Team-BHP - Seatbelts are a must for rear seat occupants on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Seatbelts are a must for rear seat occupants on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/202194-seatbelts-must-rear-seat-occupants-mumbai-pune-expressway.html)

According to a media report, the highway police have started enforcing the seat belt rule on the Pune-Mumbai Expressway for the rear passengers as well as the front passenger and the driver.

Seatbelts are a must for rear seat occupants on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway-713821mumbaipuneexpressway03.jpg

The new rule was initiated about a month ago, following which, special police teams were requesting road users to wear their seat belts. However, for the last 2 weeks, police have started collecting a fine of Rs. 200 per offender.

According to the Highway Safety Patrol, the rule cannot be implemented in full as there are some 5-seater cars that have only 2 seat belts in the rear, while some older cars don't even have rear seat belts. Those flouting the law by tucking the seat belts under the seat covers are being pulled over and instructed to fix the seat belts.

Source: TOI

Link to Team-BHP News

Good initiative. It is highly unfortunate for us as a mass to need a legislation for our own safety but yes, the way people give two hoots about their own safety; it's better to slap a fine so that lesson is learnt the way it hurts the most...to the most- financially.

Should be implemented pan India.

Attaching some images showing the forces worked upon by rear passengers when unbelted, and how can they also become a danger for other passengers in the car in the event of an impact. Hope this brings us to senses:

Name:  GIF20180926064218.gif
Views: 8877
Size:  1.90 MB

Name:  GIF20180926064219 1.gif
Views: 3678
Size:  1,018.1 KB

Do compare with the belted passenger on the ear right to the unbelted on the rear left:

Name:  GIF20180926064219.gif
Views: 3883
Size:  1.65 MB

Name:  GIF20180926064220.gif
Views: 3895
Size:  2.12 MB

Name:  GIF20180926124917.gif
Views: 4868
Size:  992.2 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4468328)
The new rule was initiated about a month ago, following which, special police teams were requesting road users to wear their seat belts.

They should've initiated this years ago.
We make regular one-day trips to Pune from our Mumbai office.
We've made it a rule (years ago) that office members who don't want to fasten seat belts during the trip are not allowed to travel.
Moreover it'll be a day without pay for them.

Strict system like this works really well. :D

I have always faced problems in getting people to buckle up in the rear seats especially when they are elders. If I insist too much they may get offended.

For the front seats I have been successful to get everyone to buckle up by saying that police will fine us if front seat passangers don't buckle up.

The safety angle is not appreciated by most of the people.

My father and father-in-law started buckling up while driving only when seatbelts belt use was made mandatory in their cities.

I'm surprised at the pecking order taken by the authorities to enforce seat belt rule - Driver, front seat passenger, last and also the least, rear seat passengers? It is not as though one person's life matters less so as to 'relieve' him/her of the 'hassle' of seatbelts:Frustrati

Hope authorities do not discriminate between roads ( prominent expressways vs state highways vs city roads); cities (metro as small towns) or even class of the vehicle (private cars vs 3-row seater people carrier); as all untethered occupants become projectiles on all roads without bias, if a crash occurs beyond moderate speeds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI (Post 4468385)
I'm surprised at the pecking order taken by the authorities to enforce seat belt rule - Driver, front seat passenger, last and also the least, rear seat passengers? It is not as though one person's life matters less so as to 'relieve' him/her of the 'hassle' of seatbelts:Frustrati

Hope authorities do not discriminate between roads ( prominent expressways vs state highways vs city roads); cities (metro as small towns) or even class of the vehicle (private cars vs 3-row seater people carrier); as all untethered occupants become projectiles on all roads without bias, if a crash occurs beyond moderate speeds.

While I'm one to often criticize the government's (not just the current one) approach to rolling out rules, I'm fine with this approach. Previously, in a cab, you'd be lucky to find the front passenger seat belt, and once you did, you'd be alarmed at how dusty/dirty it was. Today, with the front seatbelts rule having been in active play for years, that is no longer a concern, and is the reason I sit in the front seat, and buckle up.

Now if this rule ensures that over time the rear seat belts are also accessible and its usage is not seen as some crazy "phoren" behaviour, then I'm all for it :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedogod (Post 4468378)
I have always faced problems in getting people to buckle up in the rear seats especially when they are elders. If I insist too much they may get offended.

I'd say don't bother with them getting offended. Or if they even mock you. You're keeping them safe, their teeth/faces intact, and their lives safe. You're doing likewise for those in the front seat by ensuring the backbenchers are buckled up.

They may not realize or appreciate the favour you're doing them, but that has always been the burden of the enlightened :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4468339)
Attaching some images showing the forces worked upon by rear passengers when unbelted, and how can they also become a danger for other passengers in the car in the event of an impact.

Woah, that's scary! So it's in the best interests of the driver too to ensure that the people in the rear are secured, as it's a matter of the driver's safety too, not just those in the rear. Thanks for sharing! Sharing a tip that might help, as the driver of the car, one can just refuse to start moving till everyone has secured themselves with a seat belt. I used to use this technique with my pillion riders who never used to wear a helmet (before the rule came in making it compulsory). Will lead to some drama at first, a few fights for sure, maybe even a canceled outing or two. But they will eventually realize that you are serious and will start doing the safe thing.

Long overdue, but better late than never. It irritates me enormously when educated people travel in cars without wearing rear seat belts. It irritates me even more when Uber / Olas or hired cars turn up with rear seat belts tucked below seat covers. Much to my friends’ amusement, I insist on their wearing rear seat belts when in my car. Hopefully, this is a first step and enforcement in cities starts - which will turn wearing rear seat belts into a habit.

I started wearing a seat belt even when sitting in the rear after a dangerous experience in another country.

I took a cab from Airport to Hotel in Baku, Azerbaijan, it was a 'London cab' which is very big with back facing jump seats in the rear (Like Maruti Omni) and the old guy was lighting up his cigarette while driving while the car in front braked. He saw it a little too late slammed the brakes hard and I flew off the seat and landed face first on the partition glass ahead like this :Frustrati
It was a close call and I gave some verbal expletives to that idiot driver asking him to light up the damn cigarette after pulling the car aside. I also felt what kind an idiot I was to not wear the belt.

This decision is good and commendable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4468328)
According to a media report, the highway police have started enforcing the seat belt rule on the Pune-Mumbai Expressway for the rear passengers as well as the front passenger and the driver.

Great initiative. Wearing seat belts at the rear should be made mandatory on all roads/highways/expressways. Given the number of deaths on the Mumbai-Pune expressway, it is much needed. There are far too many over-speeding, overloaded and under-maintained cars on that particular road.

I personally have been insisting that everyone in the car buckles up when on highways for a few years now. Given its mostly kids on the rear seat, had a car seat imported from USA for the little one. The daughter is thankfully old enough to sit independently without a booster seat.

What a move! Hat's off.

In my car, on the highway, rear passengers must be buckled up, no matter how much they might whine & complain.

Heck, if I take an Uber and sit on the backseat, I buckle up within the city too (although I prefer the front bucket seat in cabs).

An old but amazing video to drive the point home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SEy_FCJlpk

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4468339)
Attaching some images showing the forces worked upon by rear passengers when unbelted, and how can they also become a danger for other passengers in the car in the event of an impact. Hope this brings us to senses:

I find images like these are the perfect way to show otherwise educated people why seatbelts are so important! So many people have this impression that they are like Wolverine in the city. I have lost count of the times when I've been told all these things are of no use in 'city driving'!

Wow at Last, Long time coming something is being done for safety. If I am not mistaken Here on Team BHp videos were shown and on U tube also .I had shown my child these and its been more than a couple of years all seat belt used in the car. Infact she reminds others in the car to do so and they do it reluctantly .
I always had the rule since in 2002 a relative had met with an accident and the rear passenger bore the most brunt and the one in front seat ahead of him on the left side was sandwiched due to his weight.