Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2018, 11:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Safety as a Pedestrian - Tips, advice & best practices

Eye Opening Thread for the drivers and pedestrians.

It is purely my personal opinion. Writing long theories on Do's and Don'ts wont change the culture of the people. It is only the raised conscious levels of Cerebrum while crossing the roads, driving at high speeds that will reduce such mishaps.

As long as people walk on roads "PASSIVELY" and drivers drive the vehicles "INVOLUNTARILY", all these mishaps are bound to happen.

Most of the people who cross the roads do not even know that they are crossing the roads. They will be busy on their mobiles, musics, or some other thoughts. They will NOT be "present"

Similarly, most drivers while driving wont be "PRESENT" at the instance. They will drive from their spinal card and not from the cerebrum or cerebellum. And this is the main cause of the most of the accidents.

Also, would like to write another theory(This is repeated multiple times in earlier posts as well). Most cause of the accidents are because of deviation in Average speed of the vehicles on the road. if the deviation is more /less than 10% of the average speed of all the vehicles in the vicinity, Accidents are more likely to happen.

Last edited by gkveda : 17th August 2018 at 11:09.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 07:05   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, this is something I always felt should be understood by pedestrians walking with kids.

The guy in the RHS of the pic shouldn't be walking on the road though. But the message is relevant.
Attached Thumbnails
Safety as a Pedestrian - Tips, advice & best practices-38612125_2131272943570594_3409746752150962176_n.jpg  

PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 10:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

I would very much appreciate if a pedestrian gives a clear signal of his intentions. Disregarding who has right of way in a variety of situations, if the pedestrian communicates his intention by hand gestures etc. I can plan my actions accordingly. Be smart and make eye contact with the driver that you want stopped and signal to him. He will have more time to slow down without risking a rear end collision.
As a pedestrian, I always gesture to the driver/rider that they can pass before me or after me. As drivers we know the difficulties and we usually signal our intentions even when we walk.

But unfortunately many of the Jay walkers don't realize that it is not easy to stop a several ton automobile when you jump into its path at the last moment.

Another thing we do as drivers is to walk into the pothole as most vehicles would avoid them and for humans it is not an issue to walk into them.

I am also one who uses the horn liberally to warn the pedestrians not to wander off into my path.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 03:58   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Well, this is something I always felt should be understood by pedestrians walking with kids.

The guy in the RHS of the pic shouldn't be walking on the road though. But the message is relevant.
Good illustration but wrong for India. Walk on the side of the lane of approaching traffic. In India that would be on right side of the road from which you can observe traffic approach.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 12:31   #35
BHPian

Very good thread. Thanks to GTO for point it out.

I am sorry for repeating - but I feel that for the sake of the safety of all concerned - jay walking should be illegal and punishable. Life is definitely more precious than a few seconds!
Maybe using headphones while walking should also be in some similar category of offense!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan

P.S. giving it 5 stars
Old 14th December 2018, 08:07   #36
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampprojec...ss-cyclists%2F

This is an interesting article that covers how cars should overtake Bicycles

"Spanish automaker SEAT has released promotional materials for its new SUV that promotes the correct distance a motorist should leave when overtaking a cyclist. On 10th December, SEAT sent out a press release for the 2019 version of its Tarraco SUV and this included photos and videos of engineer Esteban Alcantara overtaking two cyclists by moving wholly into the opposite carriageway. “In order to overtake cyclists correctly: reduce the speed and maintain the safety distance,” stated the press release. It is highly unusual – possibly even a first? – for a car company to promote such a critical safety message.

Rule 163 of Britain’s Highway Code states “give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car” and illustrates this advice with a photograph of a motorist leaving a full car’s width when overtaking a cyclist. Many other countries have similar “close passing” laws and maxims, although they are rarely enforced."
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 09:27   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Rule 163 of Britain’s Highway Code states “give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car” and illustrates this advice with a photograph of a motorist leaving a full car’s width when overtaking a cyclist. Many other countries have similar “close passing” laws and maxims, although they are rarely enforced."
You triggered some childhood memories.

As a kid, I always enjoyed sitting next to the driver in any motor vehicle and found it amusing that they'll leave a wide berth while passing even a cyclist or any small moving object on the road.

When questioned, everyone pretty much said it's a safe driving practice they were taught, and my driving instructor years later drummed the idea into my head too. Always try to leave a lane's width when passing someone was the thumb rule.

Drivers would do this even on then-prevalent undivided highways, and it's scary how dangerously close people get to others even on multi-lane expressways these days, and at much higher speeds.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st February 2019 at 09:33.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 11:06   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
As a pedestrian, do not assume or expect motorists will respect you, or give you right of way, or even have any empathy for you.
This is the GOLDEN rule I'd say for being safe as a pedestrian in an Indian city!

Not just motorists, don't expect the government, the civic bodies or anyone to understand that pedestrians have rights (forget right of way!). Broken or non-existent footpaths, dust, street vendors taking over what's left of the walkway, pedestrians are dead last in the transport food chain.

There we go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I am also one who uses the horn liberally to warn the pedestrians not to wander off into my path.
And I'm sure a lot of people will not find anything wrong with that.

The simple foot over bridge connecting the metro station to the city railway station is yet to see the light of day. Has taken almost as long to construct as that Metro line! After all that fanfare about Church Street being renovated, I can see from my visit last week that the cracks (literally) are showing on the footpath and the hotels have started dumping garbage again.

The first time I went to Singapore, I was dumbfounded to see vehicles actually waiting for people to cross the road! It was so alien to me. These days, in Bangalore,when I stop the car or bike to allow someone to cross, first I get angry honks from the idiots behind me (and no, I don't stop suddenly) and I can see the pedestrians too are very unsure about whether to cross or not. I'm sure most people think it's a trick to lure them into crossing half-way and then us vehicles will run them down! Pathetic state of affairs here.

When idiots on motorbikes think nothing about mounting the footpath and riding on it, expecting vehicles on the road to give way to pedestrians is perhaps a bit too much!

Last edited by am1m : 1st February 2019 at 11:10.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 21:39   #39
BHPian

Good to see such safety measures being implemented for pedestrians. This will help in controlling those reckless, overspeeding & jaywalking foot-travellers on the sidewalks.

All sarcasm aside, WHAT the actual fudge is this ?!

Is it for those bikers who prefer driving on this sidewalk than on the road below?

Safety as a Pedestrian - Tips, advice & best practices-img20190611wa0002.jpg

Sorry Mods, couldn't find a more appropriate thread. Please remove/shift if required.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 06:24   #40
UMe
BHPian

When not to cross the road, even on pedestrian crossing:
-- When you see a heavily loaded vehicle coming at a high speed.

This guy had a lucky escape
Old 16th March 2023, 09:00   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
When not to cross the road, even on pedestrian crossing:
-- When you see a heavily loaded vehicle coming at a high speed.

This guy had a lucky escape
https://Youtu.be/WzKrBUmfBkE
Purely the driver's fault. Why wouldn't you slow down there? I mean sure, the pedestrian gotta be more careful but how could they just try to zoom away at a zebra crossing?
Old 16th March 2023, 09:36   #42
UMe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Purely the driver's fault. Why wouldn't you slow down there? I mean sure, the pedestrian gotta be more careful but how could they just try to zoom away at a zebra crossing?
Surely, the driver is at fault not just for not slowing down, but also for loading the vehicle with protruding rods/materials.
We have all the provisions in law. But considering the ground situation, and purely on safety precaution/tips, I would say don't trust goods vehicles, particularly the fully loaded once, to slow-down for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks