Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2018, 10:04   #46
BHPian

Re: Pune: Driving on the wrong side of the road may attract 6 month jail term

I’ve seen increased police presence in the past couple of days in Pune. While this is truly praiseworthy, as someone said, a criminal case and imprisonment may not be a sustaining deterrent. A hefty fine like Rs. 5000 and a black mark on the drivers license might be better.
I know this is a dream world thought but if the RTO takes an undertaking that all fines will be automatically collected from the owners linked bank account, it would give jitters to people. Most cities have now started the LIcense Plate Recognition system which identifies the number and takes a snap of the violation. Send a fine debited receipt and the snap to the registered address for every such offence. People will start following. If the account does not carry enough money to pay the fine, charge the person with the same offence as one would charge for a bounced cheque.

Last edited by roadrunner_nv : 16th September 2018 at 10:05. Reason: Spell check
Old 16th September 2018, 10:57   #47
BHPian

This is not going to work, simple. Jail time for something thousands of motorists do daily? they better build new prisons! I think we need to get some perspective here. This is just an eyewash to please the public, and supposedly act as a deterrent by way of a threat of jail. The problem is that the offenders also know that this will not be enforced, since the law enforcement has lost its credibility by making such empty threats in the past. They will be thinking "Yeah, right. We've heard it before!"

And in any case, a jail term is not warranted for this. First we should have a proper Driving license test, then create good road infrastructure, before imposing such laws.
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 11:23   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Stopping people from driving on wrong side needs to work. A long overdue move.

People caught driving on wrong side should be charged under sections of criminal act dealing with intent to murder.

The question I have is normal insurance fine print prohibits driving in many circumstances and has exclusions. Will driving on wrong side be one such exception? Insurance companies could shrug their shoulders at third party damages in such case.

Potential danger pretty much outweighs few rupees saved.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 20:49   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

I just came across this report dated 16th Sept: Criminal cases to be filed against drivers driving on the wrong side
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 22:55   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

It is disappointing that some press reports talk of the 6-month jail sentence being too harsh. Driving on the wrong side of the road is an invitation to death of some innocent(s) other than your own not so innocent self. If a man took a loaded gun into a crowded marketplace and fired off two 7.62mm calibre rounds in the air would we call him a threat to life and limb? These drivers who drive on the wrong side with audacity and impunity know full well they are doing the wrong thing. You don't need to jail tens of thousands. Just put 100 out for 6 months to start with and then 2 each month to let them know it is for real. My compliments to the Police. I hope the courts co-operate and don't get 'technical' and soft in the knees.
V.Narayan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 08:44   #51
Team-BHP Support

Earlier this month the Pune police had put 92 Passport applications on hold since the applicants had pending traffic offences against them. More here - News link.

Keeping all the negativity out of this thread, I believe any measure taken by the police is a good step forward in improving road safety. Apprehensions on the number of cases filed, lower success rate, temporary knee jerk reaction, etc etc aside, I surely feel we are headed the right way. Hope police transfers and new recruits continue to take this initiative forward.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 09:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Earlier this month the Pune police had put 92 Passport applications on hold since the applicants had pending traffic offences against them.
A passport cannot be issued to anyone with a criminal case. Employers who conduct background checks will not hire anyone with a criminal case. Lots of other similar problems.

I can understand a criminal case being slapped on the driver for DUI, or if his behavior causes injury or death, but a criminal case for wrong side driving instead of a heavy fine and license suspension is a bit too draconian.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 09:10   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I can understand a criminal case being slapped on the driver for DUI, or if his behavior causes injury or death, but a criminal case for wrong side driving instead of a heavy fine and license suspension is a bit too draconian.
Draconian? Please read V.Narayan's post once and think how dangerous wrong side driving is.

My workplace is on a busy arterial road in Pune. We often go across the road to get some snacks with the team. As a practice taught in school we are accustomed to first look right while crossing the road. 4 out of 10 times I have had a wrong side scooter rider almost hit me because I didn't look left and anticipate a moron would be riding on the wrong side. If that were not enough, their wrongdoing is topped with arrogance to question us with "can't you watch while crossing"? It is as dangerous as DUI if not more and those who indulge in this surely deserve jail time.
moralfibre is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 09:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Draconian? Please read V.Narayan's post once and think how dangerous wrong side driving is.
I know how dangerous it is. But there is this concept of proportionality when crafting punishment that needs to be kept in mind.

We can agree to disagree on whether or not the punishment above is entirely appropriate.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 09:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

I agree this too harsh. We lack enforcement with the current rules and regulations. Shouldn't enforcement be the first thing to do rather than changing the penalty ? Whatever the penalty is we need better enforcement which is not present just not in driving but every other public property use.
Old 17th September 2018, 10:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Come on! You and I both know that there is no such thing as "fine without receipt". That qualifies as a bribe and is a punishable offence.

And you and me both know the hard unfortunate state of our legal system. These kind of rules are first broken by the makers in most cases. I also feel sad for the police system as they are under tremendous pressure to let go certain kind of people.

I am the last one to break any traffic rule, heck, I have not even paid any fine till date in last 9 years of driving in Pune or anywhere. So, Kiran, relax, I did not mean to make a mockery of the rule.

I am totally ON for this new rule and they also need to tighten up a lot of existing rules, which are purely on paper right now. For instance, No Parking, Zebra crossings, and many text book rules. Making helmets mandatory comes last in my list, comparing to lot of other life threatening nonsense people do on the roads.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 11:02   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
But there is this concept of proportionality when crafting punishment that needs to be kept in mind.
I think it's proportional, because the person riding/driving on the wrong side is putting other lives at risk.

When I'm on my bike and a rider zooms towards me, or darts out from behind a parked vehicle directly into my path, he puts me and my pillion at risk. When I'm in my car and a rider with his family, his toddler balanced in front of the bike does the same thing, he puts his entire family at risk and me at risk of getting embroiled in a serious criminal case for no fault of mine.

It's a different matter that after driving in Bangalore for a while, one is aware that vehicles can come from literally anywhere and you're always on the alert and very slow. But the risk is very real. These guys should be punished severely and made an example of.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 11:52   #58
BHPian

I work and live near Hinjawadi Area of Pune which comes under PCMC.I travel almost 60 Kms a day in this area (drop my wife to the last point of this IT sector). I am very happy to see such kind of moves by the new PCMC commisioner. He visited the area few days ago and had implemented few diversions to ease out the traffic (I am not very sure if it helped or not). Eased my commute a bit. My view:

I have encountered even trucks coming on the wrong side and eyeballing you like you have done some crime coming onto the road, this is a daily practice around the hinjawadai area and just punishing the riders/drivers will not stop this menace as very few people will be caught due to lack of manpower and thousands of offenders on the street everyday.

My suggestion would be to give the police personnel a 50% or more as a commission from the amount of challans he gathers and maybe some tax free money too I guess then they will start working effortlessly without taking a meager bribe.
Secondly the Municipal corporations have to keep a check on encroachment on the roads and maintaining the roads in proper conditions. This together with the strict law enforcement can help in the hinjawadi traffic woes.

Thanks
ShivrajG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 13:10   #59
BHPian

There has to be a balance in the way the government punishes these Wrong side drivers. Its like liquor ban on beaches. With help of this law police have the teeth to regulate rowdy/unruly drunkards, while the general public doing there things peacefully are not chased by the police. There are many such examples in and out of india, where the establishment decides how seriously they pursue the rule to regulate public behavior.

It is the fear of law and punishment that acts as deterrent to regulate public, having said that no government can just fill up there jails nor do they have so many.
Old 17th September 2018, 13:48   #60
BHPian

Great job by PCMC police out there. Pune anyway has the most pathetic traffic sense than any other metro in our country. By the way, this rule should be immediately enforced on the Kolhapur--Satara section of NH4. There is rampant wrong side driving on that stretch especially the Kolhapur--Satara carriageway. One would often see a huge truck or tempo coming in wrong side with headlights on, even during night at times ! Wrong side driving on highways is way dangerous than anywhere else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks