Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety

Old 19th September 2018, 07:14   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pune: Driving on the wrong side of the road may attract 6 month jail term

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Seems like police are taking this new law seriously. Really glad to see this.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/pune-...rMUXtVmRN.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
What is even better is the publicity/news bandwidth that is being given to it. I hope more 'noise' is made in the public space. For every chargesheet filed; it will impact 100 more (potential) wrong-doers to re-think their action.

Unfortunately, our chalta-hai attitude will take a long time to change. Strong laws and their bullish implementation is the only way to take it ahead.

On a side note, the quintessential question to ponder is 'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes' (who will guard the guardians). A photo tweet I had sent to Mumbai Police handle a few months back; this was a picture of of a cop car going on the wrong direction in a clearly marked one-way street in Powai (/Mumbai). There were a series of bikes following them in the wrong direction, making hay while the guardians itself were flouting the rules.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 09:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pune: Driving on the wrong side of the road may attract 6 month jail term

PUNE: A city court on Tuesday fined four car drivers Rs 2,500 each for driving vehicles on the wrong side of the road.

Hinjewadi police had filed charge sheet against these traffic offenders after they were caught driving on the wrong side on Monday. “In default of payment of fine, these offenders will have to face simple imprisonment for one day,” said Shivaji Gaware, senior inspector.

News Source: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65863166.cms
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 10:56   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

While there may be views about penalties like imprisonment and criminal cases being filed as too severe but sometimes one needs to remember that Hindi phrase "Laaton ke bhoot baaton se nahin mante".

Sadly a large majority of drivers and riders fall into this category. For e.g. one of my neighbours takes his 4 year old son on a Honda scooter & rides on the wrong side of the road to reach the main crossing/chowk. His wife follows the same principle. To top it off they don't wear a helmet and sometimes I see 3 of them on a two wheeler. So here is a well educated upper middle class family owning 2 cars cocking a snook at traffic rules. I can't help but feel disappointed.

Kudos to the Pune and PCMC cops for finally treating traffic violations with the seriousness they deserve. Please keep this as an ongoing exercise and it will eventually result in citizens treating the traffic rules with more respect.

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th September 2018 at 11:00. Reason: typo
R2D2 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 12:57   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
They should do it here at Bangalore too. Very sternly. Probably only imprisonment or put the offenders on social service at the very place where they broke the rule.
Absolutely agree. In fact if rolled out in Bangalore and people start behaving and not playing chicken with oncoming traffic , lots of accidents and many traffic jams would be resolved.
Incidentally in Bangalore its not only restricted to two wheelers , the vehicles can be a cyclist to a large lorry or bus who drive with a poker face without a feeling of remorse of having a large jam or inconvinience they cause in their wake.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2018, 07:21   #80
Team-BHP Support

Really happy with the way examples are set. I hope that the momentum is not lost and the city eventually gets rid of all miscreants who like to flirt with the law.

News link
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 11:53   #81
BHPian

So Punekars, its been a few days now. Do you see any change in the behaviour or reduction of on road wrong side drivers?
jphukan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 13:23   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphukan View Post
So Punekars, its been a few days now. Do you see any change in the behavior or reduction of on road wrong side drivers?
Not at all, only today I was riding my bike on the Hinjewadi Phase 3 road saw a water tanker approaching on the RHS lane at almost 40-50 kmph crossed him showing the finger (not sure if he understood though did make him slow down ).
Coming to the point there has been no change in the behavior of the people. I would say I dont see traffic cops on such junctions as they are already preoccupied with Hinjewadi traffic.
Unless the government uses iron hand people wouldn't learn.
ShivrajG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 13:59   #83
BHPian

Not entirely. Esp. with the Ganesh immersion proceedings.
There were a lot of diversions in place but 2 wheeler riders were flouting rules at many places by driving on the opposite side of the road or entering through slits in barricades.
A couple places, I saw people being asked to turn around by cops with lathis in their hands. How I'd love to make use of one and stand there in the uniform

But the traffic was well managed. Kudos to the cops really.

In PCMC, the crackdown on wrong side driving is thrilling. There are cops at almost all major intersections and where there is a possibility of people driving on the wrong side.

One of the main reasons I see people driving on the wrong side is that the cut in the divider is either too early or too later than the exit they'd like to take. On top of that, most places, the road is not too wide enough to do a U turn - but that implies to cars mainly. Two wheeler riders actually take on the "chalta hai" attitude and decide to ride wrong side, creating a lane for themselves beyond the parked vehicles.
The main roads have fared better with this crackdown. The inner roads are still the same.
adneeraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2018, 17:59   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Driving on the wrong side of the road in Pune may attract 6-month jail term.

News Source : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65790939.cms
Leading by action, it's kudos to the Pimpri-Chinchwad police for invoking Sec 279 of the IPC read with relevant sections of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The MV Act is softer for such traffic rule breakers and disposes of such cases with mere fines. Such negligent driving on the wrong side is rampant in many cities, towns and metros, where the law abiding road user is in for a shock, when he encounters a vehicle coming from the wrong side, sometimes at menacing speeds. Even car and truck drivers have started taking such liberties with wrong side driving on wide roads.

This needs to be emulated by the police all over India to check the menace.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th October 2018 at 18:03.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote