Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2018, 10:40   #256
BHPian

Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
My wild idea is: can we assemble a team to inspect the vehicle or at least arrange and oversee an inspection by M&M of the crashed vehicle?
Interesting idea, but the fact is that the crashed vehicle is basically a crime scene right now.

And the first person to lay their hands on it for investigative purposes bears a tremendous responsibility, because their methodology of investigation determines whether their findings will be taken seriously, or simply thrown out of court.

I can understand Arvind's consternation at who gets to investigate the specifics of the airbag failure - It will pretty much determine which way this whole case swings. Not a matter to be taken lightly.

Last edited by ads1485 : 6th August 2018 at 10:41.
ads1485 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:46   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
My wild idea is: can we assemble a team to inspect the vehicle or at least arrange and oversee an inspection by M&M of the crashed vehicle?

So, IMHO, to end this catch-22 situation, we should mediate and arrange access for M&M to the crashed vehicle under our supervision.
Very good idea, I too had this in mind. I request the forum management to consider this option.

Arvind is getting no information on certifications. So besides the manufacturer, shall we suggest Arvind to talk to certifying bodies like ARAI? These bodies too are answerable in such cases and they too can be questioned.

How many times we hear / read about the insensitivity of Govt. officers / bureaucrats towards the safety and life of common man on road. As long as common man lost life on streets, these officers ignore. When their own near and dear suffers, they get angry remember the law / liability etc.

Let us appeal to all those officers bearing high responsibility: "Do not compromise the safety for the sake of vested interests, if any. One day, you could loose someone close to you. Or maybe your own life is lost. No amount of white / black money is going to give you solace that time."

PS: Can the experts on the forum help Arvind to make a case against the all the concerned agencies (including but not limited to the manufacturer) to agree for a joint investigation.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:49   #258
BHPian

ArivindB Sir, am extremely sorry to hear about this incident. I cannot begin to imagine what you and your family must be going through. My prayers are with you and your son and and I wish him a complete and speedy recovery. Don't lose hope even if things don't look very promising.

As for Mahindra, this incident will ensure I never buy or recommend a Mahindra vehicle to anyone, ever. I am disappointed that Mr. Mahindra hasn't responded or even acknowledged your messages to him.

I hope things improve soon. Stay strong.
sunny310c is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 13:06   #259
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindb4 View Post
No sir I had to remove it after insurance survey as Dealer was demanding parking charges. It's safe and secure at my vacant gated plot. Covered fully
Car was with Mahindra dealer for sometime as per this post by Aravind

OT: Is it possible for Team-Bhp to start a thread where in members can add instances of airbag failure, car model and manufacturer.

Over a period of time we will sufficient data which will give an idea in general

Last edited by rkg : 6th August 2018 at 13:11.
rkg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 14:56   #260

My Friend forwarded me this thread yesterday as an XUV500 owner and I have tried to go through all the posts. My heartfelt prayers to Madhav to have a full recovery and was glad to note recent positive progress as posted.

While there are a lot of negative comments starting in the very beginning of posts about the promoters of the brand and apathy, I feel going forward the manufacturer must be allowed to investigate the matter in the interest of reaching some conclusion on the failure of deployment.

While we seem to have accepted that in India regulations are not as severe as in ‘developed’ countries we might be doing an injustice to ourselves by assuming all Indian entities are crooked by default and intent.

I am not advocating for any entity here and am concerned as an owner of the brand but more so as a concerned individual for the safety and well being of all. My personal experience has been positive when interacting with the reps of the Brand but that has been my experience and I would not challenge other peoples experience whether negative or positive.

We all should support getting to a conclusion while Arvindji focuses on his son's recovery and the family’s well being.

Last edited by SDP : 7th August 2018 at 16:53. Reason: Minor typos
scorpioceo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 15:58   #261
BHPian

If Mr.Arvind's team could gather pictures or data from insurance surveyors or from mahindra body shops about crashed XUVs with intact airbags, it would further help his cause and substantiate their ''are you safe in this car''.

The opposite could also happen from mahindra's side. They might come out with deployed airbag numbers.
crdi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 18:25   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
The opposite could also happen from mahindra's side. They might come out with deployed airbag numbers.
If you look at one of the initial pictures on Page 1, it looks like the driver airbag is intact and not deployed.

XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)-untitled.jpg
cbatrody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 10:02   #263
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this in via our share page!

Quote:
I have been following the XUV500 crash and the subsequent developments, and its disturbing to say the least.

Since Mr.Arvind has been asking for a third party neutral investigation, what steps have been taken on this front?

ADAC in Germany, is where all crash tests and accident analysis are made. I believe NDTV Car and Bike show (Mr. Siddharth) had made some tests here in ADAC on his show to show how unsafe Indian small cars are.

Why not approach ADAC for their assistance on this case?

Just google for ADAC and you will find all the details.

I hope his sons recovers, but if Mr.Aravind demands a neutral investigation, I think ADAC would be ideal.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 12:15   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
I would suggest adding Mahindra XUV in the subject line and this can be sticked on all cars not only XUV. The point here is to defame Mahindra not XUV.
Agree. This should be done on all Mahindra vehicles including Xylo, KUV, Scorpio, bolero etc. Mahindra has been making unsafe cars and is putting lives of people at stake
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 13:45   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
I have only one thing to say about the current 6-airbag non deployment- its a supplemental restraint system- that works under a given set of parameters. If you notice the speed at which the car met with the accident, it is reasonably posible that the battery disconnected, or the main fuse blew and thats why the SRS did not deploy. But that speed- how is that excused?

They dont have a stellar record for designing robust and safe cars.

This makes that incident a toss up- and tragic, but that speed?
Apologies Sir, for cross-posting my response in a different thread, but a response would not have been pertinent on a thread on Mahindra's supposed ambitions.
  • We don't have any evidence or data (yet) on the speeds involved in the said accident; so I'd request you not to speculate. I hope you find this request fair.
  • However even if we grant, for a moment, that high speeds were indeed involved, and perhaps some component was knocked out before the entire system could trigger, does it not point to an even larger design flaw, than the current suspects viz. Airbag algorithm or Mahindra's maintenance?
  • I have yet to see any advert or technical manual that say -

Quote:
    For your and your loved ones' safety, your car is equipped with 2/4/6/8 airbags, which will deploy* in the case of an unfortunate accident and provide cushioning to the impact.

*works up to 80 kmph effective collision speed, all sensor activation parameters satisfied, may not activate when most needed
roy_libran is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 14:00   #266
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this in via our share page!

Quote:
The car's airbag control module will have a data recorder (speed, impact sensor values...like an Aircraft's Blackbox) - its common for all cars.

Airbag Control Module will have to be protected for safe keeping for Arvind to find justice in this case - the manufacturer can overwrite the module or erase the data, or load modified data.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 16:24   #267
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
....Mahindra has been making unsafe cars and is putting lives of people at stake
Can you please substantiate the claim with some data points (eg. Accident statistics)?
SDP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 17:05   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
The car's airbag control module will have a data recorder (speed, impact sensor values...like an Aircraft's Blackbox) - its common for all cars.

Airbag Control Module will have to be protected for safe keeping for Arvind to find justice in this case - the manufacturer can overwrite the module or erase the data, or load modified data.
The communication from Mr. Wadhera says that the data will be recorded only when the airbags deploy.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 18:39   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Can you please substantiate the claim with some data points (eg. Accident statistics)?
Definitely. The metric i would use is a ratio
Numerator=Number of cases reported on Team-Bhp of XUV airbags not deploying
Denominator=Number of XUVs sold

This from a search on any vehicle is much more for XUV

Assumption: Team-BHP sample is representative of the buyer population across manufacturers more or less and definitely for SUVs

Of course, there are flaws in this approach but this is the heuristic that i used to arrive at the unsafe nature of XUVs. There are more examples in this thread itself
Just look at the number of issues reported with XUVs: airbags not deploying in accidents, bent alloy wheels at low speeds, chassis weldings coming off etc

Last edited by bhpfaninblr : 7th August 2018 at 18:44.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 18:46   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Definitely. The metric i would use is a ratio
Numerator=Number of cases reported on Team-Bhp of XUV airbags not deploying
Denominator=Number of XUVs sold

This from a search on any vehicle is much more for XUV

Assumption: Team-BHP sample is representative of the buyer population across manufacturers more or less and definitely for SUVs
Purely out of curiosity, do you have numbers for the numerator and denominator, and would you care to share them?
ajayclicks is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks