Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2018, 13:06   #1
Team-BHP Support

Spectacle lenses for safer night driving

I recently picked up Crizal spectacle lens with blue light protection. Since I was reading up on benefits of 'blue light protection', Google has started bombarding me with all sorts of spectacles related offers

Zeiss DriveSafe lens is the most interesting of the lot. From Zeiss website -
https://www.zeiss.co.in/vision-care/...fe-lenses.html

Spectacle lenses for safer night driving-zeiss1.jpg

Youtube video:

Review by Forbes magazine:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer.../#449af3b3e40d

Quote:
When swapping between normal glasses and the DriveSafe pair there is certainly a difference, particularly because we were consciously looking for subtle differences in glare and low light clarity. The primary area of differentiation was glare levels from streetlights and headlights. When switching between traditional and DriveSafe lenses the difference was obvious.

These lenses are a signal that future safety equipment need not be integrated into the vehicle. Traditionally, most vehicle safety technologies have been controlled by automotive manufacturers, which makes them more costly and/or less flexible to the consumer's lifestyle. These lenses are relatively cost efficient, with prices dependent on lens material
Zeiss DriveSafe spectacle lenses cost around Rs. 20,000 though.
https://www.visionexpress.in/spectacles-lens

Availability in major cities is not a problem:

Spectacle lenses for safer night driving-zeiss2.jpg
SmartCat is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 20:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Spectacle lenses for safer night driving

I use a similar lens. Though its not from Zeiss, i forgot the name of the maker. My lens came with a quote 'safe drive'. It costed me much lesser than the zeiss. I got it for Rs 4,000. Am sure the Zeiss will be much better in the long run as the coating used by them should be superior and in regards to Zeiss they are one of the best.

With this lens i have done quite a few night drives and i must say the glare from the high beams coming from the opposite side are much more sorted and working in front of the computer for longer hours give the eye a much more soothing feel.

Attaching a pic of the glass. The coating can be identified from the bluish reflection. Firstly i ordered this reluctantly thinking it as a gimmick and didn't expect anything more than the normal anti-glare glasses which i were used too, but i was proved wrong.

Spectacle lenses for safer night driving-img_8790.jpg

If the user of this glass is a selfie maniac & take a pic without noticing the reflection on the glass, it will come up with blue patches!

Last edited by Samba : 1st July 2018 at 20:54.
Samba is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 21:28   #3
BHPian

I remember my wife took Crizal prevencia lens and the sales men mentioned it also has the anti glare technology but not sure it was for night driving. The sales guy told it is good to wear these glasses while working on laptop as it blocks uv rays and blue light which is harmful for human eyes. It costed around 5-6k.
roby_dk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 21:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Have been using Zeiss Drive Safe lenses for close to 2 years now. Costed me 10K with frame.
Makes a big difference in night driving.
I am quite happy with it. I use it only for night driving and not for regular use and hence it is always kept in my car.
Difference between normal and Zeiss Drive Safe lens is huge.
speedmiester is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 09:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

I recently picked up a pair with Fino Blumax lenses (affordable compared to Crizal) and it makes quite a difference in night driving. I make it a point to switch frames while driving.
sukiwa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 13:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have used polarised lenses and it makes a difference while night driving. This makes it 3 options for driving in the night - Zeiss DriveSafe, Antiglare coating & Polarised lens.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2018 at 10:35. Reason: typo
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 14:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Have been using Zeiss Drive Safe lenses for close to 2 years now. Costed me 10K with frame.
Makes a big difference in night driving.
I am quite happy with it. I use it only for night driving and not for regular use and hence it is always kept in my car.
Difference between normal and Zeiss Drive Safe lens is huge.
I currently use powered polarized sunglasses for day time driving and have Essilor Transitions Preventia for normal office use.

I have always wanted to try these lenses for evening to night time driving. Can Zeiss Drivesafe be used in normal office conditions, or is it strictly for use on the road?

Some images on the glasses would be really helpful.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 20:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
I currently use powered polarized sunglasses for day time driving and have Essilor Transitions Preventia for normal office use.

I have always wanted to try these lenses for evening to night time driving. Can Zeiss Drivesafe be used in normal office conditions, or is it strictly for use on the road?

Some images on the glasses would be really helpful.
Yes, it can be used in all conditions. I use my specs primarily for driving and hence I keep it in my car. I use powered sunglasses during day time driving and at night I strictly use Zeiss Drivesafe.

I was initially reluctant in getting them as there were no demo eye pieces to confirm the claims. Still I took a plunge as I drive between Bangalore and Mysore often and prefer a 4AM start to avoid traffic. Initially I didn't find much difference between my normal eye glasses and Zeiss Drivesafe, but once my eyes got adjusted to the lenses the difference was apparent.
The streaks, halo and glare around headlamps are reduced a lot by this lenses and this helps in reducing eye fatigue. These will not completely eliminate glare, but will help in reducing it to a good extent.

Once on a road trip I have driven with these lenses from 10 in the night to 6 in the morning on a four lane highway which has heavy traffic and high beams from opposite side frequently blind you and I can confidently say that these lenses have helped me a lot in reducing fatigue.
Attached Thumbnails
Spectacle lenses for safer night driving-img_20180702_194655010.jpg  

Spectacle lenses for safer night driving-img_20180702_194704142.jpg  

Spectacle lenses for safer night driving-img_20180702_194719001.jpg  

Spectacle lenses for safer night driving-img_20180702_194736036.jpg  

speedmiester is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 20:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The streaks, halo and glare around headlamps are reduced a lot by this lenses and this helps in reducing eye fatigue. These will not completely eliminate glare, but will help in reducing it to a good extent.
Thanks for the inputs. It was heartening to hear that it actually delivers what they claim.

The lenses also look quite clear for normal usage. I remember reading about a lens designed for driving (can't recall the brand) that had a yellow tint to it, leading to my being skeptical. Good to see that it's clear.

I know it's difficult, but could you possibly quantify(in percentage) how much it reduces the glare?

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2018 at 10:35. Reason: typos
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 2nd July 2018, 23:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ads for Zeiss have been popping up.
Zeiss should deliver on a claim. But anyone knows how it works?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 08:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know it's difficult, but could you possibly quantify(in percentage) how much it reduces the glare?
I would say it reduces the glare by about 40-50%. I think it depends on the individual as well. A friend of mine who has the same lens claims a reduction of around 25%.
Another factor that helps in reducing glare is a clear windshield.
If the windshield has scratches, no lenses can help.

On my brother's car which has minor scratches on the windshield, the lenses are not so efficient. But still better than normal lenses.
speedmiester is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 10:18   #12
BHPian

Have been using Zeiss DriveSafe for more than a year now and it actually is the best lens for driving. So being an optician, I have access to all sorts of lenses and coatings available and I’m yet to come across a better lens than DriveSafe for night driving. Also, they don’t cost 20k. The Zeiss DriveSafe range starts at 4.7k

Quote:
Yes, DriveSafe can be used in normal office conditions as well since it comes with AntiReflection coating which also helps with screens and devices.

Last edited by SDP : 9th July 2018 at 16:40. Reason: Merging back to back posts
SahilSawant is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 11:38   #13
BHPian

Re: Spectacle lenses for safer night driving

This seems to be very useful for night driving.
One question in general about coatings: Do they wear out over a period of time due to regular cleaning of the glasses?
Another question is are these as effective when used as progressive lenses? I have to use progressive.
Old 7th July 2018, 13:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
This seems to be very useful for night driving.
One question in general about coatings: Do they wear out over a period of time due to regular cleaning of the glasses?
Another question is are these as effective when used as progressive lenses? I have to use progressive.
About the coating, it depends on how you use it. If you’re a rough user then the coating would peel off pretty quickly. But if you take good care, it lasts pretty long (4-5 years)

And the coating remains the same regardless of the configuration of the lens. So both, single vision and progressive, are equally effective for driving with such coatings.
SahilSawant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 16:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-s...ml#post4043095

Linking from another thread - I have been using the zeiss drivesafe lenses in my primary glasses for about 2 years.

Quote:
Can Zeiss Drivesafe be used in normal office conditions, or is it strictly for use on the road?
I use them always except sleeping or showering.

Quote:
Initially I didn't find much difference between my normal eye glasses and Zeiss Drivesafe, but once my eyes got adjusted to the lenses the difference was apparent.
+1 - the difference is not very noticeable at first, but if you check back by wearing your normal lenses after using the drivesafe ones for a while it becomes apparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilSawant View Post
Also, they don’t cost 20k. The Zeiss DriveSafe range starts at 4.7k
I got mine at about 15K - but I got the photochromatic variant.

Quote:
The lenses also look quite clear for normal usage. I remember reading about a lens designed for driving (can't recall the brand) that had a yellow tint to it, leading to my being skeptical. Good to see that it's clear.
There is a very light yellowish tint in my lenses (may be because they are photochromatic), but does not affect your vision or ability to comprehend colors in any way. Only is noticeable when held up to white sheet of paper or a light source like a window.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks