Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2018, 17:14   #16
BHPian

Re: Safety as a Pedestrian - Tips, advice & best practices

My 2 cents...

1. Wear light / reflective clothing till and when possible. Helps drivers spot you.

2. In case you have any person with special needs / elderly who use walking assistance / children in strollers etc. along with, ensure that he / she is visible to the oncoming traffic. i.e.: Do not attempt to protect them by placing yourself between the traffic and them.
While no one likes to be slowed down, people tend to be forgiving to the deserving. However, they may not be as understanding when they see a healthy person walking slowly.
MS_Auto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 17:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Blind spot for the pedestrian is the worst that could happen here. As a pedestrian, I generally do the following:

1) The phone strictly stays in my pocket.
2) Even though many footpaths here are not user friendly, I make sure I use them. Many tend to walk on the street to avoid the pain.
3) I use the junction/signal to cross the road (will try my best not to filter in between the vehicles to get to the other side).
4) I look atleast thrice (left-right-left or right-left-right) before crossing the road.
5) If it's a signal, I cross only when the signal is red. Wait for 1-2 seconds for the cars to stop and then cross (rarely people tend to stop before the zebra crossing).

Here's one good example - Pedestrian blind spot. You know whom to blame here (watch from 0.55)

Have experienced something like this. Stopped at a junction to allow a pedestrian to cross. He looks at me and gives a for letting him pass. Then there's this impatient dude on a bike zooming past you and almost rams onto the pedestrian (remember, he was busy looking at me and giving me the thumbs up).
naveen.raju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 20:07   #18
BHPian

Thanks for the useful thread.

Pedestrian visibility during night/ rains is dangerously poor. I am stressing this in below points.
  • Wear light/bright/reflective dresses whenever walking, particularly during night/rains.
  • Always face the traffic while walking, particularly during night/rains
  • Always use Zebra lines to cross the roads, particularly during night/rains.
knightrider_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 20:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Cars have gotten faster, footpaths are filled with hawkers and bikers---
I think bikers are the most irritating on footpaths- very common in Bangalore.

They have the audacity to honk on footpaths and they ask you (the pedestrian) to give them way. Any attempts to make them realize their mistake results in a stream of illogical, foul-mouthed arguments thrown at you.
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 20:57   #20
BANNED

In my opinion traffic etiquette and how to behave as a pedestrian should be made a part of school curriculums, maybe 1 hour each month till one graduates. Unless a generational change happens things will remain same. We can’t let our brethren to die on the roads like this. Many a times we car owners don’t give a damn for pedestrians, I sincerely hope we do something about it. We can never call ourselves a civilized nation until we value life of others, irrespective of who the other person is.
The Rationalist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 21:33   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
traffic etiquette and how to behave as a pedestrian should be made a part of school curriculums
Nice point, and I would tweak it slightly thus: this should be part of PTA curriculum, not just the student-facing curriculum.

Students absorb more from their parents deeds (behaviour and tolerance - or lack thereof - towards others), than from mere words in a classroom.

Have a session with parents to impress on them how their road behaviour influences their children, and also teach the kids the right etiquette as part of the same session; this will also put the parents on notice that they're being watched and studied from within their own vehicles.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 08:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

If a pedestrian happens to be walking on the road around parked cars and if a car driver is pulling out, the pedestrian creates a huge HUGE blind spot for the driver by blocking view in the ORVM. If you are a pedestrian in this situation, please move to the car’s left side if possible and clear the view for the driver.

Also if a car is pulling out it’s dangerous to skirt around it, i.e. putting yourself between the car and the rest of the traffic. Always let the car pull out, move to the left of the road and once the car pulls out, then resume your walk.

Often if a parked car is trying to make a U turn, the driver may be distracted, focussed on the traffic from both directions and trying to find a suitable gap. Stop till you have confirmation that the driver has seen you and make sure he wants you to cross first. Also in such a case try the left side and skirt the car from the kerb side. A couple of extra steps but will add to your safety.

Contrary to what someone has posted above I would very much appreciate if a pedestrian gives a clear signal of his intentions. Disregarding who has right of way in a variety of situations, if the pedestrian communicates his intention by hand gestures etc. I can plan my actions accordingly. Be smart and make eye contact with the driver that you want stopped and signal to him. He will have more time to alow down without risking a rear end collision.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 11:36   #23
BHPian

I follow and promote one simple practice for a pedestrian on Indian roads i.e. A pedestrian needs to walk on right hand side, thereby facing the oncoming traffic. Since our childhood, we have been taught to walk on the left hand side, but I think this concept is flawed one, especially in case of a country like India where uncertainty levels are at their optimum level.
keeprevving is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 15:39   #24
BHPian

As a pedestrian
1. I walk on the inexistent foot paths than on the road. Even a small auto rickshaw hit at 40 KMPH can cause serious injury and fractures.

As a driver
1. I honk more than required in crowded places. Most ppl just wander on the streets, talking on the phone, listening music etc. Even if you slightly brush a person you get told why did you not honk?, Why do you come on streets if you don't know how to drive, are your eyes on your head etc. It's very satiating to horn your way through crowded streets than get confronted with those questions for no fault of yours.

India is not yet ready for Horn Not Ok Please etc slogans.
bharatbits is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 17:01   #25
NGM
BHPian

On a related note, A friend of mine on a mission to walk from Kanyakumari to Kashmir for road safety.

https://www.onecroresteps.com/#home

Started on 28th July from Kanyakumari and has already crossed 1000+ kilometers.
NGM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 18:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Many relevant points mentioned in this thread. I find these to be relevant in my experience as a pedestrian as well as a driver

As a pedestrian, please avoid sudden movements which includes surging wildly in front of traffic as well as stopping abruptly (worse, backing out) mid-crossing. A good proportion of drivers in our country use 'predictive logic' (something involving projected trajectory of both the vehicle as well as the pedestrian in front). Besides making sure if it is absolutely safe to cross, if you find yourself in a spot of dilemma, be wary of the predictive calculation being executed by the drivers and try to communicate your intent to avoid a 'wrong prediction'

As a driver, please come to a firm, full stop; if you indeed are the minority who lets pedestrians pass. Referring the same 'logic' of prediction, the pedestrian has no wind of your (noble) intention and is forever guessing whether he has a chance to pass in front of your vehicle. A gesture by hand (or the head) allowing the crossing goes a long way in reassuring the pedestrian that you are not aiming 'at' him; often reciprocated with a fleeting gesture of thanks
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 18:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
I follow and promote one simple practice for a pedestrian on Indian roads i.e. A pedestrian needs to walk on right hand side, thereby facing the oncoming traffic. Since our childhood, we have been taught to walk on the left hand side, but I think this concept is flawed one, especially in case of a country like India where uncertainty levels are at their optimum level.
That is weird!
I remember being taught in school: when you are cycling or driving, keep to the left, when you are walking, keep to the right!
chinkara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 05:08   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent thread but sadly not many pedestrians will read it.

And what do you do with "morons" who deem it their right as pedestrian to do what ever they want. Crossing road and glaring at you as is daring you to run them over? Crossing straight a way when they have raised their hand towards you to stop not even waiting to see if the vehicle is in position to stop in time?.

Or guys like the ones involved in recent Kawaria incident in Delhi? Who feel that they have absolute right of way!!

Last edited by sudev : 16th August 2018 at 05:09.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 16:46   #29
BHPian

Hi ,

Pedestrian safety is truly ignored in our country. As you all have correctly mentioned that there are hardly any footpaths left in over congested Indian cities where one can walk peacefully. Some days back I was shocked to see one poster put up by Mumbai police in lanes of Mahim ( area of Mumbai ) where in it was mentioned that one is not covered under insurance if one meets accident while walking on street. They were encouraging people to use footpaths which are actually non existent. What an irony.
amolathalye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 20:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Not directly related to the safety aspect, but a Citizen Activist group in Bellandur-Bangalore has come up with an ambitious proposal called "Bellandur Walks". A plan for state of art foot-paths in the area around Belandur ORR-Notorious for the high volume traffic and where traffic crawls at less than walking speeds.

Quote:
Residents of Bellandur are adding a new dimension to the fight for pedestrian space on Outer Ring Road. Under the banner of Bellandur Jothege, a civic group, they are proposing model footpaths in the neighbourhood: not just to promote pedestrian safety, but also to encourage people to leave their vehicles and walk instead.

And impressed by the efforts, the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike has agreed to extend all support.

Calling it an interesting project, the Mayor said: “The group is serious about this and we want to encourage public participation. I have asked them to work with the Joint Commissioner and engineer to prepare a DPR.” On whether the BBMP will fund the project, he said: “We have funds for infrastructure projects and it can be utilised.”
Source
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks