Team-BHP - Helmets made compulsory for female riders in Chandigarh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Helmets made compulsory for female riders in Chandigarh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/199776-helmets-made-compulsory-female-riders-chandigarh.html)

Wearing of helmets has been made compulsory for women two wheeler riders in the Union Territory of Chandigarh. The UT administration has made helmet mandatory for women two-wheeler riders, exempting only Sikh women wearing a turban. The draft notification was released by the UT administration regarding making wearing of helmets mandatory for all women two-wheeler riders.

News Courtesy: Chandigarh Tribune

Quote:

Chandigarh, July 3: Ladies, buy helmet, it's mandatory now

The UT Administration has made helmet mandatory for two-wheeler women riders, exempting only Sikhs with a turban. Sources said Punjab Governor and UT Administrator VP Singh Badnore gave his nod to the proposal on Tuesday. The decision would be implemented from the date of the notification, likely to issued in a day or two.

The Administration examined all objections received on the draft notification. In the draft notification, the Administration had proposed to use the words “a Sikh woman wearing a turban” instead of the words “or a woman” in Rule 193 of the Chandigarh Motor Vehicle Rules, 1990. While Punjab and Haryana exempted only Sikh women from wearing helmets, the UT Administration had exempted all women.

The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, permits state governments to make relaxation for some categories. The sources said the Administration had prepared the draft notification after examining the provisions in Punjab, Haryana and Delhi.

The Administration had received around 15 objections to the draft notification. The Shiromani Akali Dal, Chandigarh, and a few others had demanded exemption for all Sikh women, but a majority of the residents and associations supported the draft notification.

The draft notification was issued in view of a notice issued by the Punjab and Haryana High Court to the UT Administration on a suo motu petition on the rising number of accidents involving women, who were exempted from wearing helmets, on city roads. In the past decade, many women riding two-wheelers have lost their lives in accidents.

15 objections were received

The Administration had received around 15 objections to the draft notification. The Shiromani Akali Dal, Chandigarh, and a few others had demanded exemption for all Sikh women, but a majority of the residents and associations supported the draft notification.
Image Courtesy: Chandigarh Tribune

Helmets made compulsory for female riders in Chandigarh-news-image.jpg

This wise step by the Chandigarh Administration will go a long way in curbing fatalities on roads. Going by the road accidents statistics of last few years it was found that many women two-wheeler riders lost their lives in road accidents due to fatal head injuries which could have been prevented had the victims been wearing safety helmets. Worse still many of those who survive head injuries are left handicapped for life as the resultant brain trauma from a severe head injury causes cessation of bodily functions due to paralysis. The authorities all over the country should emulate and make helmets mandatory for women. This will go a long way in curtailing the number of deaths and serious injuries involving two-wheeler riders as they alone account for 40% of the total road fatalities.

I would like to know the reason why it wasn't mandatory till now. Also, I am not aware of rules in other states regarding helmets, but quote obviously this should be mandatory. Caste/ Creed/ Religion- No bar. Gender included. :D

Plus, I see that most women riders wear designer helmets just for the sake of it, which are nothing more than colourful skull caps. I really hope that a bare minimum standard for helmets are laid so that at least they offer some meaningful protection to the bearer in case of a crash/ fall.

Nevertheless, step in good direction in way of the court order, but sadly coming quite late.

Regards,
Saket

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4423911)
I would like to know the reason why it wasn't mandatory till now. Also, I am not aware of rules in other states regarding helmets, but quote obviously this should be mandatory. Caste/ Creed/ Religion- No bar. Gender included. :D

Plus, I see that most women riders wear designer helmets just for the sake of it, which are nothing more than colourful skull caps. I really hope that a bare minimum standard for helmets are laid so that at least they offer some meaningful protection to the bearer in case of a crash/ fall.

Nevertheless, step in good direction in way of the court order, but sadly coming quite late.

Regards,
Saket

Fully endorse your viewpoint. Its strange that on one end women demand equality in all spheres of life but when it comes to their safety they come up with ridiculous excuses. Many women cite that wearing helmets make them feel claustrophobic and ruin their hair dos. Taking a cue from such public opposition the ever clever politicians make such wise initiatives as prestige issues and pester the authorities to tow their line. As regard the authorities are concerned they always shirk away from taking those policy decisions which are likely to a annoy a section of populace thereby affecting the vote bank of the political parties. A similar kind of proposal was mooted more than a decade ago also but had to be rolled back due to stiff opposition from regional political outfits demanding total exemption from wearing helmets for all Sikh women. The reason cited was that this very order hurt religious sentiments. With mounting pressure owing to public protest, the authorities had to relent. Initially it was decided to exempt only Sikh women two wheeler riders from wearing helmets but eventually this lead to large scale protest from majority of other non Sikh women riders who accused the authorities of a biased attitude. Ultimately the authorities exempted all women from wearing helmets. All these happenings prove beyond doubt that people don't care two hoots about their own safety and make irrelevant excuses to bypass the laws. What a pity!!!

Regards

Finally attitudes have caught up with biology and physics. I assume nothing stopped women (Sikh or of other religions) from wearing a helmet regardless of there being no rule.

To the best of my knowledge, most states in North India have exempted lady drivers and pillion from helmets. It originated from "hurting religious sentiments" of a particular community and has been misused by women all over.

Chandigarh...the fashion capital of the 2 way brigade is definitely going to take a hit for this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by caramit (Post 4423985)
To the best of my knowledge, most states in North India have exempted lady drivers and pillion from helmets. It originated from "hurting religious sentiments" of a particular community and has been misused by women all over.

Chandigarh...the fashion capital of the 2 way brigade is definitely going to take a hit for this.

The political parties have used this and people have taken undue advantage of ' hurting religious sentiments'. The police goes on back foot as they don't know who is who and how far are they connected so it was going on.
We in India in some cases have taken democracy for granted and approach the judiciary whenever any new rule or change is going to disturb our setup. We don't stand together on these issues but take the shorter way by taking a stay on implementation. Increase in population demands strict traffic laws. We have advanced in traffic safety but still far behind the growth rate.
Women who are aware of the hazard while riding a two wheeler do not care about this rule as they have been wearing helmets for sometime but women and girls who are careless especially the younger generation do not care.
Living in Chandigarh since early 1980s I have seen traffic grow along with traffic accidents. Last couple of years shocked to see so many young female riders not wearing helmets, jumping red lights and riding in the opposite lanes. It is really shocking and sad.