon by Intellilens (Zeiss Dealer) for Rs. 3400. Not the best frame but original product and huge VFM.

Here is the link
RDS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 11:28   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post

Zeiss Drivesafe are now available on Amazon by Intellilens (Zeiss Dealer) for Rs. 3400.
Are these powerless glasses? How do they check eye power on Amazon ?

Most Viewed