Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2018, 01:45   #31
BHPian

Re: Spectacle lenses for safer night driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post

Is Zeiss DriveSafe glasses available with photo-chromatic coating as well? Not sure if someone mentioned about this, but would this serve the purpose of normal anti-glare lenses that people use while working on computers as well? Or is there an additional coating required for this?
Photochromic lenses barely turn dark when you’re in the car. They’re suggested for people who are out in the sun or have a field job. Also, photochromic lenses cost twice as much. You’re better off with a prescription sunglass and a DriveSafe for night driving.
SahilSawant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2018, 05:18   #32
BHPian

Hi folks I am interested in a drivesafe glasses plain ( without power). Is there any quick way that I can order one online, any e-comm website ?
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2018, 08:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great! I have been thinking about changing my glasses and found this thread at the right time.

Is Zeiss DriveSafe glasses available with photo-chromatic coating as well? Not sure if someone mentioned about this, but would this serve the purpose of normal anti-glare lenses that people use while working on computers as well? Or is there an additional coating required for this?

Since my intention is to have a single pair of glasses that would serve me well while working on computers, outdoors as well as night driving. I have myopia - around minus 1.75 with 75 degrees cylindrical.
My pair of glasses are exactly the same as you mentioned - drivesafe with antiglare & photochromatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
[url]
I got mine at about 15K - but I got the photochromatic variant.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2018, 10:35   #34
BHPian

The glare trouble is especially acute for someone like me, who has gone through a Lasik surgery for vision correction.
In my observation, Lasik affects the vision and driving in multiple ways. During the day, the peripheral vision improves by a good amount. So, you can see a lot of things just from the corner of your eyes and make maneuvers better than before. The contrast adjustment goes for a toss and coming to an area of tree shade or a tunnel from sunlit areas is almost blinding.
Night time driving becomes a nightmare. Eyes's reduced ability to adjust contrast levels causes excessive strain, just to see what's ahead when faced with oncoming, variable intensities glare from other vehicles. It's like staring into a flashlight and immidiately trying to see what's in the dark area. Additionally, dry eyes causes vision halos and further strain.
So for quite some time, I usually avoid night time driving, on unknown roads.

This January came a tipping point, when I had a close shave around 10 PM while returning from Goa.

Now, I had to figure this out. So, till now I have bought Blu Cut Lenses with both sides AR coating. They are significantly better than just AR lenses which I had previously. They cut down halo and reduce glare. So, the vision and hence the driving confidence increases. They are also helpful while working on the laptop or watching TV, activities which take up a lot of my time. We got two pairs (one for my sister) for 4.5 K.
For day times, a polarized pair of sunglasses has elaminated all of the problems (except tunnels where it is extremely dark).
Given the enormity of my troubles, I have been eyeing a pair from Eagle Eyes. They developed glasses for NASA, to be used in the Space. They are available on Amazon India for as low as 4.5 K. I'll buy them sometimes. But for now, Lenskart's polarized and Blu Cut glasses are doing an okay job.

Last edited by atnyia : 22nd July 2018 at 10:52.
atnyia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2018, 22:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
But for now, Lenskart's polarized and Blu Cut glasses are doing an okay job.
I would recommend you to switch to either Essilor or Zeiss for your lenses. They are much better than the unbranded ones sold by local opticians and Lenskart.
Old 23rd July 2018, 11:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
I have been eyeing a pair from Eagle Eyes. They developed glasses for NASA, to be used in the Space. They are available on Amazon India for as low as 4.5 K.
Are these the ones you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.in/Eagle-Eyes-Uni.../dp/B002JINQ5W
Old 23rd July 2018, 13:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
I would recommend you to switch to either Essilor or Zeiss for your lenses.
In hindsight, yes, I should have had gone for the Zeiss ones. I knew about them. But, that time, my thinking was that I needed these glasses only for night time driving. It was too infrequent a requirement for such an investment. Now, that I have bought them, I use them more often as they have a good case, even when I am not driving. S Also, Lenskart glasses are very good to use. So, I'll use them until the AR coating wears out.

Definitely, the next pair comes from Zeiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
Are these the ones you are talking about?
No, these are clip-on. Just search "Eagle Eyes Sunglasses" and sort them on price. BTW, they have some pretty nice wayfarers as well, thought they come for a Ray-Ban-ish price.
Besides, the US prices are in $ 20-30 range. So, if possible, it's better to source them if someone is travelling.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 11:30   #38
BHPian

Guys, I am using prescription spectacles(Myopic, -2.0 powered in both eyes).
I was thinking to get separate glasses for both day and night driving. Maybe a powered sunglasses for day and powered DriveSafe or something else for night? Can someone please suggest which one should I get and what combination?
It would be better if only one glasses would work for day and night both.
Thanks.
P.S. - I searched but couldn't find ZEISS DriveSafe being sold online anywhere? Are they not available online?
Old 30th July 2018, 17:23   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
I searched but couldn't find ZEISS DriveSafe being sold online anywhere? Are they not available online?
Seems they are unavailable online. Searched every nook and corner online. Collected the details of Zeiss authorized dealers in my location and contacted them. One quoted 4230/- and another one quoted 5,600/- . Both without frame.
sujithsidhardha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 21:33   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha View Post
Seems they are unavailable online. Searched every nook and corner online. Collected the details of Zeiss authorized dealers in my location and contacted them. One quoted 4230/- and another one quoted 5,600/- . Both without frame.
Yes, don't know why they aren't available online. There is only one authorized ZEISS dealer here, I haven't had a chance to contact them yet.
Old 6th August 2018, 11:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilSawant View Post
Photochromic lenses barely turn dark when you’re in the car. They’re suggested for people who are out in the sun or have a field job. Also, photochromic lenses cost twice as much. You’re better off with a prescription sunglass and a DriveSafe for night driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
My pair of glasses are exactly the same as you mentioned - drivesafe with antiglare & photochromatic.
Thanks Sahil, blackasta!

I usually park my car at office (130Kms from home) on Mondays and use cycle to commute between office and room on weekdays. Yes, I have noticed that my existing Essilor Crizal lenses with photochromic does not turn black when inside the car - I think the car glasses are UV-filtering. When I cycle with my spare glasses (without photochromic), it is significantly straining to the eyes.

I thought the Zeiss DriveSafe with photochromic will cost much more than 15K. The Crizal I am using costed me around 8K 4 years back.

Also, could someone help me understand this: this DriveSafe is any different from anti-glare/polarized lenses? Or is it just a name that they have given?
Old 6th August 2018, 11:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sahil, blackasta!
Also, could someone help me understand this: this DriveSafe is any different from anti-glare/polarized lenses? Or is it just a name that they have given?
Sorry for back to back posts.

Came across this : https://www.axonoptics.com/2013/03/p...lare-coatings/

Now I am more confused. Would that mean that if I use DriveSafe, I won't be seeing what I should, on my computer screen?
Old 6th August 2018, 14:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for back to back posts.

Came across this : https://www.axonoptics.com/2013/03/p...lare-coatings/

Now I am more confused. Would that mean that if I use DriveSafe, I won't be seeing what I should, on my computer screen?
DriveSafe is a lens that cuts the glare.
DriveSafe lenses are not polarized by default. It is neither polarized nor photo chromatic. You can add polarization and photo chromatic coatings to DriveSafe lenses. If you need them to be polarized, you can add the coating.

They should be perfectly fine to be used indoors, as mentioned in the thread earlier (here).

I would suggest to go with normal DriveSafe lenses. At best, it may be good enough to add photo chromatic coat (that's what I'll do).

If you add polarization coating, they will be rendered useless at night, as polarization is a dark coat.

Last edited by suku_patel_22 : 6th August 2018 at 14:35.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 15:29   #44
BHPian

Similar to Zeiss drivesafe, Essilor also have a variant which is named as "Essidrive". As per the version from optical shop, this is the newest one from essilor which was made available a week ago in india. Couldn't find much details online, anyone got any idea?
Old 9th August 2018, 08:41   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
I remember my wife took Crizal prevencia lens and the sales men mentioned it also has the anti glare technology but not sure it was for night driving. The sales guy told it is good to wear these glasses while working on laptop as it blocks uv rays and blue light which is harmful for human eyes. It costed around 5-6k.
I use crizal prevencia as well. Some opticians in Bangalore provide a 15% off on crizal lenses. Lenskart sells a very unknown brand called British Optics
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks