Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread

Old 8th August 2018, 23:11   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nexon gets 4 Stars in the Global NCAP crash test!

Great to see the results of the Tata Nexon. These will go a long way in Tata attempting to change their brand image

The Nexon has everything going for it. Except for the very high ground clearance that 'could' have been reduced for greater stability and comfort. Super rating from NCAP!!
Old 9th August 2018, 09:40   #47
BHPian

Well --NOM-- it does looks (proves) now that all those recent (tata vehicles - Tiago/nexon) accidents; where owners escaped unhurt & lived to tell the stories : posted on various websites were not mere publicity stunts or cheap advertises, after all.

Well done TATA.
saurabh2711 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 11:00   #48
BHPian

Safety was first in my mind when i was buying the car last year. After this NCAP rating feeling good about my decision of choosing Tata again. Well done team to be front runner in passenger safety.
Anuruddhs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 12:54   #49
BHPian

This is indeed a great achievement A couple more airbags thrown in and Nexon is on its way to 5 stars which is nothing short of spectacular for an Indian manufacturer. I am sure this news will be a motivation for others to not compromise on safety. Either way, customers are the ones to benefit in the end.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 08:54   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Was ever a concern voiced about an Innova's potential crash test rating ?
The point is not about comparing how an Innova or a similar vehicle fares in a crash test opposed to Hexa. When a company comes up with a flagship model priced in the 20+L price band and are confident about the engineering that has gone into it in terms of structural safety; what is preventing Tata from disclosing the NCAP numbers? There is no denying that the market now is much more safety conscious and just like how many are now either feeling good about their choice of buying Nexon or are tilting towards it after the 4 star rating; wouldn't it have been the same in the case of Hexa as well?

PS: I sincerely appreciate Tata cars for their build quality and the overall VFM their cars provide. Proof: I own an Aria and has been my companion from the past 5.5 years and 75K kms.
Old 10th August 2018, 09:48   #51
BHPian

Well done Tata!
I was the one who was wholeheartedly backing Tata cars for their bulged up bellies (Read higher Kerb weight). Belly HELPS.'ABS'OLUTELY.
Now don't jump on the light weight but stronger materials. I know that. However, at this price point either you loose weight & get amputed or gain weight & write reviews on various auto forums about the accident. Choice is yours!
Old 10th August 2018, 13:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
The point is not about comparing how an Innova or a similar vehicle fares in a crash test opposed to Hexa. When a company comes up with a flagship model priced in the 20+L price band and are confident about the engineering that has gone into it in terms of structural safety; what is preventing Tata from disclosing the NCAP numbers?
The statement in bold is not valid. If a car is tested by NCAP I donít think announcing or withholding results is in control of manufacturer. NCAP themselves disclose the results directly, not through manufacturers. So if Hexa results are not available it probably means it has not been tested by NCAP
Old 10th August 2018, 15:35   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
what is preventing Tata from disclosing the NCAP numbers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
The statement in bold is not valid. If a car is tested by NCAP I don’t think announcing or withholding results is in control of manufacturer.
I think Kishen.padiyar meant their internal safety tests (not NCAP ratings) as his similar post on Page-1 suggests. I think Hexa is still pending a lot of changes for safety, or else, why will a manufacturer withhold safety data? It's something to be presented proudly.

Lack of information and previous bad experience (with a Tata Nano) was what forced me not to even visit the local Tata showroom for Nexon test drive when I bought my Ecosport recently. I won't be considering Tata car for a pretty long time now even though the temptation with their new models is numbing. I will definitely consider a Tata vehicle once feedback from 5-6 year old current gen Tata owners flows in about their service experience and costs.

As for Nexon's rating though very positive and inspiring confidence, this comes in too late. Think about the customers lost! (though they will be very few) I would have at the very least dropped in for a test drive if this rating was available earlier.

Last edited by jagzrk : 10th August 2018 at 15:37. Reason: about nexon rating
jagzrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 16:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
I think Kishen.padiyar meant their internal safety tests (not NCAP ratings) as his similar post on Page-1 suggests. I think Hexa is still pending a lot of changes for safety, or else, why will a manufacturer withhold safety data? It's something to be presented proudly.
It is undisputed that Tata has good in-house testing facility and that every car goes through the testing procedure. However, I don't know what Tata can publish from internal testing. That the car is safe? Well, that's what Tata always says. Also, Hexa is a flagship product, heavy as a whale and is sold only in one market. When Tata doesn't cut corners in made-to-budget offering, no reason to do so for flagship products.

All said and done, I am sure even 5-star NCAP rating won't make more than 100 cars per month difference for Hexa.

Quote:
I will definitely consider a Tata vehicle once feedback from 5-6 year old current gen Tata owners flows in about their service experience and costs.
Tata did endurance run for Tiago / Zest / Bolt with them covering 50,000 kms in 18 days running non-stop. Yet, our Team-bhp reviews aren't sure about the long-term reliability of the engines. I don't think there are many customers, Zest onwards, who have had terrible service experiences and insane maintenance costs.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 16:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
I think it would be unfair for anyone to test their own product and claim its 5-star rated. Any statistical data would not benefit us customer, since the tests are carried out under condition the makers wishes.

Once Hexa is tested by NCAP, results will be out immediately. I have a feeling that the whole Tata vs Maruti battle on the internet will result in positive change, have always been a fan of Swift (still own one), but the current platform seems to be too light for any kind of crash above government regulations.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 16:32   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
have always been a fan of Swift (still own one), but the current platform seems to be too light for any kind of crash above government regulations.
Agree with you on this. One of the cars I own is the 1st generation Swift and it has been awesome. I am looking to replace it with another car in the next few months but the sheet metal used in Swift/Baleno has been putting me off. You make a very nice point about government regulations about crashes at a certain speed. A stronger sheet metal would inspire more confidence. These NCAP based marketing is very healthy for the industry and will result in higher passenger safety
Old 10th August 2018, 16:50   #57
BHPian

Now look at the way Nexon took the impact from the steel bumper of the truck. The damage seems to be less too considering the impact which almost shifted the Nexon from it's intended path.
damodar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 11:56   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Now look at the way Nexon took the impact from the steel bumper of the truck. The damage seems to be less too considering the impact which almost shifted the Nexon from it's intended path.
It has taken the impact quite well. The quality of the sheet metal in the car matters a lot and looks like the Nexon has good quality sheet metal
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 13:05   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
OT - I really like the way he has badged Nexon on the tailgate. Simple mod (And common in other cars too), but does gel well with the unusual rear end design of the Nexon.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 13:18   #60
Team-BHP Support

We obviously aren't going to become a safety-conscious market overnight, but every little bit helps. Tata is slowly but surely moving in the right direction, and hopefully dragging the market along, even if inch-by-inch.

One would imagine the market leader would jump onto the safety bandwagon and further cement their already dominant position, but they're too busy peddling 'features' and sticker jobs.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed