Team-BHP - Global NCAP World Congress to be held at Delhi in September 2018
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Global NCAP World Congress to be held at Delhi in September 2018 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/201990-global-ncap-world-congress-held-delhi-september-2018-a.html)

The Global New Car Assessment Program (GNCAP) will be hosting its first ever 'Global NCAP World Congress' in New Delhi from September 26-29, 2018. The event is being organized in partnership with the Institute of Road Traffic Education (IRTE).

Global NCAP World Congress to be held at Delhi in September 2018-ncap-crash.jpg

The purpose of the World Congress is to facilitate dialogue on vehicle safety between automobile manufacturers, policy makers and road safety experts. Apart from vehicle safety, discussions will be held on topics like the United Nations' sustainable development goals, the role and development of NCAPs in emerging markets, priorities for motorcycle safety, safer cars for India, and fleet safety.

The 'Stop The Crash' campaign will be launched during the event, which will take place at the Buddh International Circuit. The campaign will rally for the early adoption of safety systems like electronic stability control & autonomous braking systems. Visitors will be shown live demonstrations of these safety systems including ABS for 2-wheelers.

Link to Team-BHP News

That's a great move. It should be well covered by the media so that the people understand what a safe car is. The GlobalNCAP has been doing good work with crash testing models sold in India. I sincerely hope that people from the Ministry of Road Transport also attend this and stringent crash norms are adhered to in our country also.

Great opportunity if used properly. Can be used as a platform to start educating our vehicle safety related officials clap:

On a lighter note , the Global NCAP guys can learn how unsafe vehicles can be made and maintained, just by looking around during their lunch break :D. Will be a great learning for them too.

As an end user, is there anything that we can do or learn anything from this. Can we attend this personally.

As a precursor, the Tata Nexon has scored 4 stars in a recent NCAP test. On the rear view mirror we see the ZERO SCORERS right from the Alto, DZire, Swift, many more Marutis, Hyundais, Nano, Scorpio and many others who were all proud to score the most unsafe ZERO. The automakers were not at all perturbed or apologetic. Instead, they have carried on selling the most unsafe cars, miaming and killing people in the thousands. At the same time the Swift exported to the U.K. scored four stars. Similarly the Chennai built Renault Kwid that scores a ZERO for the Indian version, scores a mighty four stars when it is exported to the Brazilian market from here.

With the very late ushering in of the mandatory NCAP scoring in India by 2019 (2020 for existing car models) and this forthcoming World Congress, hopefully the automakers will take note and stop miaming or killing the gullible occupants of unsafe cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4464251)
The purpose of the World Congress is to facilitate dialogue on vehicle safety between automobile manufacturers, policy makers and road safety experts. Apart from vehicle safety, discussions will be held on topics like the United Nations' sustainable development goals, the role and development of NCAPs in emerging markets, priorities for motorcycle safety, safer cars for India, and fleet safety.

Good news. Change is surely yet slowly coming in the Indian buyer's mind. Gone are the days when safety was relegated to a lower priority. Today's youngsters are buying cars with dual airbags, abs at the minimum and expecting more safety goodies likes IsoFIX, side and curtain airbags, ESP, etc.

From my days working as a car salesman I remember a form we had to fill every time we got an enquiry. We used to document a customers first visit / call, test drives as well as his booking and delivery notes. Incase a competitor product was taken, we had mark reasons like price, availability, discount, missing features, engine + gearbox combo, etc. Today, I'm sure the reason 'more safety features' is one of the first reasons (or at least an important reason) for those customers selecting competitor product.

I can proudly say that those in my home belt up all the time - even at the back, but I was more surprised when I gave lift to my neighbour, the first thing that he did was belt up - P.S. He is a non car guy.

Its high time government takes cognizance of this and introduces rules for minimum. safety features. After all, no one will complain if car prices rise proportionally ~ 2 more airbags and abd+ebd per car per manufacturer would not affect the car purchase as much as people think it would.

In view of the rising costs to make cars safer, and less polluting, manufacturers elsewhere are having a tough time meeting goals and still make profits. Look at the diesel gate issue. Even makers from countries like Japan, who have been the epitome of quality control are feeling the pinch and resorting to illegal means.

So, I have a feeling the NCAP World Congress is being held in India so that the developed world can learn a few things from India. Not the other way round. They will learn how not to have any worthwhile crash tests or stringent regulations and still sell a million cars a month. How to make people believe they are buying a car with 6 airbags when actually there are none which deploy when needed. How not to have regulations that matter and thus save money. How to make sudden thoughtless regulations and leave everyone scratching their heads.

In short a crash course on how to sell unsafe cars.

Electronic Stability Control And Autonomous Emergency Braking Mandatory By 2022/23 - Joint Secretary, Ministry of Road Transport & Highways .

Quote:

Global NCAP has partnered with other companies such as Bosch, Continental, ZF and others who engage in manufacturing braking systems and other ancillaries. The "Stop The Crash" campaign also organised demonstration of crash avoidance technologies such as ABS for two-wheelers, ESC and autonomous braking as well.

Link