Team-BHP - Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) will be mandatory for all vehicles by 2022
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) will be mandatory for all vehicles by 2022 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/201605-advanced-driver-assistance-systems-adas-will-mandatory-all-vehicles-2022-a.html)

Advanced Driver Assistance System Will Be Mandatory For All Vehicles.

Soon, all vehicles to have 'brakes with brains'.

Quote:

Come 2022, your new car and all heavy vehicles such as buses and trucks will come fitted with a device that will automatically apply brakes if they suddenly detect any object on the road to avoid accidents. The government will make the feature of Advanced Driver Assistance System(ADAS) mandatory, transport minister Nitin Gadkari announced on Thursday.

The ADAS system includes features such as electronic stability control, autonomous emergency braking system, anti-lock brakes, lane departure warning and adaptive control. Road transport ministry sources said the government will soon notify the speed at which the emergency braking system will get activated to give enough time to automakers to plan their production.
News Source: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65712698.cms

This is a welcome move by government and long pending one. Safety should be given priority in India given the record of car accidents

We need a separate sub-forum for all the Gadkari announcements :p

Did some quick research. It does NOT cost much to implement ADAS system - just $460 per vehicle
https://www.investopedia.com/article...e-standard.asp

Cost benefit to consumers: Lower insurance charges!

Quote:

Come 2022, your new car and all heavy vehicles such as buses and trucks will come fitted with a device that will automatically apply brakes if they suddenly detect any object on the road to avoid accidents

Wow! I am wondering how many times my car will apply brakes in my home <-> office journey (any crowded suburb for that matter).

The ADAS has to be very very intelligent in order to work on Indian roads.

Which all driver assistance will be mandatory as a part of this rule?

Quote:

The ADAS system includes features such as electronic stability control, autonomous emergency braking system, anti-lock brakes, lane departure warning and adaptive control.
This is a general thing and doesn't speak which of these (or more) would be applicable in India.

The move is welcome.
However with the ADAS system, you may not be able to drive everywhere.
Imagine a crowded Mumbai street like Bhendi bazaar or in fort area, where people are in such large numbers that they are walking in the middle of the street and won't move till you honk. Wonder how the system will work then .

Well, I hope the road infrastructure improves concurrently before these rules are implemented and the roads are marked, have proper foot paths for pedestrians etc. Else I can see the entire traffic coming to a freeze in India with no one able to move. lol:

I didn't get the last part of the report
Quote:

Road transport ministry sources said the government will soon notify the speed at which the emergency braking system will get activated to give enough time to automakers to plan their production.
What is meant by 'speed at which the emergency braking system gets activated'? And why is that alone important for automakers to plan their production?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCORPION (Post 4457340)
What is meant by 'speed at which the emergency braking system gets activated'? And why is that alone important for automakers to plan their production?

I presume this is the speed above which emergency braking will automatically activated.

Something similar is in my V40, They call it City Safety. The system includes a sensor which transmits laser light which is mounted on the windshield just ahead of the rear view mirror.

It has and on some occasions prevented my car from touching the car in front particularly on lower speeds below 20kmph where I didn't have my attention straight ahead (No I wasn't on my phone).

However the system takes getting used to. Its because in a city like Mumbai we tend to drive without leaving much distance from the car in front of you and we usally brake in the last minute, Initially due to my habit of braking last minute (Let me remind you this is not Sudden braking) its just the way I and many others are used to braking the Auto Brake system got activated automatically and it was very hard! It's forceful braking almost like engine braking.

So I and everyone who drove the car had to adapt to this system and brake well before and approach the car in front at a lower speed.

Attaching two pages from the car manual for everyone to read.

'Brakes with brains'? That too on ALL vehicles in our country? = Simply OVER-THE-TOP!
Instead, can we have an independent enforcement agency for consumer protection please.
We shall all apply brakes Sir; please ensure that those are all in order and functional- the safety features and equipments that the cars fitted with. Thank you

Government says it will begin work on a mandate to have advanced driver assist systems in all cars in the market by 2022.
Advanced assistance systems consists of technologies like adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assistance and automatic braking.

Source : https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ms-soon-409585

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCORPION (Post 4457340)

There are basically two types of AEBs that are available now.
1. Low speed - Useful within the city where speeds are usually less than 50mph. (Some OEM's system is capable of speeds upto 30mph)
2. Full Speed - useful in the highways where speeds are higher. Sometime even more than 100mph.

While low speed function can be achieved either by use of camera or radar. Full speed would ideally need sensor fusion i.e, using both short & long range radar and camera to scan the road ahead. There are OEMs like Subaru which use just the camera for full speed AEB but even they are planning to go the sensor fusion way.

Function such as lane departure warning, Lane keep assist etc need vision based sensors such as camera to identify lanes. Considering that India doesnt have the infrastructure for cameras to work OEMs will probably go the radar way for AEB, adaptive cruise control etc.

Having driven some high-end cars with these systems, I can tell you that they are more annoying than helpful. Simply unsuitable for our country where pedestrians & vehicles are centimeters away from your car, and where lane markings are still not consistent. Furthermore, the cost isn't cheap. I don't think the market is ready to accept the heftier price tags.

The government should avoid making such flashy announcements until & unless it is really serious about them, as such news scares the hell out of MNC car makers. Their international headquarters just see India as a country with continually changing rules and an 'unstable' policy environment.

I'd just be happy the day that solid crash testing, 6 airbags, ABS & ESP become standard in India. Let's follow that up with stringent driving tests. It'll save a lot more lives than ADAS can ever hope for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz (Post 4457226)
Imagine a crowded Mumbai street like Bhendi bazaar or in fort area, where people are in such large numbers that they are walking in the middle of the street and won't move till you honk. Wonder how the system will work then .

Just thinking, typically there will be a button to disable it as usual to satisfy us and our road conditions! :p

In Indian conditions (and I don't see them changing in the foreseeable future) this sort of 'auto braking' feature, if mandated, will be irritating at best and dangerous (countless fender benders) at worst.

If this feature is to be introduced, all, and I mean ALL cars from prime minister's car to municipality garbage dump trucks must have it, there shouldn't be any switch / wire / cable to disable it, and must be implemented on ALL cars from the exact same date/time. Else results shall be disastrous.

I hope the powers at be have done this calculation before making such a bombastic announcement.

Why don't they simply do what is much easier - fix potholes, have proper road markings / signals, and implement a strong framework for driver training / licensing?
I guarantee that the above measures would bring down accidents by 99%.