Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2018, 10:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pune: Driving on the wrong side of the road may attract 6 month jail term

Driving on the wrong side of the road in Pune may attract 6-month jail term.

Quote:
In a major crackdown, the Pimpri Chinchwad police have started registering criminal cases under section 279 (rash driving) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against people driving their vehicles on the wrong side of the road. The Pune police are also contemplating a similar action against such offenders. If convicted under the section, a driver can be fined Rs 1,000 or imprisoned for up to six months or both.

On Tuesday, the Pimpri Chinchwad police booked 19 vehicle users, including four-wheeler drivers, under the section for driving on the wrong side of the road. The police will soon file a charge sheet against them.
News Source : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65790939.cms

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th September 2018 at 10:48.
SJM1214 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 10:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Pune: Driving on the wrong side of the road may attract 6 month jail term

Mod note: Thread moved to the Road safety section. Thanks for sharing.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 10:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post

News Source : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65790939.cms
They should do it here at Bangalore too. Very sternly. Probably only imprisonment or put the offenders on social service at the very place where they broke the rule.
deadguy25 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 11:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Great initiative! How I wish Ahmedabad police also come up with something like this. Here people are so used to driving on the wrong side that if someone doesn't do that, they are frowned upon!

But I hope it doesn't turn out to be another damp one like their earlier one-way strips.

R-Six
R-Six is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 11:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

Good move. But, they are planning to implement this in PCMC (Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal limits). Wonder why they can't do this in Pune which is right next door. The initiative is driven by the commissioner of police.

I just extracted one clip from my dashcam that was taken in May'18. Look at how many people they can tentatively send to jail in under a minute:

moralfibre is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 11:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Wonder why they can't do this in Pune which is right next door. The initiative is driven by the commissioner of police.
That is because the commissionarates have split now. Earlier pcmc was under Pune only. Now since 1 month it has been separated from Pune. The new commissioner of PCMC has come up with these instructions.
shipnil is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 13:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think we have enough laws and punishments. While I agree that this is a good step, it will bear fruit only if implemented properly with no exceptions (family of three on a bike, some purported emergency etc.).
arvind71181 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 14:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Jail all those driving on the wrong side of the road for 6 months is a sure way of decreasing traffic on the streets and guaranteed to have overflowing jail.
Double win for road users - less people riding on the wrong side and less people on the road overall as they languish in jail.
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 17:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is the ultimate irritating behaviour I've seen on our roads. I mean how shamelessly and at the same time arrogantly these people drive on the wrong side as if it has become their right.

Glad to see some stern punishments put in place. Hope they are implemented properly and people change for the good thereafter.
thoma is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 18:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Although, driving on the wrong side is not really prevalent on the main roads of my city,it is definitely present on the arterial roads. It is a very reckless act and on most occasions people do it as a matter of right and with arrogance.
Imprisonment is the right way to deal with this menace.

Last edited by bigron : 13th September 2018 at 18:22.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 19:46   #11
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Good move, hopefully this will curb such errant motorists.

Wrong side driving/riding has become all too common in many parts of Bangalore and it's left uncontrolled now. Even cops sometimes just ignore these motorists and focus on the easier/soft targets, those without helmets!

I hope this is implemented in Bangalore, hopefully someone will share the news article with Bangalore Traffic Police on social media.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 20:40   #12
BHPian

Half of bangalore (the bad half) will be in jail if they implement it in bangalore. I have a video that I hope to get it out of my dashcam.. A couple (in a bullet) with a son on the fuel tank and a daughter standing between them came down the wrong side of the road and cut across the vehicles standing at a junction on red signal just when the signal turned green. It was a miracle that no one hit them. Of course both husband and wife did not have helmets.
Imagine some poor guy if he had hit them for no mistake of his own and the ordeal he had to go through is there was a fatality.
etrast75 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 20:55   #13
BHPian

Bangalore traffic department is grossly understaffed. This is the main problem.

I've seen bikers driving on the wrong side suddenly execute a U-turn and vanish, to evade a chasing constable. The number of offenders reduce drastically when they spot a policeman. Their tails are up again as soon as the policeman is off duty. Unfortunately, such behaviour is all too common. Heavy fines, strict and regular policing will act as a deterrent. A punctured wallet is the only thing which is going to force us into line.

Last edited by strawhat : 13th September 2018 at 21:04.
strawhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 22:59   #14
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2018 at 08:31.
jailbird_fynix is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th September 2018, 07:59   #15
BHPian

I have unnerving experiences of people entering the wrong side first and doing "dadagiri" on people driving on the correct side. It's common in Hinjawadi area. One local politico, filling his mouth with tobacco right in front of us, clapping to wipe out the remainder on his palms, with his driver aggressively waving at us asking to go back, when he was in the wrong side, when there was no even traffic jam etc on what was his correct side, and we were opposite him. Such people will get away with whatever they do.

That way this is commonplace in Pune, but junction like Fatimanagar where there is a divider and a cantonment tax collection booth (whatever one country one tax means!) right opposite the divider where vehicles are stopped and there is a bus stop right before the booth. Thus half of the lane is already packed. Rest half is filled by people taking the wrong side. It is taken so much for granted by the people, you get stares and hand waving from these people for blocking "their way" when you take a turn into this lane from Solapur road.

There is no policeman found here ever. Don't know why. For most puneites or perhaps most Indians, traffic rules are rituals to be done if a policeman is around. Otherwise traffic lights are just some sort of decoration to make boring roads look interesting!

Very strict law enforcement and hefty penalties are needed in Pune to curb the menace. Kudos to PC commissioner for showing the grit to take such measures that are needed. Hope Pune's commissioner, instead of getting into "neighbors envy" mindset, borrows the practice with an open mind and implements it ruthlessly.

Last edited by mayuresh : 14th September 2018 at 08:04.
mayuresh is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks