Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2018, 12:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Locked inside an Audi - Beware of VW's deadlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To avoid 'deadlock', you have to press the lock button twice while locking the car.

Really stupid feature though. VW should abandon it.
Quite unnecessary a feature - unless the car was to be used for Kidnapping ? Keep the captive inside and lock the car. No way he'll get out unless the glass is broken.

Audi / VW could may be reverse the activation ? Double press on the lock button to enable the deadlock, instead of making it default.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 12:53   #17
BHPian

Can't this feature be disabled via VCDS? I feel there should be permanent way to disable the system rather than pressing the lock button twice.

If someone accidentally leaves someone in the car, the chances that he would still forget to press lock twice are higher.

PS : I haven't left anyone in the car yet, but a few days back, I walked halfway home from a nearby department store (where I go walking everyday) only to realise that my car is in the parking lot.
Old 15th July 2018, 12:53   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think you can disable it using VCDS:

Quote:
With VCDS, Central Conv >> 07 Coding >> Long Coding Helper >> Byte 0 - Central Locking without Safe-Function
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Quite unnecessary a feature - unless the car was to be used for Kidnapping ?
Hahaha! Apparently, the purpose is that a thief shouldn't be able to open the door & enter the car if he breaks open a window. How dumb .
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 15:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
On the contrary, I did the same test on my 2014 Jetta with my son inside, every time when I locked the car, he was able to open all the doors from inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To avoid 'deadlock', you have to press the lock button twice while locking the car.
No way it was present in my old Vento. I remember clearly that I could open the doors, being locked from outside. And I thought it was a feature provided by VAG to be able to open the central lock from inside but not from outside.

Or is it only for automatic central locking (upon taking speed) that could be opened from inside? Even my present Figo could be opened from inside, once the auto central lock is enabled, but will honk intermittently if locked by key fob and opened from inside after a minute.

Moreover, I feel pressing twice should be given for this 'deadlock', instead of by default.
Old 15th July 2018, 15:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Quite unnecessary a feature - unless the car was to be used for Kidnapping ? Keep the captive inside and lock the car. No way he'll get out unless the glass is broken.
I think they are truly inspired by The Transporter and Jason Statham!
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 23:51   #21
BHPian

This feature may have been relevant on a car which, once locked, could be broken into with a scale or using the 'noose on a twine' trick or any other trick a thief would emlploy, other than breaking a window.
These days, opening a high end car using these tricks is increasingly difficult. Breaking a window is an easier option. In such a scenario, this deadlock (safelock) feature appears to be vestigial in the sense that if a window is broken, the feature is no longer useful.

If this is a regulation, then all cars sold in the UK should have a similar feature and not just VW group cars. However, it so appears that the deadlock feature is unique to VW group cars.
Old 16th July 2018, 02:23   #22
Team-BHP Support

Did not know about this before reading the thread. Quite scary!
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks