Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2018, 21:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP

After viewing the video, it was apparent that base trim was tested as only base trim doesn't get adjustable headrests at front.
However, what surprised me was 1079 kg weight as tested. Now this wasn't the gross weight, as its 1315 kg. for petrol and 1405 kg. for diesel. But was it partially loaded ? Kerb weight for LXi trim in India is 855 kg. and diesel its 955 kg. Plus, the report says 4 channel ABS wasn't there on test car whereas Swift LXi/LDi in India get 4-channel ABS IIRC as its part of standard equipment. Or am I missing something ?

EDIT : IIRC, last generation Swift with two airbags scored 3/5 stars and 0/5 stars without airbags. New generation seems to have taken a step back.
Attached Thumbnails
New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP-swift-global-ncap.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th October 2018 at 21:16.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 21:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Previous generation Swift had scored 5 star (of course with additional airbags). This is disappointing.

That wasn't for a made for India swift. Last time Indian swift was tested, it scored a 0 because the base variant didn't have airbags. In fact even a Polo without airbags was awarded 0. But even with airbags is the swift is scoring a 2, it definitely means that the car isn't structurally stable.

This is a first for Indian cars (tested in GNCAP)where a car has got just 2 stars even with 2 airbags. Shocking!
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 21:26   #18
BHPian

Disappointing to say the least. The 'leader' does not lead the way when it comes to safety, isn't it?

So, Swift,Dzire,Baleno & Ignis are all structurally unstable as they are all based on the Heartec platform?

When a TATA Zest which is based on an old 10 year Vista platform can get 4 stars why can't Maruti get at least 4 stars on a modern 'Heartec' platform?

Kitna deta hai seems to be the priority for Maruti.

Last edited by searacer932 : 8th October 2018 at 21:28.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 22:00   #19
BHPian

A few excerpts from TBHP's Swift review :-
Quote:
As expected, the low weight is reflected in the build of the car. The doors, bonnet and boot are very light, but there is just a bit of flex when the sheet metal is pressed with your thumb
Quote:
Considering the light weight nature of the car, I'd have expected a ribbed roof for additional rigidity:
Quote:
The front doors open and shut in a triple-stage action. You immediately realise how light they are - a reminder of how less the Swift weighs. There is certainly no "European thud" when you shut the doors.
Thus:-
1) We already knew the light build of this car.
2) We already knew that the maximum number of Airbags in the Indian Swift was TWO.

Considering this, why are we disappointed / angry / sad / aghast at the test results? It was implied in the review itself. Were we expecting something else?

Quote:
While the India-spec car has not been crash tested by NCAP or other independent bodies, Maruti claims that it is compliant for upcoming Indian pedestrian safety, side-impact and offset crash regulations ahead of the set timeline
Wonder what these are, if at all they are there.
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 22:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Shocking.

Learn something from TATA, Maruti !

The TATA Zest scored an impressive 4 star rating in the Global NCAP.

With the Maruti Brezza coming good with 4 stars, i wasn't exactly expecting Swift to do so poorly.

With the Swift scoring 2 stars, it implicitly means that DZire would score similar too.

Which reveals a sad truth about Indian car scene. Majority of sales in India today are coming from un-safe and un-roadworthy cars presently.

Last edited by DCEite : 8th October 2018 at 22:36.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 22:43   #21
BANNED

I think that it is not fair to criticize the company or the car. I suppose any company, which can sell half a lakh tin cans with two airbags each every month, would do so gleefully...or won't they ?
A cheap and fairly reliable runabout, the Swift is ; but a car with structural solidity, it appears not to be !
Certain manufacturers who produce cars for a discerning international market including their own, are unable to keep costs and the weight down in the way that MS has successfully done at the cost of build strength. Sadly for them, the Indian customers, in huge numbers, give MS the thumbs up.
If a minimum safety standard was to be mandatory, the field would level out somewhat !
Old 8th October 2018, 23:17   #22
BHPian

Just when I started thinking that Maruti indeed has turned a corner with regards to the quality of its car shell, this news brings the confidence in the brand crashing down (no pun intended).

Considering this is a major seller in India, it’s absolutely unacceptable. Pushing more and more people towards a near death experience every month! Maruti already has hefty profitability. Why can’t they provide quality when it comes to safety at least?

BUT, this won’t change. Because we have presented Maruti with the lion’s share of our market. And that doesn’t seem like changing anytime soon.
Old 8th October 2018, 23:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

It is the Indian version. No doubt about it.

Quote:
David Ward, Global NCAP Secretary General said:
“The latest version of the Swift sold in India has improved and it is good to see dual airbags as standard. This confirms the beneficial effect of the Indian Government’s new crash test regulations. But the performance of the Swift sold in Europe and Japan shows that a better safety performance is still possible so Global NCAP would like to see Maruti Suzuki aim higher.”
I dread to think the amount our crash standards are diluted compared to global standards if this car (which MSIL claims to be ready for testing) scored just 2 stars and has an unstable body shell incapable of further loading.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 23:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
A few excerpts from TBHP's Swift review :-

Thus:-
1) We already knew the light build of this car.
2) We already knew that the maximum number of Airbags in the Indian Swift was TWO.

Considering this, why are we disappointed / angry / sad / aghast at the test results? It was implied in the review itself. Were we expecting something else?
We were hoping against hope that Maruti will learn from Toyota on how to make 4 star-rated tin cans like Liva 😀
This will happen only if we, the people, start demanding more safety features like our European friends.
Old 8th October 2018, 23:41   #25
BHPian

The Brezza is based on the global Vitara platform and hence the 4 stars. The Swift is based on the Heartect platform and it scored 3 stars in Euro NCAP without the optional safety pack. Add some Indianisation and the 2 stars isn't really surprising IMO. Not to forget, this new Swift is upto 110 kilos lighter than the prev gen. That's quite an achievement for weight reduction!
BigBrad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 00:07   #26

In Indian market brand value is more important than quality ( read safety for automobile). This is true for any product you take. As an example I was forced to admit my daughter to an international school which charges a hefty premium for conceived quality education, where as the school I have short listed provided the same and more at relatively lower premium but was a local school which follows the requirement of the parents. I think the GNCAP results are not going to change the brand value for swift for Indian consumer. Sad but true...
KiranGS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 00:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
That line about the same car sold in Europe/Japan doing better at safety tests is just wonderful mockery. India is such an important market for Suzuki and their safety track record is just plain awful.
You sir, have hit the nail perfectly on the head!! What Maruti Suzuki does to India and Indians is nothing short of mockery. I have said this before and will say this again, despite the faith shown on Maruti Suzuki by Indians, the company has shown more often than not that it cares two hoot about giving it's single largest market the due it deserves!!

This can be seen from the stickered models they pass on as sport or RS or what not, however the fact that European swift scores better than the Indian one is not something that can be justified.

Sample this, from the same factory goes two different products, one having a better quality and safety credentials and one having inferior quality and safety. One would be tempted to believe that the better product goes to their more important market, but Alas the company is Maruti and the market is India.
Old 9th October 2018, 07:59   #28
BHPian

Have to say, not totally unexpected.
Since the release of the Baleno, I have personally felt that cars based on the Suzuki next gen global architecture (Baleno & Swift) are very light, to the point of feeling flimsy.
Even the sheet metal on the new cars felt tinny.

Pleasantly surprised to see Tata cars topping the safety charts.
Maybe I should consider them for our next purchase.
Old 9th October 2018, 08:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

New Maruti Swift gets 2-star Global NCAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
I think that it is not fair to criticize the company or the car. I suppose any company, which can sell half a lakh tin cans with two airbags each every month, would do so gleefully...or won't they ?
They should put a large sticker on their car educating the customer of the crash worthy or should I say unworthy and then sell them. :

Wonder how many customers of the 20k/pm tin cans that this copy sells would actually disregard the sticker with either a 0* or 2* rating and still go ahead and buy the car?

Time for the government to act and have the crash test stickers mandatory on all the cars. When we can get star rated power consumption stickers on all the home appliances, why not cars?

Maruti, with the kind of trust and market share it enjoys in India should be setting a safety precedence. After all "India wants to come home in a Maruti."

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 9th October 2018 at 08:32.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 08:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

In a free market, customers vote with their wallets. If extra kmpl matter more to the customers than extra safety, so be it. Morally wrong perhaps but that should be taken care by regulation which by itself is laughable.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed