Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2018, 22:23   #16
BANNED

re: Maruti Vitara Brezza scores 4 stars in the Global NCAP test

It is good to know that the new crop of Indian cars are good at safety, and happy to know that our products are also improving. People who own these cars definitely will be feeling happy and feel proud about their choice. But as an owner of 4th generation Honda City, I have come to know about the dark side of having thin body panels and come to understand better the brighter side of having thick body panels.

The thin body panels are too much prone to dents and the maintenance becomes a nightmare. I love to baby my car, but all I get in return are more dents. So considering same safety ratings for two cars, I will always prefer a thick body panel car strictly considering the maintenance part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Interesting to see the bonnet just flipping open and not getting crumpled
I don’t know why you found it interesting. I don’t find anything interesting or unusual there. Due to high raised bonnet, no force was acting on any part of it, hence was not crumpled. Same could be seen in the crash test video of Nexon.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th September 2018 at 22:38. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 22:25   #17
BHPian

I am pleasantly surprised. I did not expect even a 3 considering that the global manufacturers (read Ford) got a 3.

I am actually satisfied if any of the cars get a 3. It is a good place to start in our country. 4 is great and 5 is just plain extraordinary.

Does that change popular or 'unpopular' perception about Maruti? Popular perception is anyways good

In that segment I would still rate Ecosport>Nexon>Brezza. I cannot think of WRV of anything but a spruced up Jazz.

Any why is NCAP after the KWID? They keep testing every iteration of the poor thing
AKTRACK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 23:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post

I don’t know why you found it interesting. I don’t find anything interesting or unusual there. Due to high raised bonnet, no force was acting on any part of it, hence was not crumpled. Same could be seen in the crash test video of Nexon.
I expected it to crumble as you see in most cases (including SUVs) and hence found it interesting. I did not imply whether it is a good thing or bad thing.
Old 27th September 2018, 23:11   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I expected it to crumble as you see in most cases (including SUVs) and hence found it interesting. I did not imply whether it is a good thing or bad thing.
It would have crumpled if it was lower or the obstacle it hit was higher. The impact was simply below the bonnet so nothing for it to crumple against hence just remained intact.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 23:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It would have crumpled if it was lower or the obstacle it hit was higher. The impact was simply below the bonnet so nothing for it to crumple against hence just remained intact.
I guess it is also to do with the bonnet design, where the sheet metal doesn't curve down and flow on to the front.
Old 27th September 2018, 23:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Attachment 1802646
Brezza's Rating numbers

Attachment 1802647
Nexon's Rating numbers

What surprises me, though, is that Global NCAP almost always tests the base variant of any vehicle, and the same has been followed for Vitara Brezza! But why was Nexon's top model tested and score of base model test not revealed? It lacks ISOFIX Child Seat Mounts, and that would have changed the score of Child occupants. The other stats would have remained the same though.

Lodgy scored a big Zero because it's base model was tested and it lacked Dual Airbags and ISOFIX Child Seat Mounts.
AdityaDeane is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 01:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

A step in the right direction- the government and car makers are getting ready to reduce accidents/serious injuries due to crashes. Shows that all companies have the design know-how to make cars safer, it was just plain reluctance to do so all these years.

Any idea when the cars are going to come with a safety rating on a sticker on the glass?

Please let's not make this a Vitara Brezza vs Nexon thread.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 07:39   #23
BHPian

When I was checking the weight of the car that was tested, it was showing as 1392 (source --> http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...uti_Vitara.pdf ) and the car which is on sale in India has a weight range of 1175-1210 (Source --> https://www.marutisuzuki.com/channel.../vitara-brezza ). Should we be raising the eyebrows, or is this including the dummies inside the car and the weight of the extra sensors .
anumod is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 07:46   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
A step in the right direction- the government and car makers are getting ready to reduce accidents/serious injuries due to crashes. Shows that all companies have the design know-how to make cars safer, it was just plain reluctance to do so all these years.
I won’t say companies are at fault all these years. I have already read in lot of threads here itself “I drive safely, no airbag is needed”, “I usually drive in city, hence no airbag”, “city driving don’t require ABS” etc. So if this is the case with ‘enthusiasts’, I don’t have to say anything about common man.

The way each person understand something is completely dependent on his priorities. I have updated my car tyres to 195 section Michelin xm2’s. For me, it’s money well spent, more fun to drive, better grip, less noise etc. But for another person it can be a waste of money, only for looks, less fuel efficiency etc. Companies innovate based on (changing) market preferences, and now we could clearly see the shift in market for safer cars. The recent safety implementations are, I think because of the changing market preferences, which in turn is due to the new generation buyers who have lot of money to spent and they spent it right too.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 07:55   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
When I was checking the weight of the car that was tested, it was showing as 1392 kgs .
I guess that's the gross vehicle weight which would include the dummie's plus other test apparatus weights. I checked other test results, Nexon test weight was 1490kgs but actual weight is 1237 for Petrol and 1305 for Diesel.
BoneCollector is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 09:38   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Vitara Brezza scores 4 stars in the Global NCAP test

Congratulations to Maruti = You have made a statement in 1 of the 2 areas you were lacking in (the 2nd being good bigger engines...even the Ciaz' new 1.5L is mediocre).

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
India's 'safer' cars so far as tested by Global NCAP
Of the top 5 cars:

- VW Polo = No surprise

- Maruti = Pleasant surprise

- TWO Tatas = Respect

- Toyota Etios, completely unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I was expecting Brezza to score well. The car is based on same platform as S-Cross, i.e Suzuki C platform.
And the same platform as the international AWD Vitara too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Please let's not make this a Vitara Brezza vs Nexon thread.
Yes, absolutely. Any further posts on this will be deleted. Please 'report' if you should see any. Thanks!

Last edited by Samurai : 28th September 2018 at 10:58. Reason: typo
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 09:42   #27
Team-BHP Support

Kudos to customers who are driving the change by demanding safety, and kudos to our market sales leader for listening to them.

One doesn't need to be Maruti fan to applaud this. Safer cars on road are a good thing even if one isn't driving them. If I had to crash, I'd prefer everyone involved walking away with minimal harm, even those in the opposite vehicle.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 10:09   #28
BHPian

Its heartening to see good crash scores from county's largest car manufacturer. Now its time to plonk 1.5l petrol/ diesel engines and make the package complete.
IMO along with frontal crash test, side impact test should also be done, to gauze the overall safety of the vehicle. If Indian Baleno/ Ignis/ Swift clear the side impact test, then it will definately change my 'More Heavy=More Safe' mindset.
Old 28th September 2018, 10:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

I always had this feeling that Brezza is that one car from Maruti stable (other than S-Cross) that would score better in terms of safety. One of the main reasons being that its based on international Vitara Platform.

That doesn't take away from the fact that the lower range Maruti's (read Swift/Baleno/Ignis etc.) have still a long way to go in terms of safety.

Coming to the product itself, its high time Maruti gives the car a thorough facelift and introduce a capable Petrol engine, mated to a CVT or 5 speed torque converter.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 10:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Good news!

MSIL has surely turned a corner after Mr. Bhargava made those silly remarks a few years ago.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...tatements.html

The market being immature didn't care much (looking at the sales, share price etc.), but T-BHP did and very rightly so.

Since those remarks, MSIL has surely come a long way and made good advancements on safety. Safety as standard for all cars from Nexa was a first. So, kudos to them for that. A long way to go still!

Hope ABS/ Airbags/ Stable Structure will soon be a standard across the range - right from the new Alto! And there is no dilution of safety for the domestic market.
deetjohn is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks