Team-BHP - 7-year old girl sets record for most number of vehicles driven - Should we really be celebrating?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   7-year old girl sets record for most number of vehicles driven - Should we really be celebrating? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/201508-7-year-old-girl-sets-record-most-number-vehicles-driven-should-we-really-celebrating-2.html)

I have a 7 year old niece who'd count as a regular child by definition, and she doesn't give half a hoot about being famous, and doesn't understand or care what a 'record' is.

She enjoy school, playing with her multitude of real and a few imaginary friends, share toys and cycle around the block in the evenings.

This video is parents taking attention-whoring to an extreme, and I'd go beyond just the (il)legality of underage driving involved here. Her parents should be charged with endangering physical and mental well-being of a child who doesn't have the maturity to understand the risks involved, her skills (or lack of them) notwithstanding.

A closed-off bit of road doesn't automatically constitute a controlled environment in and of itself. If that were true, we'd all be closing off streets and racing and/or pulling stunts on them 'legally' without consequence. People presenting that argument, excuse my outrage, have no idea what a controlled environment is.

The video neither depicts a controlled environment nor a consenting participant. In a country with child protection regulations, that child would be taken away from the parents.:Frustrati:Frustrati

Unfortunately, our driving license rules deal with driving on PUBLIC roads only. So there's (almost) nothing that can be done regarding this.

There is nothing to cheer about or advertise. The law has been clearly broken. This age is not the legal age to drive and parents should not encourage this. It is the parents to blame here.

The news here should have been that parents of a 7 year punished for letting a minor drive. This is wrong on so many levels. I mean celebs get challans for posting a pic with their bikes without a helmet and this no one is concerned about. :Frustrati

Pardon me for being politically incorrect, but what exactly is the record here? Just being able to turn a steering, press the accelerator, clutch and brakes? We all know that if one masters one vehicle, driving others shouldn't be much of an issue specially in a "controlled" aka vacant environment.

The news channel also mentioned Guinness World Record, while this clearly, is a Golden Book of World Records (whatever it may be and I hope no one plans to break this useless and perhaps illegal record).

Its time we look beyond feminism and stop encouraging irrelevant talents and abilities. What next? Drinking various liquors at age 8?

To quote my post from 2010...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2032083)
There is a difference between controlling the car and driving the car.

controlling the car: Knowing the controls, having the ability to start, move around, stop, etc.
driving the car: Know and follow all the traffic rules, drive in highway/city with proper discipline, drive in heavy traffic, know when to yield, know where to park, where not to park, how to park, etc.

I think this girl is merely controlling the truck, nothing more.

I am amazed at the utter stupidity of this. Anywhere else, her parents would be behind bars, without license and a huge law suit to boot. Here, we are celebrating it! She drove a bloody truck - who would be responsible if someone got hit?

I hope someone is brought to book for this. Nah, I am day dreaming!

Many motorsport champions start go-karting at the age of 5, and drive race cars in their teens. As long as this was on a closed + private road, I don't see any issue.

On a lighter note, I see a future BHPian in her :).

The record was done in a 'so-called' controlled environment. However I can bet my life that she did not learn or practice in a controlled environment before this event. Maybe she started when she was five. The parents should be booked immediately. This is highly irresponsible. The TV channel should be penalized as well for promoting it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Six (Post 4455310)
No, it was not on public roads. It was on their private township road which was not yet open to the public IIRC.

OT: It was in the apartment enclave, but probably was dangerous as public roads. Due to the size of the complex, you’ll always see quite a lot of vehicles and pedestrians around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 4455300)
However, I do not think it is anybody's business what I let my kids do with my vehicle on my land, or in a private track with the consent of all parties involved.

That is not correct. A child cannot give what is known in legal circles as "informed consent".

*Sarcasm Alert*

A kid driving a go kart on an empty private road, track or land is not a bad thing at all.

A kid driving a massive truck, or performing stunts with a powerful car, with people surrounding her and cheering her on, deserves a government job with the Ministry / Department in charge of population control in this country.

A kid driving a massive truck, or performing stunts with a powerful car, without basic safety gear, even a seatbelt, is loved by God more than by her parents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4455791)
Many motorsport champions start go-karting at the age of 5, and drive race cars in their teens. As long as this was on a closed + private road, I don't see any issue.

Racing setups have track-side medical assistance available, plus rapid transfers to emergency medical assistance at designated hospitals (though I'm unsure what standards are followed in India specifically, if any at all), plus reasonable measures are taken to ensure both participant and spectator safety.

A kid go-karting in a controlled environment or a teenager racing at track events Vs a kid driving on a closed street with zero contingency plans if something goes wrong, aren't comparable by any stretch of the imagination.

Future BHPian? I hope so, as long as we don't get posts and boasts of underage and illegal driving!

Quote:

Originally Posted by esoticoreventon (Post 4455146)
I came across this news item that shows a 7-year old girl driving 14 different vehicles and setting a record for the same.

The most stupid piece of news I've ever come across! What's there to celebrate in this? Plain illegal - Period.

Did everyone watch the video? The guy sitting on the left is controlling the lorry's clutch!! He launches, the lorry moves forward without any accelerator input, and the girl - with all her might - turns the steering wheel!

Some driving!

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 4455209)
This isn't the first time. I recall there was a 7-9 year old kid in KL who drove Ferraris and other exotic cars encouraged by his parents.

You recall correctly! Let me enlighten the forum that the kid's dad is now in jail for mowing down his complex security guard with his Hummer!

That's where parents who encourage such behaviour belong!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4455791)

I usually agree with your views GTO, but not on this. European and American countries have karting and dirt bike riding programs for kids - to promote Motorsports! Not to create stupid records which take moronic parents to the TV news!

Also, I don't see a BHPian in her. I see a little girl who is being taught at a tender age that breaking laws and pursuing age inappropriate activities will get you to the limelight! That in my opinion is extremely dangerous!

To top it all, what on the planet is The Golden Book of Records!?

:rules:
According to Team BHP rule #11, we shouldn't be discussing about this topic at all.

It only helps to get more reach for this kind of news.