Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2018, 11:39   #1
BHPian

7-year old girl sets record for most number of vehicles driven - Should we really be celebrating?

I came across this news item that shows a 7-year old girl driving 14 different vehicles and setting a record for the same.

This is being celebrated for a number of reasons including her gender and her geographic location. But should we actually be celebrating this? I know this was done under a controlled environment, but the kid seems to be driving so rash and dangerous. Is this even legal? Shouldn't her parents be prosecuted? I remember the Beedi Tycoon Mohammed Nisham from Kerala was in a soup when his kid drove a Ferrari and he posted the video on YouTube.

This is just going to inspire a lot of copy cats and this is just going to increase the number of under age drivers. We already see how many kids take their own vehicles to school and things are not going to get better.

We often see racing drivers start go karting when they are 4 years old but that's a whole different ball game. Letting a 7 year old drive around in vehicles that are clearly meant for adults, I'm my humble opinion, is wrong. Especially so when it's done for fame. Would like everyone's thoughts on this.

Here is a video link that shows the girl driving vehicles including a 10 wheeled truck.

esoticoreventon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 11:59   #2
BHPian

re: 7-year old girl sets record for most number of vehicles driven - Should we really be celebrating?

Nothing to be celebrated about. The parents needs to be put behind bars for promoting such foolish behavior and owner of the vehicles be fined assuming her parents do not own all of these vehicles.
Engine_Roars is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 12:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 7-year old girl sets record for most number of vehicles driven - Should we really be celebrating?

A seven year old is a seven year old. Her or his life is set by the boundaries the parents lay down. At 14 things are different but at seven you are an innocent child even though you may be precocious. The law breakers here are the parents and ought to be charged. It displays lack of maturity amongst both parents and a desire for cheap Youtube/WhatsApp celebrity fame (for themselves). When a child is pushed at such a tender age to be other than what it naturally and happily is it cannot but have some after effect in later life. Very sad for the kid. Even sadder is the publicity it is receiving on Suvarna News - tells you a lot about the news channel and the folks who run it.
V.Narayan is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 12:19   #4
BANNED

I think this practice should be condemned outright. There is a legal driving age, and that is it. No shading and that too by ten years can be tolerated.
sgiitk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 12:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This is wrong on so many levels. The parents pushing the kid to do this, the 'record capturing organization', the news channel for publicizing it, authorities who allowed this to happen.

It is not even a controlled environment. See the bystanders all over the place, a small mistake and it would have be catastrophic.

Edit: Assume the family did not own the 17 vehicles. So the people who provided their vehicles for this activity are also to blame.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 4th September 2018 at 12:34.
Rajeevraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 12:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I am very proud of this achievement. Honestly, she has got into the record books for 'Driving' so many cars already at the age of 7.

Holding the steering wheel and moving the vehicle ahead by engaging and changing the gears - Isn't that driving? This is exactly the reason why there is immense pride exhibited there!

It is indeed sad state of affairs and why just driving alone? Haven't we noticed the levels of stress kids are put into even when it comes to Studies, TV Shows and other competitions. Although each of these may not directly endanger the lives of others around (like driving), it certainly displays a higher degree of what we call Parental obsession where kids often end up becoming victims. Sadly, this news item is also one of such instances - She may have showed her passion to drive but it may also be a case where her parents would have put all pressure to get her into perfection to be able to showcase this 'Skill' and get into limelight.

Road manners, Safety, Defensive and anticipatory driving - Oh, wait...why would a 7 year old want to know all this. She better learn about this when she is 18 at least. As of now, we are happy that she is driving.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th September 2018 at 12:36.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 12:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The parents and those who encouraged this irresponsible action should be put behind bars.

This isn't the first time. I recall there was a 7-9 year old kid in KL who drove Ferraris and other exotic cars encouraged by his parents.

The level of stupidity is unparalleled. And I guess parents will continue to encourage their children till someone is hurt or suffers grievous injuries OR the law enforcement agencies i.e. the cops takes stern action against them.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 13:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

She appears to be doing this with supervision in a closed space, not on public roads.
Are we going to be outraged on the assumption that she might have done this on public roads ?
greenhorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 14:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have seen chimps "operate" cars and bikes in circus. If they can, any child surely can.

Can it be called driving? I don't think so.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 14:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
She appears to be doing this with supervision in a closed space, not on public roads.
Are we going to be outraged on the assumption that she might have done this on public roads?
Well, a couple of years back, Nisham was booked for letting his kid drive their Ferrari on similar conditions as well.

Irrespective of the gender or origin, such underage driving should be condemned at any cost.

On one side, Hyderabad police are trying to book parents when their kids are riding gearless scooters and on the other end, there are people encouraging such acts. Hypocrisy.
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 15:04   #11
BHPian

This is outright stupid irrespective of whether this was done in private or public space. What good could come of this? I mean a 7 years old should play with toys and not full size trucks which could be fatal for her and others.

People will do anything for fame and sadly it even involves putting one's kid in danger.
the_skyliner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 15:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Well, a couple of years back, Nisham was booked for letting his kid drive their Ferrari on similar conditions as well.

Irrespective of the gender or origin, such underage driving should be condemned at any cost.
Nisham's kids were driving the car on a public (somewhat - within a society) road. I am all for banning underage driving on public roads.

However, I do not think it is anybody's business what I let my kids do with my vehicle on my land, or in a private track with the consent of all parties involved.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 15:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Nisham's kids were driving the car on a public (somewhat - within a society) road.
No, it was not on public roads. It was on their private township road which was not yet open to the public IIRC.

Quote:
However, I do not think it is anybody's business what I let my kids do with my vehicle on my land, or in a private track with the consent of all parties involved.
I hope you saw the video in question. Even if it was on the private property, what about the onlookers you see there? So many people gathered to watch the show. Be it the girl driving the truck or the Civic.

Wait, I don't even want to start discussing about the way she was driving the civic. If it was done by an adult, will the cops and the media react the same way? Wouldn't that be tagged as stunts and dangerous driving and what not!!

Cops are ready to pick up sane riders just for being geared up all the time, and here we are boasting about a 7-year-old doing donut within their private premises.
Old 4th September 2018, 15:33   #14
BHPian

I can't even fathom the thought that an organization or a family for want of a world record should gather a crowd and let a 7 year old drive vehicles that can easily go out of control.

I totally get it is done in a controlled environment and it should not be tried by everyone, but as a parent, one question I have is would you put your kid for a record, however smart or brainy he / she is.

The best place for a 7 year old is to enjoy the ride while observing what the driver does. Rules are available for a specific reason.

Parents should be booked for this act and the organization that recorded this attempt should be reprimanded as well
Old 4th September 2018, 15:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Driving without License is an Offense, irrespective of whether it is private road or public road.

Does the Kid have driving license at the age of Seven? If yes, then, the parents, RTO authorities who issued the license, both are punishable because, the law has set the age limit as 18 for issuing DL in India

If there is no DL, it is very clear that it is a punishable offense for parents and child
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed