Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2018, 00:22   #541
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: XUV500: Severe crash, but not a single airbag deployed (driver injured)

Just came across this accident of a toppled Hyundai Creta. Both the front airbags deployed in this case.

v12 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 09:53   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Is there any ncap rating for xuv500 as well, done as part of these tests.
In 2012, while the car was launched in Australia, it was tested. Results can be found here - https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-rati.../xuv500/46c340

Point to note - as a customer, we are always told that there is no change in build and configuration for the same variants across globe for XUV. There could be changes with respect to LHD/RHD, variant feature specs but basic safety equipments are one and same.

You can see the complete report - [ATTACH=XUV-ANCAP-Results.pdf]attached[/ATTACH]

The car under test was AWD variant. Gurus might know if there could be any changes because of AWD/ FWD but... anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XUV-ANCAP-Results.pdf (439.1 KB, 417 views)
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 11:54   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Since the army guy has mentioned applying brakes before impact, it is possible that the speed of the vehicle at the time of impact could have been under the threshold for airbag deployment. Just guessing.
It wouldn’t have warranted the kind of damage we see in the photos! Don’t think this is the case here.
Old 29th September 2018, 12:12   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

I find it amusing that we tend to keep hiding behind the "want of Data" excuse whenever it suits us. Amusing because we all know that no such data exists, neither for nor against the on going discussion. But as far as MY common sense goes, I would go by the ample sample size that our own forum provides. Recently we had a thread by GTO elaborating the standards the forum has adhered to all these years and how tough it is to get through the selection process. So I would assume that our's is a good quality sample to draw a conclusion from, specially when no other data exists and is not going to also in the near future.

Second argument I see every now and then is that positive outcomes are very rarely, if at all, documented whereas negative outcomes are more likely to get documented. I completely agree. But why are we comparing the both? Why don't we rather compare the negative outcome of a brand with the negative outcome of another brand. For instance, how many airbag failure threads/posts have been documented on the forum for XUV500 vs any other car ( we are free to scout for this information across the price brackets and body shapes etc). From a quick memory recall M&M has got a larger presence in these posts that other brands.

It is similar to why we still mention iffy after sales service in all Tata cars as part of the official review. Are they still bad? May not be. But the overall number of incidents at their after sales are more than other's and hence the statement. It might not be true in your case but that is not statically significant.

Same way we call Maruti cars "tin cans". Even through the Brezza scored a 4 star rating in the recent NCAP test and also in real world a MSIL car may not be any worse than a Hyundai/Honda/Toyota which sport an equally thin metal sheet. But the overall number of incidents has ensured that tag.

To summarize what I am trying to say is that already in our country Auto companies have a free hand and get away with everything. At least here, we can afford to slightly ebb on the critical side rather than the manufacturer. In the hope that they might feel compelled to look into the situation and act accordingly.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th December 2018 at 19:17. Reason: Typos
drmohitg is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 19:57   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesht_ripps View Post
I am sharing similar incident happened in Sep 2018 shared by my friend from Army, where none of airbags didn't inflate despite being directly hit on front bumper. He has initiated mail to Mahindra which is given below:
Please find below reply received from Mahindra customer care on the case for your information.

---------- message ---------
As mentioned in your mail , you had to brake aggressively just before colliding behind a Fortuner. It would be nice if you can please share a picture of you have or registration number of the Fortuner to understand this better.

The braking would make the front end of your vehicle dip considerably and bonnet will be the first point of contact with vehicle in front . The maximum energy has been absorbed by the bonnet crumple zone not allowing the impact to move towards the windscreen and steering. This is also established visually on the vehicle. Mr. Shiraj had initiated insurance formalities and advised dealership to start work and finish as soon as possible. Accordingly post insurance permission dealership had started work of dismantling.

We would like to appraise that XUV500 designed with various safety features which perform in different scenarios as explained as below:
  • The Primary Safety Systems which comprise of the energy absorbing crumple zones incorporated in the body parts of vehicle which are designed for absorbing the energy of the impact.
  • Next Safety System is the 3-point seat belt of your vehicle. This prevents body getting thrown forward and head / chest hitting on steering wheel / windscreen.
  • The last level of safety is SRS airbags. As the terminology describes, SRS (Supplementary Restraint Systems) Airbags are supplementary safety systems which come into action post the primary safety systems detects need for SRS to get activated. This activation of SRS airbags is electronically controlled with complex algorithms and to ensure the deployment is at the precise moment when necessary.

• Deployment of air bag is based on the combination of deceleration of vehicle and direction of the impact. In a rear collision condition the vehicle in front gains momentum and moves forward and your vehicle will intuitively get braked hence no sandwich situation will happen that will make engine / steering wheel move towards firewall and chest respectively.
In this case there is no evidence on the vehicle that firewall was collapsing and steering wheel was moving towards chest since all the energy was absorbed by crumple zone of the bonnet.

We generally are able to test the airbag ECU on vehicle but in this case we find that the wiring is damaged and hence can’t read the ecu. To check the airbag ECU, we will need to read data stored inside about the incident at our R&D centre. If we have your permission we would ship out the part. This will have a turnaround time of 10 days.

Thanks

---------- message ---------

My friend has received bill of Rs 3.36 lakhs. Requesting advice from forum members to pursue this case.

Last edited by SDP : 6th October 2018 at 21:06. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please edit or multi-quote instead of back to back posts
rakesht_ripps is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 16:55   #546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesht_ripps View Post

My friend has received bill of Rs 3.36 lakhs. Requesting advice from forum members to pursue this case.
How is the bill relevant to the discussion? That is your repair bill. I thought you were interested in solving any possible airbag failure related issue. Or is it the so that the company may offer you a discount that you posted here?
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 17:15   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How is the bill relevant to the discussion?

I think it is not about any discount. Seems he meant instead of probing, MM sent a bill of 3lakhs. He was probably being sarcastic. Plus, note, MM again wants the ECU back at their facility. If the car is repaired, the damaged wiring is replaced too, right? Does that also mean the ECU has also been replaced? Usually, no! So read the ECU NOW!

The MM response sounds similar to what roy_libran joked about, some weeks back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Hypothetical Response from M&M -

Dear Mr. Puneet,

1. Our sincere regrets for the accident. The Fortuner is indeed a very unsafe vehicle and you are lucky that our well-engineered and robust SUV, as you yourself conceded in point 10, has very well saved the lives of all occupants on boards. Your minor injuries will heal soon.

2. The Fortuner is such a badly designed vehicle that rear ending one, even at a good collision speed and with high rate of deceleration, doesn't result in triggering our extremely well-protected airbag sensors. You also do realise that replacing airbags is very expensive.
...SNIP

Fit case for a Class Action suit against this company. Enough said!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 7th October 2018 at 17:25.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 10:42   #548
BHPian

Any updates regarding any aspect of this incident from any quarter?
Mu009 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 22:49   #549
Senior - BHPian

While we are left in oblivion about this case, another airbag not deployed incident has been reported on Facebook; this time with an EcoSport!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00001842115000

Last edited by thoma : 3rd December 2018 at 22:51.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 22:59   #550
BHPian

Hi Arvind, Any updates? Gods grace, I hope your son has returned back to normalcy.
pandabear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 00:38   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
I second this question!

Arvind - Any updates on how Madhav is recovering? I have been following this thread diligently and would certainly love to know how he is doing?
Yes, we all want to know how he is doing. And besides that we would like to know about the investigation. Did you finally allow the manufacturer to inspect the vehicle?

If the OP is not able to update, do any forum members know if there is any progress on the matter?
Old 12th December 2018, 09:07   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

From what I know the victim, the OP's son is recovering but not as well as hoped. The OP I believe is pursuing or about to pursue legal action against M&M.
V.Narayan is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 19:43   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread has been silent for the last couple of months. Any updates?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 21:41   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
From what I know the victim, the OP's son is recovering but not as well as hoped. The OP I believe is pursuing or about to pursue legal action against M&M.
Sir you were in touch with the OP I believe. Any update on the case and his son's health now?
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 21:53   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Sir you were in touch with the OP I believe. Any update on the case and his son's health now?
The young man's progress has been slow on nervous motor control and ability to talk from what I gathered in February. Some improvement but slow. I have not enquired about the case against M&M.
V.Narayan is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed