Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2018, 14:19   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pune: Driving on the wrong side of the road may attract 6 month jail term

It is only natural for many of us to think why such a harsh punishment and causing serious damage to a person's career and record. There is some merit to the argument about appropriateness of the punishment to the crime. When one individual or two break a safety related rule it can be dealt with under the logic of keeping things appropriate to the crime. When millions literally are doing it each day i.e. leading to billions of violations a year then the tool has to suit the epidemic proportions of the violation.

Many of you may not know this but your employer suffers a non-bailable arrest if he defaults on depositing your employee provident fund each month. Every employer in the organized sector knows this. The non-bailable warrant bit is the key here to compliance. It wasn't always so. Till this was made draconian in (I think) the 1970s organized sector employers took liberties especially the SMEs. Not so today, albeit Shri Vijay Mallaya being the one exception that proves the rule. The point I am making is that when things reach epidemic proportions then appropriately drastic action needs to be taken. It is the language we understand. Yes it means that a few hundred rule breakers will get a really hard thumping - that's life. After all they commit the violation with both eyes open and both hands on the wheel.
V.Narayan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 14:40   #62
BHPian

isnt attempting suicide is a crime in India ? arent riders/drivers taking the wrong lane doing the same thing ?
I have seen some idiots driving on the RHS (Overtaking lane) on the wrong side, now isnt that behavior suicidal ? and include the harm to others calls for a strict action. as many BHpians have said above such people are endangering other lives.

I was a kid when i saw a horrifying bike-bus accident involving a family (husband, wife and a kid) only the wife survived that due to her seating position. The biker was in the wrong side and bus driver was overtaking (RHS). Scenes from that day are still clear in my head and give me jitters whenever i think it.
I take 1-2 kms extra every day even though almost everyone on my route take a wrong side (Ascendas junction in Hinjawadi Phase 3 if you know).
I appeal to all my friends everywhere to never ever drive/ride in a wrong side even when you have to take a longer route. Life is precious do not waste it.
ShivrajG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 15:03   #63
BHPian

I was coming from Baner towards Aundh yesterday in the evening. It's a narrow road with 2 wheeler/4 wheeler parking on the left side, with space for usually 2 cars to run parallel, that too shrinks at times. I was driving near the the divider, on the right side. Suddenly, the car which was crawling ahead and I was about to overtake, swerved towards right coz someone big 4 wheeler decided to start speeding on the wrong side!! I had to brake hard and luckily no one was coming behind me fast enough to hit me. Also, same wrong side speeding was witnessed on highway while coming towards Hinjewadi!
And yea, can't even tell about the numerous times I have received rude stares coz I was blocking 2 wheeler's path coming from the opposite direction on the wrong side.

Point is, its rampant and people don't care. It does not matter if only 5 people are punished. The important part should be spreading awareness about the consequences of the crime.

I often read the number of people punished for traffic offences in newspaper. While in radio ads, we 'request' our citizens to follow the rules/not honk/avoid speeding-lane cutting etc. I feel the ads should talk about these numbers and advice citizens to be aware of the consequences. May be put display boards at major junctions displaying daily numbers of people booked (similar to air quality index)!
quickfox11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 15:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
.... As a practice taught in school we are accustomed to first look right while crossing the road. 4 out of 10 times I have had a wrong side scooter rider almost hit me because I didn't look left and anticipate a moron would be riding on the wrong side. If that were not enough, their wrongdoing is topped with arrogance to question us with "can't you watch while crossing"?
In fact what is pathetic is that the wrong side drivers are not just some illiterate / semi-literate people, but also include (apparently) literate and educated ones..... it appears to them that if 'x' can do it, why can't they also do the same thing! And the worst part is that these people instead of feeling ashamed for doing the wrong thing, argue with those who obey the rules as if the latter are doing something wrong!!

As someone has already remarked, if police are going to strictly enforce the rules, they need to build more jails in Pune.....
Old 17th September 2018, 17:11   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This wrong side driving is especially dangerous on the highway (a truck coming toward you in your lane ) or for smaller vehicles. In a head-on collision between a bike and a car, or a car and a truck, it will always be the former that suffers more damage.
Well, this could happen in the city as well. Things have gone so bad here that some idiots wouldn't think twice before driving a big industrial truck on the wrong side, that too at a good speed with headlights flashing. I am attaching the picture taken by my friend. This was at prominent Viman Nagar square near Hyatt - Novotel. Mind you, this was during peak morning traffic.

My friend tweeted this to the Pune police and it got published in TOI as well. Not sure if any action is taken against the driver.

On a side note, in local Amanora township, the citizen group came up with a solution that 'kills' the tires of the vehicles coming on the wrong side. However, Cops asked them to remove the so called 'Tire killers' on the ground that it would lead to an accident.

Link

ritzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 17:54   #66
BHPian

Looks like they are pretty serious about it.

Really appreciate the efforts being taken by new Pimpri-Chinchwad police commissioner RK Padmanabhan on tackling the traffic issues city is facing. He spent whole day in Hinjawadi IT park witnessing the traffic woes first hand and implemented pilot plan which is yielding results.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65826283.cms
Old 17th September 2018, 19:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

I was so so happy to read the title, but got totally disappointed on reading its basically just in PCMC right now.
Here in Pune, driving on the wrong side has been so deeply rooted and has been so regularly gone unnoticed, that people now drive on the wrong side like its their birth right.

Come to think of it, why is DUI (of alcohol) banned and not allowed? The basic premise being once alcohol is consumed, it reduces the thinking capacity of the person to such an extent that the person stops understanding what is good and bad for him or others, eg: driving on the wring side of the road, for instance. But then no one thought of people doing that without being DUI. I personally think, the penalty for breaking the law knowingly should be much more than what the penalty is for DUI, because then it is wilful.

I also heard someone mention that the number of traffic police personnel need to be increased. But in the last few years, people have stopped fearing them altogether.
Previously, people used to stop at a red light, and look around for the traffic police. If he is waiting, even on the other side of the road, no one used to break the red light.
Now, they just gauge is the police will be able to catch them if they break it, and some fearlessly break the red light even when the police is standing right on the same lane.

More and more people have started breaking traffic laws (or for that matter any other law) because they no longer fear it. It just means the department has failed to implement the laws properly.

Civic sense is something that has completely gone missing.

EDIT: nowadays, cars come on the wrong side, without any fear of law or oncoming traffic. Jungle rules apply as far as traffic law is concerned.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 17th September 2018 at 19:57.
vinit.merchant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 20:28   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I also heard someone mention that the number of traffic police personnel need to be increased. But in the last few years, people have stopped fearing them altogether.
I have been driving/riding in Pune since early 2000s and have observed this first hand. Earlier people used to fear police but today I have no idea why police do not stop anyone. It is most blatant in Hinjewadi.
Why do Police no longer enforce rules? And forget fines, at least takes bribes?

Last edited by ampere : 18th September 2018 at 18:29. Reason: compacted quoted section
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 22:04   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Civic sense is something that has completely gone missing. EDIT: nowadays, cars come on the wrong side, without any fear of law or oncoming traffic. Jungle rules apply as far as traffic law is concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I Earlier people used to fear police but today I have no idea why police do not stop anyone. Why do Police no longer enforce rules? And forget fines, at least takes bribes?
It's the same in all cities. Unlike 15 years ago, people double park with impunity on blind curves, drive through red signals, often while on a mobile phone!!

I think both of you have identified the REAL problem - uncivil approach of drivers towards others and want police to beat 'them' up (but not us). Do I apologize for a wrong move on the road? Do I honk angrily at someone overtaking me, without thinking they may be in an emergency? Do I tell the driver of taxi I'm in to follow traffic rules or drop me? Most of us dont even think about such things.

I've driven in other countries, and saw this civility most in New Zealand. They have a lot of unsignalled intersections and few policemen, but give way, pedesrial crossing rules are taught and obeyed as users know this is what keeps them safe and saves time. Very few speed up to get through an amber signal, like we do. Revocation of licenses happen for repeated bad drivers.

Strong arm tactics like 6 months jail and super fines, without a humongous number of well trained policemen on the streets, badly lit roads, missing signages, defenctive signals etc etc will not solve our problem for long. These encourage drivers to be even more uncivil, if they feel they wont be caught.

I propose TBHP members to take initiaitve in sensitizing road users, push for RTO's to check driving in traffic before handing out licenses, and have a system for withdrawing the licenses of repeat offenders. Road safety wont improve just by more airbags and draconian punishments.

Last edited by MBstoTBs : 17th September 2018 at 22:25. Reason: edited the comments
MBstoTBs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 08:33   #70
Team-BHP Support

Latest from Pune Traffic Police. IPC 279 to be slapped on all wrong side drivers.

Pune: Driving on the wrong side of the road may attract 6 month jail term-ipc279.jpg

Source: Twitter

As per http://indiankanoon.org: IPC 279

Quote:
Section 279 in The Indian Penal Code
279. Rash driving or riding on a public way.—Whoever drives any vehicle, or rides, on any public way in a manner so rash or negligent as to endanger human life, or to be likely to cause hurt or injury to any other person, shall be punished with im*prisonment of either description for a term which may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees, or with both.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 11:14   #71
BHPian

Personally I welcome the decision. But I'm pretty sure this will not completely stop wrong side driving. For example the truck with "Dada" written on it will continue driving on the wrong side with some good support. So will some expensive (or not if a party worker) vehicles with party flags or some even without them but just a phone call away.

But then, I'll still take the 99 percent reduction of wrong side driving with open hands if it's anyway implemented on all other normal public. The other 1 percent is anyway entitled. Why not? We put them there every 5 years

Also, it's been nearly a week this news has come out. But not heard of any convictions taking place, has anyone seen such news?
Old 18th September 2018, 11:21   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
If the relevant IPC section itself prescribes a punishment up to six months imprisonment, then I guess there is really no debate about whether the punishment is appropriate or commensurate. It's the law.

And whether anyone driving/riding on the wrong side of the road is endangering human life; I think that answer is pretty obvious too!
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 11:35   #73
BHPian

Man arrested for ‘driving on wrong side’, chargesheet filed in 4 hours

Police booked Shaikh under section 279 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and sections of the Motor Vehicle Act. He was then produced before the court. “Within four hours, we submitted the chargesheet against him before the court.

Source : https://indianexpress.com/article/cities/pune/man-arrested-for-driving-on-wrong-side-chargesheet-filed-in-four-hours-5361400/

Last edited by Who_are_you : 18th September 2018 at 11:36. Reason: Formating
Who_are_you is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 18:25   #74

In Pune, the problem of driving on the wrong side of the road is not only because of some rogue/illiterate drivers but most of the Puneites think it’s normal. There are two types of culprits: 1st One who think it’s their birth right to not-obey any kind of rules and 2nd one who think it’s normal (I-follow-him-you-follow-me).

I am the king (1st category): Sudden rise of millionaires (by selling their ancestral land to the builders; thanks to the real estate boom in Pune) has given rise to gangs of brothers (read Dada, Bhau etc.). These big-brothers have their own little barmy-army at their disposal whose only job is to roam around in their marked areas on their Honda Activas, and ensure they are noticed as the most nuisance creating league of below-ordinary-not-so-gentlemen. When one looks at these not-so-gentlemen driving on the wrong-side, they will boast it with a care-a-damn look. And if you mind it, they will give you piece of their mind .

I-follow-him-you-follow-me (2nd category): Everyday one can see parents dropping their kids to their school driving on the wrong-side and these are well known schools. These parents are mostly highly educated and well-paid by IT cos of Hinjawadi. And yet if you try to tell them that they are on the wrong-side of the road, they will either show you highway or ask you to join them as well (my way). It’s a common site at many traffic signals to see so many professionals jump traffic lights and drive on the wrong-side. Once a lady with a parking sticker/ID of one of the biggest IT Co in India jumped traffic signal and almost ran over a traffic cop who tried to stop her car – I was aghast when I saw her later entering the parking of a mall; perhaps she was late for her movie.

I think until we respect and understand the importance of the right-of-way, no-honking, no-lane cutting, zebra crossing etc. and understand that our actions (jumping traffic signal, wrong-side driving) have far-fetched repercussions, this will continue to happen with absolute apathy/indifference.

I hope this drive continues and doesn’t limit itself to penalizing only the 2nd category of wrong side drivers mentioned above.
Shrek123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 06:37   #75
Senior - BHPian

Seems like police are taking this new law seriously. Really glad to see this.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/pune-...rMUXtVmRN.html

Most Viewed