Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2018, 21:49   #1
BHPian

Locked inside an Audi - Beware of VW's deadlock

A profoundly unsettling experience today.

We came back from a trip and parked the car in our driveway. My wife, my son and I got out of the car. My daughter, however, was playing with a toy and did not exit the car immediately.

Meanwhile, my son, who was playing with the key, locked the car. For a minute or so, we did not realise that our nine-year-old daughter was still inside the car. She tried to open the doors, press the door unlock button and even sound the horn. Nothing worked. The car was totally dead and unresponsive.

Fortunately, we found she was not at the front door of the house when we were trying to open it. I immediately unlocked the car and my daughter came out - completely shaken and crying.

This is purely my fault I agree. But I was surprised that she couldn't get out of the car even if it is locked from the outside. To test, I entered the car; closed the doors and asked my wife to lock it. She did. Then I tried to get out of the car and I couldn't.

1. Doors were locked. Couldn't open them.
2. Door unlock buttons on both doors were unresponsive.
3. Boot open button did not work.
4. Horn did not work.

In other words, there was no way I could get out of the car. This realisation was completely unsettling. God forbid, what would have happened if it was my daughter in that situation without anyone knowing she was in the car?

The car in question is an Audi A6 Estate model (2018 version). I still can't come to terms with this finding. Am I missing something basic and really simple here? Can't believe there is no way a person *inside* the car can get out if the car is centrally locked.
venuvedam is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 14th July 2018, 22:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Locked inside an Audi - Beware of VW's deadlock

Horn does not work if the ignition is off, but I thought all VAG cars could be unlocked from inside unless child lock is enabled. Scary indeed.

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2018 at 20:09. Reason: typo
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2018, 23:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

I wonder if all Volkswagen cars have this bug (or feature):
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nside-car.html
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 00:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I wonder if all Volkswagen cars have this bug (or feature):
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nside-car.html
Thanks for this link. I could have posted my story there itself instead of opening my own new thread.

I will try to open the boot manually from inside.
venuvedam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 02:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

I think your car like most other VAG cars, has a deadlock. So when you lock it normally, none of this works on the inside. But if you press the lock button twice, then the inside handles work. Lets see if this works.
Akshay1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 03:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
I think your car like most other VAG cars, has a deadlock. So when you lock it normally, none of this works on the inside. But if you press the lock button twice, then the inside handles work. Lets see if this works.
Tried it just now. No luck. I even tried to activate the emergency boot release but unfortunately, even that didn't work. Maybe because the boot door is powered?

So, in essence, this is like a prison. You shove somebody into the car and simply lock it. They can't get out without breaking the window panes!

Scary - What if the electronics malfunction and the car doesn't let us get out? There has to be an emergency hatch to open the doors from inside. Otherwise, it is a serious safety issue.
venuvedam is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 06:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats very unsettling.

In instances like Mumbai flood people have lost their lives because the electronics shorted and they could not get out. Here, as you say, car becomes a prison.

Outside to inside protection is the need but inside to out should never be blocked.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 06:25   #8
BHPian

As far as I remember VAG cars especially in the Skoda Octavia , the windows and the windshield is very strong bordering on the unbreakable territory. A friend of mine had shared his experience of how he had locked himself in the car.

It is scary indeed , no doubt protection and build quality is an important USP of these cars but it should never lead to a scenario as to where one's prized possession turns into a prison.
Old 15th July 2018, 08:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible that the child lock was on, because of which you couldnt come out? In Skoda, the car can be locked from ourside or inside. However, it can be opened by someone from inside, unless the child lock is on. Suggest you take it up with Audi and see if there is a manual overide or this can be disabled through firmware update.

It is a scary thought. What if it was a pet who can't even bang on the windows.
Old 15th July 2018, 09:40   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think so.

AFAIK no car has child lock on driver door. Plus mostly it's a mechanical disengagement that prevents opening from inside.
Old 15th July 2018, 09:48   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Locked inside an Audi - Beware of VW's deadlock

Smartcat & Akshay1234 got it spot on. This is 'deadlock' - a feature present in all VAG cars. My brother's Jetta gives out a 'check deadlock' warning on the MID every time you switch off the engine.

To avoid 'deadlock', you have to press the lock button twice while locking the car.

Really stupid feature though. VW should abandon it.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 09:59   #12
BHPian

There is some kind of a regulation in some European nation that requires this as an anti theft feature. Even some variants of our models exported to Europe have this kind of a door lock. & I've been pretty scared of such a thing happening to my family. So I just keep a small hammer in the driver door pocket.
Old 15th July 2018, 10:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Smartcat & Akshay1234 got it spot on. This is 'deadlock' - a feature present in all VAG cars. My brother's Jetta gives out a 'check deadlock' warning on the MID every time you switch off the engine.

To avoid 'deadlock', you have to press the lock button twice while locking the car.

Really stupid feature though. VW should abandon it.
One correction, VW cars call it the SAFELOCK mechanism. It even appears on the MID post locking. It works exactly like the deadlock mechanism that the OP mentioned, but is named differently.

Here are the steps to enable or disable it:

- Pressing the lock button on the key fob once will activate the safelock function. The interior door handles will not function in this condition

- Pressing the lock button twice in succession should deactivate the mechanism and render the door handles usable

It is truly a stupid feature though. Can do more harm than good in most situations.

I will try this on my Jetta and get back possibly with a video.

Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 15th July 2018 at 10:25.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 10:36   #14
BHPian

This feature is so dumb that they should have called it DUMBLOCK. Even if EU regulations demand it, shouldn't this feature be activated as a choice and not be default? Pressing the key fob twice should activate it and not vice versa. Looks like some EU politician left his brain at home on the day they wrote these regulations!!!
green_ninja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 10:51   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

On the contrary, I did the same test on my 2014 Jetta with my son inside, every time when I locked the car, he was able to open all the doors from inside. This was repeated with Pressing the lock button on the key fob once, twice and thrice in succession, and each time he was able to open the door from inside, where as from outside the door was always locked.

So I don't see this risk in my Jetta HL 2014.
manjubp is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks