Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2018, 19:46   #106
BHPian

Re: 2013 Mahindra XUV-500 W8. Severe crash & not a single airbag deployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
It’s truly unfortunate to see victim blaming and shaming in the last 7 pages. Some XUV owners seem to have taken the OPs words as some sort of personal attack. Hardly the time to get defensive when someone has been hurt seriously.
Horrible to say the least. Mahindra should stick to manufacturing tractors and farm equipment. XUV500 is an example of a poorly engineered unsafe vehicle. Mahindra has duped the KUV petrol owners (many of them first time buyers) with a dubious engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
1) XUV 500 failing on the safety front somehow does not surprise me. I has had glitch filled electronics right from the start and kept adding to it.

2) I feel basis my prior experience with Aria and other reports that Hexa is engineered better on this front. But this not about that.
XUV500 airbags failing has more than 10 instances on team-bhp itself. Assembling a car is like Apple mating hardware and software. Xiaomi can put in the best hardware with specs better than Apple but can never make an iphone.
I doubt Tata is any better. Their vehicles (especially Indigo and Indica) are known to come apart in a few years

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
I have noticed that this had happened earlier also with XUV. See this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-s...nt-deploy.html

Mahindra should be sued for such callousness!!
Mahindra should stay away from passenger vehicle segment.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 19:53   #107
BHPian

Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

First of all, wishing your son a speedy recovery!

It's really shameful that we have a particular premium car that continues to have multiple incidents of a standard safety mechanism not working as advertised and expected, but the said manufacturer seems least concerned about it!

No wonder that many people strongly consider buying cars that are made for and sold in the west, and then brought here, rather than those conceived with a designed-keeping-local-needs-in-mind tag.

It is high time safety regulations and certification get as much as attention as emissions are.

Last edited by pannags : 26th July 2018 at 19:55.
pannags is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 20:38   #108
BHPian

Hi All.

I am filled with gratitude for the support and suggestions I have read on this thread. I and my family are truly in debited. Madhav is going for another major brain surgery,around the 1st of August, to replace his corneal skull and other issues . It wasn't happening because he picked up an icu bug, highly resistant. His hearing is 80 %damaged and there were 7 fractures around and in the ear aperture.
I am really floored with gratitude I cannot repay ever.

Please pray for Madhav in any way you can. Also I am sorry that I don't have the luxury of time to understand how to wade through this thread, whether sending a PM or being able to reply and quote multiple messages in one go. Please do understand that I see and reply everything from my mobile. I do try to reply and individually. Please Pray Pray and Pray. For Madhav and anyone else who may be suffering.

Madhav is going through his 3rd major brain surgery around the 1st of August. Like to express my gratitude for all the support that I received from all of you.
Please pray for Madhav. Miracles do happen.

God Bless
Arvind

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Please pray for Madhav, his 3rd major brain surgery is scheduled for 1st May

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
I wish your son to get well soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
My deepest wishes for your son to heal fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
It's a reasonably wide road in city limits. How did you infer that the road was busy at the time of the mishap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Hello Arvind. Let me set aside the other aspects of this discussion and ask you this. How is your son now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
There is only one way to interpret the 'message' you have so carefully crafted - that it is in extremely poor taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
A friend had a similar accident in a W10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANNURAN View Post
I lived through (pun intended) a similar event; perhaps even worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshitsi View Post
I am so sorry to hear about the accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
With SUV rollovers and specific to XUV, is there stability control on these vehicles? I remember its been more than a decade since SUVs were found susceptible and changes made to them to mitigate these issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Agree - Vouching for the XUV safety is out of question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I do recall an XUV with 6 airbags which crashed into a house opposite to where I was living in 2015.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
I am so sorry to hear about the accident. Praying for your son's fully & timely recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
I am so sorry to hear this. I hope he recovers soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwD View Post
Hi Arvind, I sincerely wish your son a speedy recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Wishing your son a speedy recovery!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoo View Post
I am so sorry to hear about your son, Arvind. Hope he recovers fully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
No idea, my friend. In fact, I did take a long look under the hood of my W8 yesterday and failed to locate it.
Quote:
When I was typing out the message, this was the exact response I expected. Without understanding the intentions of the person posting, the bashing began.
Quote:
Another instance of the XUV 500 airbags not deploying. Given the puny sales it generates, this number of airbag deployment failures seems astronomical. Really shameful for Mahindra as a car manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Mahindra as a brand is completely OFF my list and it is probably off many people's list. Badly designed vehicles, the scorpio itself is nothing but a bloated ego on the roads. The xuv is just an urban iteration of it.

My prayers to you in this very difficult time. Your son will come out stronger from this incident than when he went in before. And you have shown the courage of a father, a gentleman, and a warrior all in one.

If anything, the driving leadership team behind Team Bhp MUST stand behind you and help uncover the truth. The leadership team's onus is to help uncover this for and on behalf of every single mahindra car owner who is a member here and contributes actively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Questionable airbags and iffy quality control. In 2014 a member opened a thread here about his XUV with broken spot welds in A-pillar.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ace-frame.html

arvindb4 I wish your son a complete recovery, may god bless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Praying to the divine that your young lad is out of danger soon.

Do you think a tweet or a petition to the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways , Govt of India, (Nitin Gadkari's ministry), about this ghastly incident can wake up our policymakers?
Yes, again, this is a gray area , as most policy makers are pressurised heavily by lobby groups representing the industries they legislate for , but at least some noise can be created.
Also it seems "apparently" that government of India "intends" to do something w.r.t. vehicular safety, now that they have brought in the new BNVSAP norms , making ISOFIX mandatory etc.
Maybe someone somewhere will have enough conscience left to "change the system " from a policy level perspective .
Because I feel, unless pressure comes from the very top and legislation mandates compulsory checks and balances, no industry will voluntary change things for the better, from the consumer perspective , that is , in our country.
Sad, but very true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_x1 View Post
Arvind, very sorry to hear about the accident. Wishing your son a full and speedy recovery.

I was strongly considering the XUV, until I saw this thread. It's a shame that design /QC standards are not taken seriously, especially for the safety gear.

EDR (Event Data recorder) data would be very useful in such cases and will not allow the car maker lie his way out. Can experts comment if XUV has an EDR at all?

What does EDR record:
http://prtassoc.com/html/edr/edr_intro.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindb4 View Post
Believe me, prayers, positivity and perseverance has the biggest share in Madhav's inching forward. Please do keep him in your prayers. I shall be forever grateful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
I wish your son a complete and speedy recovery on behalf of myself and everyone in this community. From what little you have mentioned about him, i can see that he's a fighter and I'm sure that he's going to come out of this stronger than ever.
Quote:
The number of quality issues with the XUV is ghastly. In the above thread, they offered to give a 6 month warranty on their work in cutting open the A-pillar for a manufacturing fault. Worst quality and safety control by Mahindra
Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Though I appreciate the efforts that go into developing and producing a fully indigenous vehicle, yet it should not undermine the very basics of "properly functional active and passive safety hardware".
Quote:
Really appreciate your suggestions and I certainly wish to implement them. Shall keep everyone updated.
Quote:
Hi I am a newbie here. Cannot figure how to pm. Please help
Quote:
Correct and Correct.
Quote:
Cannot agree more. Mahindra should stick to making tractors and avoid the consumer vehicle space. The travails of the XUV buyers owing to safety gaps and the KUV vehicles suffering due to the terrible petrol engine are heart wrenching. Shameful Mahindra!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_antony View Post
Curtain airbags should have been deployed : https://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle-...obile-barrier/
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Absolutely devastated to hear about your son, Arvind. I wish him a quick and complete recovery. Let's hope to jointly take this issue forward with regards to vehicle safety with all manufacturers including Mahindra and Tata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Wishing you and your family, the strength to pull through the difficult times and wishing young Madhav a speedy recovery. One can only imagine the trauma the family goes through when something like this happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
Wish your son a speedy and full recovery.
Quote:
You are so right. I am appealing and trying everywhere. It's time that the Indian consumer is stopped being treated as a Guinea pig to try and test at the cost of their own lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Hi Arvind, You mentioned that you had already reached out to higher ups and Anand Mahindra. Would it be possible to share how the conversation went? It is okay if it is something you do not want to share in public for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearce634 View Post
This is indeed a hair-raising incident. Goosebumps ran down my throat upon seeing the battered wreckage of the car in question, as well as the stark absence of deployed airbags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johny_desparado View Post
Even if any occupants in the car does not amount to anything in life, the vehicle in question must safeguard its occupants. That's the whole idea behind buying a car with airbags and safety tech!
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Arvind mate like everyone here I wish your son Madhav a speedy and 100% full recovery. I know how it feels to see their loved ones in the hospital, it is a terrible feeling. But looking at your courage and will I am sure your son will come out of this sooner than we think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMachine View Post
Very sad to hear about it Arvind. Hope your son recovers soon. while we discuss on what prevented airbags from inflating, shouldn't Mahindra (read Anand Mahindra) have the courtesy, sense of compassion to atleast issue a suo moto investigation into it and help their customer in times of distress? Have we come to a point where it's only business and nothing else matters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapollohelios View Post
I'm extremely sorry for the events that occured and hope and pray that your son does a complete recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
I feel sorry for what happened to your son. Hope he recovers soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
My prayers are with your son. Hope he recovers soon from the physical and mental trauma very soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Just asking, is the air bag deployment failure a regular occurrence in case of XUV?
Quote:
I would be pleased to share. I got the Moderators comment that I cannot comment directly on a Team-BHP member or manufacturer. At least that's what I could understand. So I am avoiding the overstepping. However I am shall soon find a platform where I can share my entire journey so far, including the manufacturer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
This is Sad. Hope you son has full recovery very soon.
Quote:
Quote:
Horrible to say the least. Mahindra should stick to manufacturing tractors and farm equipment. XUV500 is an example of a poorly engineered unsafe vehicle. Mahindra has duped the KUV petrol owners (many of them first time buyers) with a dubious engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
I regret if I was unable to understand how to handle my postings.Dont have the luxury of time.
My heartfelt thanks and gratitude for the support. Madhav is heading for his 3rd Major brain surgery next week. Please put him in your prayers. We believe in miracles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwD View Post
Hi Arvind, I sincerely wish your son a speedy recovery.
Ancap is tested on the awd Xuv500. Internal components are not mentioned. Are we sure that they sell the same car here in India?

Last edited by ampere : 26th July 2018 at 21:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged
arvindb4 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 21:12   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Wishing your son a speedy recovery!
I did approach them. They asked me for couple of lakhs which I cant afford. I requested for reducing and never heard back from them. Any way they are funded by a airbag manufacturer, I was told. I don't know if they would be inherently impartial in a probe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
No idea, my friend.
It's a mystery, I haven't been able to solve and have found no assistance either

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Extremely saddened to hear about this. As a parent of a similarly aged daughter, I deeply sympathize with you.
Thanks. I am working on your leads. Just not getting the time as of now. Too many complications with Madhav's condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Arvindb4 while you are fighting for justice please ensure that these Mahindra guys don't tamper with the possible evidences, in this case the sensor/feedback system of the airbags.
No sir I had to remove it after insurance survey as Dealer was demanding parking charges. It's safe and secure at my vacant gated plot. Covered fully

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
I could relate to you pain, Mr.Arvind. My hearty wishes to your brilliant son a speedy and safe recovery!
You are right. I keep running from pillar to post. Everyone wants to hear but when it comes to helping, it's another story. But I am not giving up in this lifetime.

Quote:
My deepest wishes for your son to heal fast.
Not misinterpreted. It's a dual carriage wide road. Wasn't busy at all. He tried to avert. People drive on the wrong side in gurgaon all the time. There was no roll over. It hit high metal fences and crashed into a green belt area full of tree stumps, rocks etc etc.

Quote:
Let me set aside the other aspects of this discussion and ask you this.
I feel hope atleast from the solidarity I have received here. I am groping myself to find justice and an independent investigation. I am sure that HE shall show the right path.

Last edited by ampere : 26th July 2018 at 21:34. Reason: Back to back posts merged
arvindb4 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 21:52   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Damn, this is just so sad. Invest in a "supposedly" safe(r) car, and then this!

Do you know how this accident happened? Given the pictures of the damage, it is inconceivable as to why did the Side or Curtain air bags NOT deploy. I can still - maybe - understand if the Front airbags did not.

How is your Son's recovery progressing? I really hope that he gets better soon.

And don't just tweet to Mr. Mahindra - Sue him.
Multiple skull fractures. As of now his speech and Comprehension center and hearing are severely damaged. Right side of the body is severely affected. He is heading for another major brain surgery next week, hopefully if infection comes down
arvindb4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 22:41   #111
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen, has anyone noticed how the web portals, which are like the automotive industry's version of Page 3 tabloids, has not written anything about this incident? A car has crashed where the airbags has not deployed and has, as a direct consequence of that, landed the driver in hospital with critical injuries. This would be a sensational story had the car been of some other manufacturer. These tabloids, who seem to have their noses and fingers in every pie and forum, has pretty much ignored this story. One wonders why!

Infact, the last few XUV stories on the net are of the Rs 1.6 lakh discount that Mahindra is offering to sell off their old 2017 stock!

My image of Mahindra has completely changed in the last few days. This is not a one-off incident, as can been seen by the other incidents on this thread. I was shocked to see the Mahindra manual which pointed out the circumstances in which the airbags might not work, for eg when hitting a pole? Why in the world not?! Euro NCAP specifically tests for side pole impact!

What in the world are we being feed in the name of Indian manufacturing? Are all Indian manufacturers following global norms for crash-testing? Are they following atleast the Bharat crash-testing standards? And when in the world are they going to be implemented? God knows how many other models on road are defective death traps.

I pray for the person who is in the hospital and for his family. What has happened has been extremely cruel to him. I hope he recovers fully. And I hope you get justice, OP.
avishar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 23:42   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All.
Madhav is going for another major brain surgery,around the 1st of August, to replace his corneal skull and other issues .

Please pray for Madhav. Miracles do happen.
Arvind Sir, I am extremely disheartened to read this thread and the injuries your son, Madhav, has suffered.
I keep him in my prayers everyday and I pray for his speedy recovery and successful operation on 1st August.
Please always keep a positive demeanor and know that a lot of people you do not know or may never meet are praying for your son and pulling for you.

I hope you have launched a public complaint in our government complaint portal pg.portal.in and requested competent authority to look into the airbags issue.

PG Portal Link
Ithaca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 00:17   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Arvind, I am so sorry for the pain and anguish that you and your family must be enduring. Seeing a child suffer is one of the worst emotions a parent has to endure. I totally empathise with your situation vis a vis Mahindra. My family experience with a Tata Safari back in the early 2000s has taken all Tata cars off our consideration list..permanently. Now, I guess your experience and the Mahindra Group's extremely callous response to your pain has perforce struck yet another Indian automobile manufacturer off my list.

My Mom had suffered a stroke in the early '90s and by God's grace & blessings recovered to 99% of normalcy. In much the same way, with Gods blessings combined with your son's youth and the advanced medical care available today I am sure he too shall recover to lead a normal life. Do not give up.

PS - No offence to any Tata or Mahindra fans out there.

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th July 2018 at 00:21. Reason: added PS
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 01:02   #114
Senior - BHPian

So sorry to hear about your ordeal Arvind. Pray for your son's full recovery.

As an XUV owner one of the reasons i went for W8 was all the extra safety features it came with but case like this makes me wonder if its worth anything. I dont want to bash Mahindra here cause its not like other manufacturers like Maruti, hyundai havn't watered down their cars selling in India for structural integrity. Situation wouldn't have been any different with other manufacturers.

What we lack is a proper govt body with no stake in the game to be neutral in assessment. Hope you are able to get some independent agency look into this and make Mahindra accountable. The damage on the door cannot be explained unless sensors arent working or there is a design flaw.

Last edited by supertinu : 27th July 2018 at 01:07.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 07:57   #115
Senior - BHPian

I dont understand why govt cant send all the cars manufactured for India to some independent test facility abroad. For people who value safety its their right to know what they are getting when they pay for the safety features. Atleast the information should be there. What consumers buy with their own money later is their responsibility.

If people start seeing the stars on safety aspects advertised on their cars with emission like they do abroad for some aspects of the car, they will be influenced to buy something that has better safety. These details should be displayed prominently to their face on the door windows.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 08:13   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I dont understand why govt cant send all the cars manufactured for India to some independent test facility abroad.
These details should be displayed prominently to their face on the door windows.
Sir, This is not possible for every car. Most informed buyers check the NCAP values of the cars they wish to buy with other NCAP agencies - SEAN NCAP, Latin NCAP, ANCAP, Euro NCAP, JNCAP, C-NCAP, IIHS and others. I know most manufacturers do not sell the same exact replica and make cost cutting adjustments to the variants sold here, but still it gives a good idea of how the vehicle will perform safety wise.

India is supposed to have - Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Program but as per what I could gather online, it is still languishing somewhere.

Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Program

I believe ARAI does test vehicles. But ..........................

Quote:
ARAI has been providing various services to the Indian Automotive Industry in the areas of design & development and know-how for manufacture & testing of components / system to national / international standards. ARAI shall strive to achieve international recognition in these areas.
ARAI Mission Statement
Old 27th July 2018, 08:14   #117
BHPian

@arvindb4 what are you planning on doing next ? I think you should file suit against mahindra. If you want, i can give you reference of one of the best lawyers in Delhi. You can claim a compensation as in a similar case Toyota paid 25 Lacs.
Here is the link: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/45141644.cms

Last edited by revvharder : 27th July 2018 at 08:16.
revvharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 09:04   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did approach them. They asked me for couple of lakhs which I cant afford. I requested for reducing and never heard back from them. Any way they are funded by a airbag manufacturer, I was told. I don't know if they would be inherently impartial in a probe.
That explains, even if one wills to investigate, it is made difficult by the nexus of manufacturers, component suppliers overruling agencies which can/may monitor them.

Quote:
Multiple skull fractures. As of now his speech and Comprehension center and hearing are severely damaged. Right side of the body is severely affected. He is heading for another major brain surgery next week, hopefully if infection comes down
This is terrible, I did not know that a surgery is left. I thought he is recuperating post surgery/trauma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Gentlemen, has anyone noticed how the web portals, which are like the automotive industry's version of Page 3 tabloids, has not written anything about this incident?
Why would they? They are being funded by these manufacturers in terms of advertisements and when that is not enough, they are paid to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
What in the world are we being feed in the name of Indian manufacturing? Are all Indian manufacturers following global norms for crash-testing? Are they following atleast the Bharat crash-testing standards? And when in the world are they going to be implemented? God knows how many other models on road are defective death traps.
I wish something is done in this regard. The K-Truss issue on the Ford Endeavor is nothing when you realize that how absolute jugaad vehicles are pushed down our throat.

The manufacturers are taxed a lot and so does the end buyer, despite that, we neither get good infrastructure nor safe cars and this is something which may not see a change anytime soon.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 10:14   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
So sorry to hear about your ordeal Arvind. Pray for your son's full recovery.

As an XUV owner one of the reasons i went for W8 was all the extra safety features it came with but case like this makes me wonder if its worth anything. I dont want to bash Mahindra here cause its not like other manufacturers like Maruti, hyundai havn't watered down their cars selling in India for structural integrity. Situation wouldn't have been any different with other manufacturers.

What we lack is a proper govt body with no stake in the game to be neutral in assessment. Hope you are able to get some independent agency look into this and make Mahindra accountable. The damage on the door cannot be explained unless sensors arent working or there is a design flaw.
"Situation would not have been any different with other manufacturers". Are we saying that other cars in this situation would have none of the 6 airbags opening and would have met the same fate?
The percentage of airbags not opening on team-bhp is highest with XUV. Mahindra is one of the worst paymasters and doubtful they can attract the kind of engineering talent that their competitors attract! No wonder they have multiple technical glitches on even their top end vehicles

There have been many XUV owners on this thread trying to defend Mahindra's callousness rather subtly owing to the love for their cars. While it is natural, when XUV has had such multiple failures on safety front, first thing I would do as a XUV owner would be to sell my car and buy one from another manufacturer

Last edited by bhpfaninblr : 27th July 2018 at 10:17.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 11:01   #120
BHPian

Quote:

Mahindra should be sued for such callousness!!
Yes. I had followed this thread very closely. While I do agree that airbags din't deploy in that case but were the airbags faulty or situation din't demand that. I am making this observation on the hindsight since there was no loss of life inspite of the vehicle getting so badly damaged and end of the day this is what matters irrespective of airbags deployed or no. For all you know, the kind of cabin crush the car experienced, airbag getting deployed could have aggravated the issue. I am not sure but just thinking aloud.

While Arvind's case here is completely different.

Cheers!
sumitdongerkery is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed