Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2018, 12:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Pune: Driving on the wrong side of the road may attract 6 month jail term

Oh pretty please! Pretty pretty please!

This wrong side driving menace and the sheer audacity with which people do it is incredible! In Mumbai, this is absolutely routine. On every traffic signal, this is a perennial sight, so much so that it feels almost condoned by the cops. The problem is far more structural than one can imagine. It feels all the bikers and auto-rickshaws see it as a matter of right to go wrong side, creating complete traffic logjams in emptiest of roads. Anyone who has been to Mumbai airport via Sakinaka would have experienced these idiotic jams even in the wee hours!

Enforcement is only part of the puzzle. But a proper reboot of the system has become necessary tackling traffic issues wholesale. All of the following steps need to be taken simultaneously:

1. Creating space on roads: Curb Illegal parking and stopping, entry control on slow vehicles (including small ones - auto-rickshaws and loading vehicles) in right lanes, use of mobile-phone (it's incredible how many people I notice everyday talking even texting on their phones!!!) and facilitating park-and-walk by creating parking areas with space for foot traffic to reduce the need to park right at your destination.

2. RTO Reforms: Start with the very learning and licensing process. Lack of rigor in those steps ensures we continue to release highly under-trained and unaware drivers on the road. I think India should make it mandatory for licence renewal / re-certification every 4 years or so, leveraging technology. Virtual driving tests can easily ensure a superior awareness of rules and driving etiquette.

3. Enforcement: For more severe and clear traffic violations, criminal proceedings are absolutely necessary. A person is willfully endangering life of another human being by driving on the wrong side for example. That is a crime and must be treated as such.

Our increasing apathy towards each other on the road is genuinely shocking. Having driven in other crowded cities like KL, Jakarta, Honai, BKK etc., and the degree to which the locals manage to respect each other, I am shocked at our near inhumanity on the road.
Annibaddh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 14:24   #32
BHPian

As I mentioned is it any coincidence that this practice is spreading like a virus all over India? Today there was an article in the NDTV website about it's endemic nature in Noida complete with pictures. Would taking pictures and posting them on the police website or on twitter help? This lawlessness on the roads could be a major reason for 'road rage'. India tops in deaths owing to accidents on the roads and with vehicles. I think the Central Govt should take a major initiative on this like 'Swachh Bharat' to make everyone aware of the dangers. Any amount of fine and jail term hasn't changed a thing in so many other cases of lawlessness. Social change is needed for people to feel pride in their lawfulness rather than in their lawlessness. It's the lawless who go about boasting about their trespasses.
Old 14th September 2018, 15:21   #33
BHPian

I stay in PCMC and catching hold of only 19 is nothing but a joke.
PCMC is full of uneducated people now having gained ton loads of money by selling lands - esp. after the Hinjewadi IT Park came up. The fringe areas of Punavale, Ravet, Wakad, Thergaon etc. are filled with such people.

Now, I can spot 19 people driving the wrong side on a 100 seconds traffic light. That's how bad the problem is here. This does not even include people who jump the red light.
There are specific areas (slums mostly) where driving wrong side for 2 and 3 wheelers until a certain point is completely overlooked. An inch beyond the slum, and there will be a traffic cop standing to welcome you. The traffic cops probably fear of a local retaliation and also being slums, there is a good chance a local corporator or a "nagar-sevak" might get involved turning things ugly (vote bank politics etc.) So just let the folks figure it out themselves. This particular chowk - things work in such harmony that regulars would actually leave a lane for such people coming in the opposite direction

The old NH4 with the amazing grade separator seems like a boon. But one needs to watch out for 2 and 3 wheelers coming out onto the service road from an ENTRY point - why - because it is better to do that than take an earlier exit and wait at a traffic light.

Sanghvi, Pimple Saudagar, Kalewadi, Thergaon, Dange Chowk and Ravet - this stretch will fetch the RTO department a minimum of 15-20 lakhs on a daily basis if they decide to crack down on the offenders - that too at a mere Rs. 100 fine.

Then, as someone has point out, 2 wheeler riders prefer driving wrong side to reach the cut in the divider than riding up a little further.

This is not something that'll go away by just putting someone in jail. I believe a media ops with publicly shaming the culprits and posting them on Twitter, FB etc will go a long way. Make them stand with boards in their hands like "I drive wrong side" - "I can't seem to see where the rest of the traffic is headed" - we can have a contest for these boards here on TBHP

Licenses should be canceled on the spot and the new Sarathi software should be able to capture why the license was canceled or suspended for a certain amount of time.
Random license checks should also increase.

I remember Pune RTO had initiated a drive where they used to put the car's photo on Twitter and FB stating why that vehicle was fined. Adding the person's (owner's) photo along with it and tagging them would add to the shaming.
adneeraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 16:32   #34
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Well done Pimpri Chinchwad police . If this is implemented in Chennai, then half of the drivers will be in jail.
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 16:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

This law needs to be implemented in Pune ASAP.

Some of the roads where driving/riding on the wrong is the norm for many morons:

* Senapati Bapat Road
* Warje Road
* Hinjewadi road

Also, is the 1000 Rs fine with receipt? What is the fine without receipt?
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 17:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
There is no policeman found here ever. Don't know why. For most puneites or perhaps most Indians, traffic rules are rituals to be done if a policeman is around. Otherwise traffic lights are just some sort of decoration to make boring roads look interesting!

Very strict law enforcement and hefty penalties are needed in Pune to curb the menace. Kudos to PC commissioner for showing the grit to take such measures that are needed. Hope Pune's commissioner, instead of getting into "neighbors envy" mindset, borrows the practice with an open mind and implements it ruthlessly.
Sorry to be the dampener here but police comissioners do not decide punishments, the MV act does. So this seems like just intimidatory tactic to me. Nor do I see the tobacco chewing politicians being locked up in jail for 6 months for a traffic offence, policeman or no policeman. You or I could be - with or without driving on the wrong side.

So I wont cheer bravado, but suggest we continue to demand MC for safer pothole free, well signed up roads, police to focus on users safety, high traffic locations and diligent issue AND revocation of driving licenses.

I see a hundred cops ambushing vehicles for helmets/seatbelts and carrying of documents/insurance, why cant they do the job thats theirs - ensuring road safety?
MBstoTBs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 18:18   #37
BHPian

In my opinion, catching these wrong side drivers is a lot more important than catching guys without helmets. The latter put themselves at risk, the former puts a lot of people at risk. But I don't agree with the Jail term. While the influential will come out without jail term, the average Joe would have no option but to do time. I am all for hefty fines - implemented indiscriminately and consistently.
veyron_head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 23:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Driving on the wrong side of the road in Pune may attract 6-month jail term.
Good move. It should be replicated across the country. People may have many comments and questions on the decision but I only have one - Do we have enough jails?
Old 15th September 2018, 12:20   #39
BHPian

Appreciate whatever the PCMC has started. The problem lies in maintaining this drive against wrong side driving. My suggestion is to pick a different spot each day and catch/fine 100% of the offenders, no exceptions.

Take the case of eChallans in Mumbai. When the system started, a lot of drivers were caught unaware and had to cough up fines. In a few weeks I could see a bit of discipline creeping in (stopping before the zebra crossing, not jumping a red light, etc). However, the Mumbai Police have failed to maintain their tempo in fining drivers.

To add to their woes, there is no decent system to send eChallans. One could check for any fines on any vehicle; some guys used it to see how many fines some politicians / actors have been slapped with but not paid. This prompted Mumbai Police to withdraw the facility to check for fines. I for one used to check regularly.

The only way forward is strict implementation of rules and absolute consistency
Old 15th September 2018, 12:49   #40
BHPian

Good move by the authority in spirit, but how long will it go to stop this menace, only time will tell.

Not so long ago, there was a good transport commissioner in Kerala, he was the person responsible for strict implementation of the seat-belt and helmet rules. He managed to do it very effectively. Thanks to him seat belt use has more or less become a habit. However, as with anything good, politicians will not allow any such person to do good. To please the public votebanks, he was transferred out from traffic into another department and now things have slackened again wrt to helmet use.

Wrong side riding by two wheelers is a huge problem in Kerala too, with the narrow roads, it makes it very dangerous for other road users. Then there is also the great 'diagonal indian road trick', wherein two wheelers will come on the wrong side and cut across your path, just cos they are lazy to go a bit further along the direction of travel and then take a U turn at the divider.

New rules need to be formulated on driving licenses hand out, road safety awareness and training and of course, strict implementation without interference from the netas - big and small.

Still waiting for the day when this will happen in our dear ol' country.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 18:18   #41
BHPian

A great innitiative by pune police. There is no lack of laws in the country, it is only the willingness to implement them that is lacking. I saw in the article that police is booking offenders under 279 IPC. I have usually seen people being booked for dangerous driving under section 184 MV act. Both of these sections carry similar punishments so is there any reason for charging offenders under IPC as opposed to 184 MV act or is this solely at the discretion of the area police?
Old 15th September 2018, 22:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
But I don't agree with the Jail term. While the influential will come out without jail term, the average Joe would have no option but to do time. I am all for hefty fines - implemented indiscriminately and consistently.
Let them do the time. Even one week in jail means that the person won't dare do it again at least for a few years. In addition dozens, if not hundreds of others will be deterred after hearing about it. By your logic we shouldn't punish thieves or murderers either as the rich might afford a better lawyer and get away while mostly the poor would end up in jail. Driving on the wrong side is very dangerous and can lead to death or serious injuries to innocent people in addition to damage to their vehicles. It also creates traffic jams. I have no sympathy if a person is jailed for even 5 years for it, rich or poor. In any case, the courts are unlikely to award jail term for first time offenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
Good move. It should be replicated across the country. People may have many comments and questions on the decision but I only have one - Do we have enough jails?
Jails won't be a problem. Just lock away a few hundred in each city and after a few months the problem will go away.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 00:35   #43
BHPian

Are you guys seriously believing this jailtime BS? It is never ever going to be implemented and everyone knows it. Police lay down new laws to garner brownie points for doing something 'worthwhile' from time to time. Heck they might even temporarily throw few 'contract offenders' in jail as proof of their exceptional work, for the media.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 07:15   #44
BHPian

Having laws is only one side of the coin, enforcing them properly is the other side. And we as a country, had always been good at the former while the latter remained questionable. This step by Pune police is indeed something in the right direction. Maintaining the enforcement momentum going is now the important task.

I remember having this serious issue of drunken drive few years back in Kochi, then the police started taking strong action against the offenders. There was a new year eve couple of years back when a lot of vehicles were seized and most of them were the luxury class BMWs and Mercs. This for sure sent a clear message to the common public that the police is for real this time and no one would be spared. Fast forward a couple of years to 2018, the issue of drunken driving is significantly reduced. I really wish they come up with such initiatives in my city as well.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 16th September 2018 at 07:18.
Old 16th September 2018, 08:41   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Also, is the 1000 Rs fine with receipt? What is the fine without receipt?
Come on! You and I both know that there is no such thing as "fine without receipt". That qualifies as a bribe and is a punishable offence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks