Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2018, 13:36   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault Lodgy scores a zero in the Global NCAP tests

The Renault Lodgy without airbags in its standard version achieved zero stars for Adult Occupant Protection and two stars for Child Occupant Protection.

Renault Lodgy scores a zero in the Global NCAP tests-1.jpg

Renault Lodgy scores a zero in the Global NCAP tests-2.jpg

Quote:
The zero star result was partly due to the lack of airbags which caused the head and chest to impact the steering wheel. The car also showed an unstable structure during the crash with deformations even in the rear door and a rupture in the footwell area during the crash. The lack of ISOFIX anchorages meant that the child seats needed to be installed with adult seatbelts, that could not prevent excessive forward excursion of the 3 year old dummy which impacted its head on the driver seat backrest.
Quote:

ADULT OCCUPANT:

The protection offered to the driver head and neck was poor due to the impact with steering wheel. Passenger head and neck had
good protection. Driver chest had weak protection and passenger chest marginal protection. Driver and passenger’s knees offered
marginal protection as they could impact with dangerous structures behind the dashboard supported by the Tranfascia tube. The
bodyshell was rated as unstable and it was not capable of withstanding further loadings. The car does not offer standard SBR and no
standard ABS.

CHILD OCCUPANT:

The child seat for the 3 year old was installed FWF with the adult seatbelt and was not able to prevent excessive forward movement
during the impact allowing the head of the dummy to contact the front seat offering poor protection for the head and limited
protection for the chest. The 18 month old CRs was installed with the adult belt RWF and it showed good protection for head and
chest. The recommended CRSs did not show incompatibility. The vehicle does not offer standard ISOFIX and top tether anchorages
and does not offer 3 point belts in all seating positions.

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th September 2018 at 13:44.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 15:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault Lodgy scores a zero in the Global NCAP tests

They have emphasized that Renault Lodgy does not get Dual Airbags or ABS as standard fare, and so the result is so disappointing. But I am sure that this is not the Indian spec Renault Lodgy, as even from the base STD variant, ABS+EBD+Brake Assist are standard on the Indian spec Lodgy.

Renault Lodgy scores a zero in the Global NCAP tests-lodgy.jpg

They should do a test of the top spec, RxZ variant as well. It may not fare very differently, as the body structure in UNSTABLE, but the results on the passengers inside may be a little different and it may score at least 1-2 stars, if not even 3.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 15:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
But I am sure that this is not the Indian spec Renault Lodgy, ---
The Lodgy tested is 'Made in India' and valid for Indian Market . See the foot note on the report!
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 16:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Lodgy tested is 'Made in India' and valid for Indian Market . See the foot note on the report!
Agree with you on the foot note! But, you'll agree with me about the discrepancy about ABS not being standard, I am sure!!
Old 27th September 2018, 17:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Agree with you on the foot note! But, you'll agree with me about the discrepancy about ABS not being standard, I am sure!!
Where is the statement about ABS not being standard? Even if they did, though it is a discrepancy, it plays no role in the crash tests and the results wont be different either.

Last edited by audioholic : 27th September 2018 at 17:15.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 17:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

This is shocking since Renault portray themselves making the safest cars in Europe!
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 17:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

The ABS not being standard came from here, this is where I read about this first, before looking it up in our Forum.

Quote:
The Renault Lodgy that was used in the crash test did not come with airbags nor did the MPV offer any kind of child safety systems like ISOFIX child seat anchorage. Sadly, Renault India does not even offer ABS (antilock braking system) as standard on the Lodgy, which further added to the MPV receiving a poor rating in the NCAP crash test. In addition to that, the Global NCAP has also rated the body shell of the Renault Lodgy as unstable.
Old 27th September 2018, 18:07   #8
BHPian

Yet another Renault-Nissan product for India gets zero stars. Do they use metal or plastic in their bodyshell?

Reminds me of the Datsun go which was so bad that it prompted G-NCAP to write a letter to Carlos Ghosn asking them to withdraw the product which was the first time they ever did that.

http://www.globalncap.org/global-nca...-of-datsun-go/

Renault Lodgy scores a zero in the Global NCAP tests-6112014_mr.jpg

They are taking this market a little too lightly and in my opinion should be punished for it. We have the highest road accident related deaths in the world. Need safe cars more than anywhere else. The worst part is that they have the audacity to do this 4 years after the Datsun Go result. Shameful. Maybe learn to make proper cars before expanding your alliance. Reflects very poorly on the manufacturer.
aaychat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 18:36   #9
BHPian

Sidenote :

I was checking the progress report till 2018 (Weblink)

I find it amusing that the same iteration (most probably) of Volkswagen Polo & Tata Zest has scored 4 stars with 2 airbags, and 0 stars with 0 airbags.
I cannot get my mind together regarding this. Is it possible to have the same car with such varying results?

Last edited by sharktale : 27th September 2018 at 18:57. Reason: semantics, added "Tata Zest"
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 18:42   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
I find it amusing that the same iteration (most probably) of Volkswagen Polo has scored 4 stars with 2 airbags, and 0 stars with 0 airbags.
Any car with no airbags are normally bound to get the Zero rating.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 19:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

As expected Renault respond to the Global NCAP tests on Lodgy and justifies its ratings in context to the local safety norms!

Quote:
All Renault products meet and exceed the regulations set by ARAI. Renault has taken great strides in vehicle safety. The company shares the goal of improving road safety worldwide, including the adoption of robust vehicle safety standards. Our products are ARAI certified, which is the current mandate in India. As India is gradually moving towards international safety and emission norms by including more robust regulations, Renault will be ready for the upcoming safety regulations and BS VI norms. The tests by Global NCAP are conducted at speeds that are higher than those prescribed by the regulatory authorities, not only in India but also in developed markets. The results of Global NCAP have to be seen in that perspective.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th September 2018 at 19:07.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 19:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
As expected Renault respond to the Global NCAP tests on Lodgy and justifies its ratings in context to the local safety norms!
Very disappointing score while I read your other thread where Brezza has scored 4. This justification also reflects so poor on the brand image of the company. Other manufacturers did not think this way especially our own TATA and "tin can manufacturer" MS.
blorebuddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 20:00   #13
BHPian

There is a difference in doing business for just making money, ethically making money and unethically making money. Let me elaborate

Just making money: designed a car from scratch per local norms
Ethically making money: Value of a European life is no better than a value of an Indian life. Design it good.
Unethically making money: the vehicle is in fact designed globally with airbags, let us remove them, who cares.

In fact we do care, it is important for an organisation to get updated with evolving customer expectations. There are lessons to learn from Maruti Suzuki, they too had been selling unsafe cars in the past but if you look at the recent launches you may notice ABS and airbags becoming usual.

The global model, Dacia Lodgy scored 3 stars in Euro NCAP which is considered to be one of the worst in 2012. Link

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 27th September 2018 at 20:13.
Thermodynamics is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 22:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
All Renault products meet and exceed the regulations set by ARAI. Renault has taken great strides in vehicle safety. The company shares the goal of improving road safety worldwide, including the adoption of robust vehicle safety standards. Our products are ARAI certified, which is the current mandate in India. As India is gradually moving towards international safety and emission norms by including more robust regulations, Renault will be ready for the upcoming safety regulations and BS VI norms. The tests by Global NCAP are conducted at speeds that are higher than those prescribed by the regulatory authorities, not only in India but also in developed markets. The results of Global NCAP have to be seen in that perspective.
Link
I'm saving Renault's reply as a perfect example of corporate weasel-speak.

Quote:
All Renault products meet and exceed the regulations set by ARAI.
If I'm not mistaken, we don't have crash test safety norms laid out by ARAI, do we? So they are adhering to something nonexistent.

Quote:
As India is gradually moving towards international safety and emission norms by including more robust regulations, Renault will be ready for the upcoming safety regulations and BS VI norms.
Wow. Reading this, on the same day I see the Brezza scoring 4 stars, I can only shake my head in awe at the audacity and arrogance of the author of this asinine answer (sorry, got a little carried away with the alliteration).

Maruti - the overwhelming market leader - isn't sitting on its laurels, but is proactively putting out BNVSAP-compliant models. They could easily coast on their brand name and non-tier 1 sales, but they chose not to. And in contrast, a manufacturer who's struggling to get a toehold in the market isn't using the opportunity to win hearts with better engineered cars (a la VAG), but is scrabbling after the bottom rupee with such substandard cars, and trotting out useless excuses. Again, to use the VAG example, remember how VW responded to the Polo scoring zero stars? They made airbags standard fitment. They didn't parade sorry excuses.
arunphilip is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 17:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I'm saving Renault's reply as a perfect example of corporate weasel-speak.

If I'm not mistaken, we don't have crash test safety norms laid out by ARAI, do we? So they are adhering to something nonexistent.

Wow. Reading this, on the same day I see the Brezza scoring 4 stars, I can only shake my head in awe at the audacity and arrogance of the author of this asinine answer (sorry, got a little carried away with the alliteration).

Maruti - the overwhelming market leader - isn't sitting on its laurels, but is proactively putting out BNVSAP-compliant models. They could easily coast on their brand name and non-tier 1 sales, but they chose not to. And in contrast, a manufacturer who's struggling to get a toehold in the market isn't using the opportunity to win hearts with better engineered cars (a la VAG), but is scrabbling after the bottom rupee with such substandard cars, and trotting out useless excuses. Again, to use the VAG example, remember how VW responded to the Polo scoring zero stars? They made airbags standard fitment. They didn't parade sorry excuses.
Agree with every point you make, sir.

Particularly, with respect to VAG updating the Polo. The company has been making poor decisions with their product strategy and hardly competing based on how capable their cars are. Even so, they had the brains to accept poor safety and remedy it immediately.

Renault's argument is a pathetic one. Their #1 competitors in the segment, Ertiga and Innova on either side of the price bracket both come with Airbags as standard if I am not wrong. I'm talking about upcoming Ertiga. The excuse about price sensitivity is a hollow one. The fact is, if they added airbags and marketed their cars as such, the competition would have to do so - it's doing so anyway - so any price advantage or disadvantage argument goes out of the window.

I use an example of my working career when we worked as a supplier of garage equipment to BMW India. They made their dealers install expensive European equipment in the workshop. I know this because I was installing these machines. They even insisted on the floor tiles and furniture being similar to EU spec. When a dealer discussed this in conversation in front of me with one of BMW's service team guys, the guy turned around and said "My customer in Sao Paulo or Tokyo does not know any different brand called BMW. Are Indian buyers paying less for the car? Should they get less?". End of discussion. I liked this attitude a lot - don't know if it is still continuing.

In summary - sad that money is the only deciding factor. Money motivations may get you instant joy but it will destroy the brand over time.
carmayogi is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks