Team-BHP - Is it legal to gift 5 litres of petrol in a can at a wedding?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Is it legal to gift 5 litres of petrol in a can at a wedding? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/201887-legal-gift-5-litres-petrol-can-wedding.html)

Is it safe and/ or legal to purchase, sell, transport, gift etc 5 litres of petrol in a can at a wedding in India⁉️

As fuel prices rise high, Tamil Nadu groom gets five litres petrol as wedding gift
The fuel symbolised a commodity worthy of being given as a gift, his friends said.
By: PTI | Cuddalore |
Updated: September 17, 2018 8:38:19 am

https://indianexpress.com/article/in...-gift-5359647/

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...r-ran-out.html

IMHO, we should just let it be.

It was just an innocent prank. There are so many other illegal things going on in our country. This was just some humour, and in my opinion, a very unique way of highlighting an issue facing the common man. Look at the publicity it has received.

No point in doing a post mortem on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murugan (Post 4462290)
Is it legal to purchase, sell, transport, gift etc 5 litres of petrol in a can at a wedding in India⁉️

As of now - it's legal. But if petrol prices continue to rise like this, soon the items will need to be declared under income returns and gift tax will need to be paid for it. :D

I wish someone had gifted me some diesel during my marriage time. Had heavy need for diesel, though it was half the price back then - but instead got enough 'Prestige pressure cookers' to last a lifetime. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murugan (Post 4462290)
Is it safe and/ or legal to purchase, sell, transport, gift etc 5 litres of petrol in a can at a wedding in India⁉️

So, five litres of petrol in TN should cost less than Rs.450. The friends of the groom have managed to spend just around Rs.100 each for the "gift" and have managed to garner enough publicity. Bravo! Does not even cover the cost of their wedding lunch. :uncontrol

One thing I fear for is the safety. Judging by the looks of the newly weds, it does not look like a reception but like the wedding ritual. With the sacred fire supposedly burning nearby somewhere, it isn't a brillant idea to gift petrol!

5 litres petrol as gift is not illegal. What is illegal is the container - it is illegal to carry petrol in plastic can. Have to use a metal can.
Secondly, carrying explosive fuel might raise suspicion.

It is not just about legality, but about safety too. Imagine even if 10 people gift 5 ltrs can each, as a joke in a crowded wedding party, it can lead to a disaster.

IMO, one can use gift coupons instead and have fun too. 😊

Extremely inappropriate and a bit macabre - when you see this "gift" in the context of approximately 10,000 dowry deaths per year in India.

Man, how much we analyze everything threadbare :) I guess it was done in jest and also to ram home a point about how precious petrol has become.

We can put anything on tbhp and ask to come up with points for and against and we will come up with pages :)

This is definitely a better gift compared to those my sister received. A family gifted her a pigeon 2 burner gas stove, neatly gift-wrapped, and handed over on stage! :lol:

Legality wise this is something that can get someone arrested.
For instance, the Petrol bunk employee is not supposed to provide fuel for anyone carrying open container and is only supposed to fill for vehicle.

There is one circumstance under which he might have done. Someone might have told him his vehicle has broke down and that is why he is in dire need. In this case the purchaser is at mistake for his integrity.

But if the person have extracted fuel from his bike by using tank drain method then there is no culpability. But the culpability might get transferred to how the receiver is storing it.

Note: this is not a legal advise, it is based personal experience

I think it is illegal to carry loose petrol. One has to fill the petrol only at gas stations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 4463222)
I think it is illegal to carry loose petrol. One has to fill the petrol only at gas stations.

It is illegal for Petrol pumps to sell petrol in a can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xingamazon (Post 4463178)
Legality wise this is something that can get someone arrested.
For instance, the Petrol bunk employee is not supposed to provide fuel for anyone carrying open container and is only supposed to fill for vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 4463222)

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 4463249)
It is illegal for Petrol pumps to sell petrol in a can.

Really?
Should I take the petrol / diesel generators to the fuel station to get it fueled?

My understanding these days were there is a restriction related to the can / container material, ie., plastic is restricted

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 4463378)
Really?
Should I take the petrol / diesel generators to the fuel station to get it fueled?

There is actually one generator that you can drive to the fuel station - the Multix.lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 4463378)
Really?

My understanding these days were there is a restriction to related to the can / container material, ie., plastic is restricted

I think you are right.
This is what I found on Quora:
"its illegal to buy petrol in an empty plastic bottle from a petrol pump in India but as per section 8 of Petroleum Rules 2002, you can buy in Glassware or Stoneware bottle up to 1 liters and in metal cans up to 25 liters without any licence"