Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2018, 00:14   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I would not expect any such thing from Arvind now.

My guess is, lawyers are already involved and posting any documents related to the case here, would not be possible anymore. Heck, he would even have to be very careful about the words that he puts up here.
I've watched this thread a long time, so must have lots of people who posted, read, discussed & dissected this case as it's out in a public domain. Rightly so, it's a public interest case, if it does get to court, judgement will have far reaching ramifications. As a member here & someone involved in discussion already, l feel:

--Arvind has a moral obligation to state here what's happening between him and M&M, at what stage proceedings are or
-- If he says, it's a legal matter and lawyers have advised him to stay quiet or in the background.

That's an understandable position and for me, end of posts here, till Arvind has some concrete sharable news.
ramkya1 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 08:14   #482
BHPian

Skimming through the 33 pages of case paper that this thread is, I have the following submissions :

- I understand OP's limitations in posting the facts behind the proceedings, given how this is sub-judice and keen legal eyes follow every documented sentence by him. However, in the same spirit, why engage in rhetoric and give poetic color to the case? The OP has been posting off-and-on, and while I whole-heartedly empathize with his pain, his posts are nothing but an indirect pot-shots at the manufacturer, while nothing has been proved at least to public eyes. His posts would make immense sense, were they backed by facts, but since he is bound by the obvious, a status quo would be a better position. Please correct me if I am wrong!

- I am a father of two, and far from insensitive to OP's situation. It is human to react the way he has, and to maintain the position that he has - Heck, I would go all out, too! However, lest we forget, at the other end is an industry leader who's yet to be proven to be in the wrong. The power of this forum isn't unknown to any, and the last thing we BHPians would like to conclude to is 'mob justice'. I am all for a healthy debate, but the keyword here is healthy. Engineering is not driven emotionally, nor is workmanship. Reputations and brands aren't built overnight - it takes years of effort and tens of thousands of people with a mission and vision to do that. Make no mistake, I am not undermining the necessity of EVERY advertised feature of the car, safety or otherwise, to work as advertised or it's intended to. But then again, given how strong the voice of this platform is, we might already be discouraging prospect buyers from putting their money down on XUV 5OO - on which the jury is still out on its safety, or the lack of it. I understand, the posts in this thread are just opinions, but the way human brain works, they tend to pollute ones' decisions.

I've been to court with Tata years back, with the bonnet lock on my Indigo giving away and shattering the windshield, and ended up winning too - I have a bleak idea of what it is like to fight with these behemoths, but it's easier than it is made out to be, honestly. That thread is posted on the forum too.

Not denoting that the thread ought to be closed, but let's be cognizant of the above two points, shall we please?

Disclaimer : I don't own a Mahindra product, and have never been a fanboy of any brand.

Last edited by mathranik : 2nd September 2018 at 08:21.
mathranik is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 08:48   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

There are a number of threads that have come up involving a David v Goliath situation, but for far less serious matters. Most of them, I recall, have ended with the OP closing off with "xyz presented a solution that I agree with, but I cannot disclose it here due to it being conditional on no more discussions". They may communicate it to the mods, or not, I don't know.
In this case, if Mahindra takes care of its liability, it should reflect in some kind of recall,wouldn't it?
That would let us know something at least.
In the meantime, if the thread pressurises the manufacturer to act, it should be allowed to continue in this case, when it can be allowed for lesser cases which did not involve life or limb.
mayankk is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 12:12   #484
BHPian

The OP comes with a report of an accident. One that is heart wrenching. In my opinion the product as envisaged by the common person/lay person does not work. The product i.e airbags imho should have deployed. I guess this is what a reasonable human being's expectations would be after viewing the photo's.

As a forum, summarizing (in my opinion) views fall in 3 buckets. Either we believe that the product functioned as intended and hence the airbags did not deploy, the product malfunctioned and was partly responsible for the injuries and thirdly the view that we do not have enough facts to take a call. Every one is entitled to their opinion. There is no absolute truth till now as it the accident has not yet been investigated. However I am glad that unanimously we espouse that our best wishes and prayers are with Madhav. I too pray that Madhav makes a speedy recovery.

The playbook of most PR/Lobbyist firms are:

1) Discredit the victim : Driving extremely fast, not buckled seat belts, young driver etc
2) Discredit the OP : irrational, emotional unstable, untruthful etc
3) Discredit the supporters : Unscientific, biased views, etc
4) Create imaginary red-flags: Seat belts, co-passenger statement, etc
5) Expert view : Give pseudo-knowledgeable views etc.
6) Stop : Close the thread etc

I hope we do not fall in this trap and as articulated by the moderators I am glad thread is open.

I am surprised that we expect the OP to spend time answering our questions. Actually not just that, emotionally blackmail him by talking about moral obligations or what ever that means. I for one am happy that he has appraised us of this issue. Its his prerogative imho to answer questions or not. If he does not chose to do so, it should not reflect badly on him at all. My advise also would be to not put out views/documents etc till they are vetted by lawyers.

As for the ethical part of M&M social team, its worth reading the following link.

https://www.motorbeam.com/mahindras-...nts-motorbeam/

I understand the structure of our forum is different, wherein access of M&M corporate is limited. I hope we do not get swayed by the machinations of the playbook nonetheless. More power and strength to the OP.
arakhanna is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 13:47   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arakhanna View Post
As a forum, summarizing (in my opinion) views fall in 3 buckets. Either we believe that the product functioned as intended and hence the airbags did not deploy, the product malfunctioned and was partly responsible for the injuries and thirdly the view that we do not have enough facts to take a call. Every one is entitled to their opinion. There is no absolute truth till now as it the accident has not yet been investigated.
The playbook of most PR/Lobbyist firms are:

1) Discredit the victim : Driving extremely fast, not buckled seat belts, young driver etc
2) Discredit the OP : irrational, emotional unstable, untruthful etc
3) Discredit the supporters : Unscientific, biased views, etc
4) Create imaginary red-flags: Seat belts, co-passenger statement, etc
5) Expert view : Give pseudo-knowledgeable views etc.
6) Stop : Close the thread etc

I hope we do not fall in this trap and as articulated by the moderators I am glad thread is open.
If he does not chose to do so, it should not reflect badly on him at all. My advise also would be to not put out views/documents etc till they are vetted by lawyers.

As for the ethical part of M&M social team, its worth reading the following link.

https://www.motorbeam.com/mahindras-...nts-motorbeam/
Words of wisdom and common sense. Thank you for putting this down in such an articulate manner. Compliments to you.

All those on the forum who are writing for M&M or questioning the OP have every right o do so and that is what makes T-BHP an honest & rich forum. In my view it is almost certain M&Ms PR & Legal departments will make use of those very posts to muddy the waters to place arguments in their own favour.

It is my view, and I could be wrong, that M&M are banking on our slow and expensive judicial system to safe them the trouble of answering on the source and quality of their air bags and the reliability testing their safety hardware and software. All M&M have to do is wear the OP down by dragging matters out. As I said in an earlier post M&M would have conducted themselves very differently if this had happened in USA a market they are trying to make forays into. They would have been standing on their heads right now trying for an out of court settlement if this were the US of A. But they can afford to be blasé here.

Let us not get swayed by suave photos and cool twitter posts that are a part of an well orchestrated exercise to build the right desired image.
V.Narayan is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 18:32   #486
BHPian

Wishing Madhav a speedy recovery.

This thread have gone very far and there is nothing more I can add to the thread.
I think Aravind has done a good job by not allowing emotions take over in his posts (mostly).
I guess we should not discuss anything out of topic in this thread anymore which adds no value and might scar the feelings of OP.

Hope this case settles soon and justice is served where it's due

Last edited by Asish_VK : 4th September 2018 at 18:33.
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 15:18   #487
BHPian

Saw this today. It's really a good gesture from Mahindra and Mr. Anand Mahindra.

XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)-zmah.jpg

Why doesn't Mr. Anand Mahindra have couple of minutes to tweet a message to Arvind assuring him appropriate action would be taken. A response from him would be comforting Arvind and every one else including TBHP members.

Looks like he wants to come in only for good news and happy occasions.

He should read this:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/great...sh-gnanasekar/
JohnyBoy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 17:37   #488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
Why doesn't Mr. Anand Mahindra have couple of minutes to tweet a message to Arvind assuring him appropriate action would be taken. A response from him would be comforting Arvind and every one else including TBHP members.
There is no such thing as bad publicity

The above quote is NOT applicable in this case. There is no upside for Anand Mahindra & his company if he draws attention of his followers and mainstream media to this particular incident.
SmartCat is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 12:24   #489
BHPian

Was reading an article about how a Tata dealer was successfully sued for selling a used car as new (not entirely relevant to this thread).

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/chan...w/65752441.cms

However, couldn't help but notice that an expert committee was formed by PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh whose inspection was conducted in the presence of all parties.

Could a similar solution pan out here? Won't similar Universities serve a purpose in Arvind's case?
Jeevith is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 18:10   #490
BHPian

I am not giving up ever. Patience is the key. I have to restrain on sharing for now.
Madhav is lucky to have the bhp team behind him.
I am visiting as time allows, patients who have no support. This family from Ranchi said they have no choice but to sell their nephew to beg. They can't even afford to feed him. Treatment is a distant dream.
I am trying to crowd fund his surgery. There are so many...
arvindb4 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 18:42   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindb4 View Post
I am not giving up ever. Patience is the key. I have to restrain on sharing for now.
Madhav is lucky to have the bhp team behind him.
I am visiting as time allows, patients who have no support. This family from Ranchi said they have no choice but to sell their nephew to beg. They can't even afford to feed him. Treatment is a distant dream.
We support you whole heartedly and we all have enough patience to wait for the final verdict, whatever time it takes. Take care of Madhav.
roby_dk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 19:52   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindb4 View Post
I am not giving up ever. ------

Treatment is a distant dream.
As much as it is heartbreaking to read your post, it is also inspiring to see the brave front you have put. One can only imagine what you are going through. You might want to share the crowdfund link or A/C details (of course, after checking with the Mods on the way to do it) here. Please do not hesitate. There are many here that empathise with you and will do whatever they can do in their capacity to support you.

A sincere appeal to all asking for data/facts and blaming people for including emotions in their posts - This forum is made by humans who are passionate about most things on wheels. We name our cars, some even go as far as writing from the perspective of the car; we get hurt when our cars get scratched; we become irrational when somebody accidentally hits our car; we even start hating people that don't like our cars... Here it's OP's son. His flesh and blood. I am sure our collective conscience can accept that level/source of emotion. Thanks!
Biraj is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 22:41   #493
BANNED

If the front airbags deployed in this car:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4460949

Then I see no reason for them not to deploy in the XUV on which this thread is based on, I mean to say that the damage is a lot similar looking in both the cases; especially if we check it externally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post

1 out of 1000 is 0.1 %.
Thanks for correcting me man, I stand corrected there.

@Arvind:
I just wanted to know that won't it cause a harm to the car that you have probably kept parked in your plot of land? It's monsoon and everyone knows how good freinds the electronics are to the water.

Last edited by VKumar : 14th September 2018 at 22:46.
VKumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 10:14   #494
BHPian

I am sharing similar incident happened in Sep 2018 shared by my friend from Army, where none of airbags didn't inflate despite being directly hit on front bumper. He has initiated mail to Mahindra which is given below:

---------- message ---------
Date: Tue 18 Sep, 2018, 1:55 PM
Subject: Non Deployment of Airbags
To: <nair.mohan@mahindra.com>

Dear Mohan
1. This is to bring to your notice that I’m serving Army Officer and had bought Mahindra XUV 500 W8 model in the year May 2015 (PB07 AS 3720). Prime reason of me buying XUV was the looks of the car, power of the engine, customer service and safety features.
2. Recently, I had taken a road trip to Leh along with my Wife, Sis-in-law, and my wife's childhood friend from 31 Aug - 09 Sep.
3. So on 1st Sep I was driving on Jammu Srinagar highway...25 km short of Srinagar. 6 lane highway. I was at a comfortable speed of 100-110 and a Fortuner was driving ahead of us.
4. Suddenly the Fortuner braked and I also braked. But unfortunately my veh banged into the Fortuner and my vehicle's frontal portion got damaged badly...check photos attached.
5. To my horror, none of the air bags got deployed in spite of the fact that all four of us were with our seat belts ON, servicing of the car done in Aug 2018 at authorized service center and no bull bars attached to the vehicle's front. All three passengers got severe muscle pulls and I got a head injury plus my eyelid got a cut which later had to be lacerated. I was in ICU for a day. All this because none of the air bag got deployed. This mail functioning could have resulted in fatal casualties too.
6. The vehicle had claimed to have 6 airbags but when it was required during such a mishap. None of it helped. And when the vehicle was serviced also in the month of Aug 2018 prior to taking the road trip.
7. I ensured everything I could have done before the trip wrt to the security of me and my family but the malfunctioning of the safety equipment really let us down and could have got us all killed.
8. Today the vehicle is getting repaired at Mahindra service center in Srinagar and total expected expenditure on it is likely to be 3-4 lakhs. It's been almost ten days after which work on it started. Adding to the harassment further.
9. My friends and well-wishers had asked me to file a legal suit against the company as the safety features went malfunctioning which could have claimed Ur life. But I thought IL first write to the customer care which I did on 16 Sep 18 (Inderpreet Singh, Chandigarh) and take their opinion and their reply on the malfunctioning before further processing the case legally for compensation.
10. The present car with severe safety malfunctioning be replaced immediately and I Should be provided with a brand new car and adequate compensation be given to me in this aspect by the company which has a name and reputation of providing the best SUVs in India.
11. Looking forward for an early reply.

Thank you

---------- message ---------
Attached Thumbnails
XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)-img20180919wa0046.jpg  

XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)-img20180919wa0049.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th September 2018 at 14:48. Reason: Formatting slightly.
rakesht_ripps is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 10:45   #495
Senior - BHPian

Where exactly are those airbag sensors located? Can any XUV owner or other knowledgeable person post a pic of the front of the XUV and mark the spots where the sensors are?

Also I believe it would be a good idea to have the manufacturers visually identify the locations of the airbag sensors by painting some marking at those locations. It would be much easier to tell if the hit took place at a place that shoukd have triggered the airbags.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks