Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2018, 13:23   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Vitara Brezza scores 4 stars in the Global NCAP test

Great result by Maruti Suzuki with impressive four star rating for Vitara Brezza.

Quote:
It was noted that the protection offered to the driver and passenger head and neck was good and the Brezza's bodyshell was rated as stable with capability of withstanding further loading.

Maruti Vitara Brezza scores 4 stars in the Global NCAP test-capture.jpg

Maruti Vitara Brezza scores 4 stars in the Global NCAP test-1.jpg

Maruti Vitara Brezza scores 4 stars in the Global NCAP test-2.jpg

Quote:
ADULT OCCUPANT

The protection offered to the driver and passenger head and neck was good. Driver chest showed marginal protection while
passenger chest showed good protection. Driver’s knees showed marginal protection and passenger’s knees marginal and good
protection as they could impact with dangerous structures behind the dashboard supported by the Tranfascia tube. The bodyshell was
rated as stable and it was capable of withstanding further loadings. The car offers standard sBR for driver and standard ABS.

CHILD OCCUPANT

The child seat for the 3 year old was installed FWF with ISOFIX and top tether and was able to prevent excessive forward movement
during the impact with good protection for the head while marginal protection to the chest. The 18 month old CRs was installed
with ISOFIX and top tether forward facing which explains the loss of head points, it showed poor protection for the head and limited
protection for the chest. The recommended CRSs did not show incompatibility. The vehicle offers standard ISOFIX and top tether
anchorages in the 2 outboard rear seats and does not offer 3 point belts in all seating positions.

David Ward, Global NCAP Secretary General :

Quote:
The four star result for Maruti Suzuki’s Vitara Brezza is really impressive. It demonstrates clearly the safety engineering capabilities of India’s leading vehicle manufacturer. It also shows the beneficial effects of the Indian Government’s new crash test standards helping to raise levels of vehicle safety.

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th September 2018 at 13:47. Reason: Typo fixed
volkman10 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 13:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Vitara Brezza scores 4 stars in the Global NCAP test

This is some good news finally coming from the largest 4-wheeler maker and seller in the Indian market. Also gives some confidence that the recent breed of Nexa vehicles should fare better than their older siblings when put against the test. Though the Brezza isn't sold through Nexa itself.

Obviously this wasn't a rocket science that Suzuki didn't know earlier but good that they have finally put that into the product. And now we can finally say that there was some meat in the claims by Maruti when they said that this will be the 'first car to be certified for the Indian offset & side impact crash tests that are coming in 2017'. Also the Brezza isn't exactly light by any standards and uses high-tensile steel (claimed by Maruti). Good to see all this producing good results on the battle field. Another feel good is that the Brezza is entirely designed and made in India by MS team.

If MS starts producing safer vehicles, I don't see a reason why it can't add more customers who deviate elsewhere to buy safer vehicles.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 27th September 2018 at 14:01.
saket77 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 13:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah, what a relief. I was waiting for this result for so long. And I'm happy that Maruti did not skimp on the safety aspect. There is hardly any cabin intrusion or deformation of A pillar. Lovely.

I had a seen a Brezza at workshop few months back, somehow that snap is not with me right now, I'll try to find and upload it. That car had a 30% around offset crash with a Bolero. The cabin had held well with both airbags popping. The passengers survived but not those in Bolero as mostly were not belted. There were 2 or 3 casualties in that accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Vitara Brezza scores 4 stars in the Global NCAP test-screenshot_20180927133943.jpg  

Last edited by BoneCollector : 27th September 2018 at 13:46.
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 13:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Good stuff, a Maruti that can't be called a tin can. Along with the S-Cross, the Brezza now makes it onto my recommendations shortlist.

Thanks once again to the Global NCAP programme for testing Indian cars, it is such a relief to get accurate crash test results for the actual cars we buy and drive.
arunphilip is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 15:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Even though Maruti will be happy to have ALMOST matched Tata Nexon's score in the Glocal NCAP's Crash Tests, proving that it is a safe car, but still Nexon scored better for Adults and Child safety in comparison, still proving that it is built like a tank!!

Brezza's Rating numbers

Maruti Vitara Brezza scores 4 stars in the Global NCAP test-2.jpeg
Nexon's Rating numbers

But, glad to see that Maruti was right about the new crop of cars being BNVSAP compliant and ready!
AdityaDeane is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 15:22   #6
BANNED

Good to see a base model scoring well. And this should serve as an example that weight/ tin can feel is not the way to measure the potential safety of the car. Now i would like to see a Base swift tested so that we can know about the competency of the most popular car.

Also, I think Global NCAP should be testing the lateral crash safety as well. Both the structure as well as airbags would be checked as I'm worried that in budget cars, they would be made to comply with frontal crash norms of India but not safe in other crash scenarios.
agambhandari is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 15:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

The 'tin can' label is officially at risk.

Extremely delighted to see Maruti Suzuki enter the four star rating club - along with TATA, Toyota and VW. Hope their others models follow suit as well soon.

I have a feeling Ciaz is also tested and the results might come soon. The website claims that the safety has been validated by international tests.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 16:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

India's 'safer' cars so far as tested by Global NCAP,

Global safety watchdog Global NCAP’s Secretary General David Ward speaks on the latest India results of the Safer Cars for India crash tests.

India is very close to producing a 5 Star rated car!

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th September 2018 at 16:26.
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 16:20   #9
BHPian

Finally! Hopefully within the new decade the average joe who's looking to buy a reasonably safe, crashworthy car won't have face the discomforting thought that he can get power steering, electric windows, touchscreen infotainment, daytime running lights etc in almost any car, but safety? Sir, if you want safety you will have to increase your budget a fair bit!
Lone Ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 16:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite an amazing feat. I never thought this was possible.

Maruti trumping Global carmakers like Ford, VW, Renault etc. on safety in the mass market is a good way forward.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 17:14   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I was expecting Brezza to score well. The car is based on same platform as S-Cross, i.e Suzuki C platform.

It should be eye opener for people who blindly call Maruti cars are not safe by just looking at accident pics
Dr.Naren is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 18:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

I was one of among those who criticized seemingly weakly built cars and advocated that the car with more weight being safer when the safety ratings of 2 cars in a crash are the same.

But, this video has opened my eyes. [Pardon me if this is a repost.]

Good that India's largest car maker has set some benchmark so that others follow the suite. Lets hope NCAP also tests the indian made Swift & Dzire which are the other blockbusters.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 27th September 2018 at 18:59.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 19:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing volkman10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Good stuff, a Maruti that can't be called a tin can...
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
And this should serve as an example that weight/ tin can feel is not the way to measure the potential safety of the car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The 'tin can' label is officially at risk.

I have a feeling Ciaz is also tested and the results might come soon. The website claims that the safety has been validated by international tests.
This is what I has posted on my dealership experience thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
[*]Upgradation - MSIL is always thinking of new things to do. They don't sit at the top and go lazy, on the contrary, they have been launching new dealerships - Nexa, True Value, Arena, Commercial Vehicles, etc. Their new models are claimed meet the proposed safety norms - Nexa cars come standard with dual airbags and ABS, now Dzire also has it standard. Driver airbag is standard on the new Celerio and Vitara Brezza. The iCreate customization was introduced for the Brezza and is now available on the Swift as well.[/list]
I had always held the opinion that the a car buyer dictates the safety aspects of a car. There are numerous internal surveys / reattaches done by carmakers to figure out what sells. I'm pretty sure Maruti has understood that safety is nearly at the top at these times. The awareness levels in consumers is high these days. I'm really happy that Maruti has taken the lead here and has most of their line-up offering standard safety features. Gradually, they will move out the outdated cars ~ like Eeco, Alto and the likes and replace them with safer cars. Maruti having a 50% market share means they will dictate what features even competitors would have. Having a good safety rated line-up will cause rivals to wake up and offer similar if not more safety ratings.
blackwasp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 19:31   #14
BHPian

I am happy as this gives me a feeling I took a right decision n year back. When I bought Brezza, it didn’t have Isofix mounts, but every other competitor had it. I gave that feedback and purchased a seatbelt based booster seat. It is surprising that the recent units have Isofix mounts and I cannot remember any announcement of introducing it, looks like they silently implemented it.

Last edited by GTO : 28th September 2018 at 09:32. Reason: typo
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 21:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to see the bonnet just flipping open and not getting crumpled
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed