Team-BHP - New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/202559-new-maruti-swift-gets-just-2-stars-global-ncap-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 4475246)
This picture from several years ago formed my original opinion on Maruti's approach to even basic structural safety - forget alphabet soup gizmos for a while - and it's sad and infuriating in equal measure that nothing seems to have really changed, rhetoric aside.

The first car is a Swift, the second a Linea. Make up your own minds.

Attachment 1806252

I had posted this image in the Accidents thread and rightly so this is relevant here too. Had snapped this Linea at a FNG when I went there for minor repairs and what is more shocking is the fact that both of these cars (Swift/Dzire and Punto/Linea) were sold in the similar price bracket then. How irrelevant should Indian lives be for Maruti Suzuki to commit this kind of a suicidal move on their cars?

For them, ahh neither does the customers care, nor does the Govt. why should we bother? Let them buy light cars, brag about power, fuel efficiency and resale but also kill themselves in the process. Who cares!? Remember this swift also had the worst brakes in that segment. My Linea shares garages with much more expensive ones and the brakes on the Fiat is excellent. So it is not about cost or anything, it's about unethical profit making. What's even worse, after seeing the structure beneath these cars whenever someone signs a cheque for Maruti Suzuki I have educated them on the same but it takes a lot of effort to change their mind.

With Brezza scoring 4* I thought may be times are changing. It's not like Maruti Suzuki doesn't know to make safer cars. It is a choice, and they are still sticking to profits over safety of their customers. I still remember the first TD of the Baleno.:OT Now I don't know how safe or unsafe that car is but it felt very flimsy to me. The Nexa guys came in all dressed up and overconfident about the car, but with just 6k on the odo it was making all sorts of noises from releasing the clutch to rear suspensions. After the TD, while closing the door I felt that this car was daylight robbery. Yes there were few positives but quality felt terrible! So I started questioning the SA in detail and he was arguing it's a TD car that is the reason etc.. So I explained my experiences with a few European TD cars and finally he says: "Sir, you can't compare this car to Fiats/Skodas, they have solid engineering & build but poor aftersales and resale. If that's what you are looking for please look at the S-cross."

Simply put, this is something we ourselves have caused(see how Fiat brand is packing up their bags/sales of the S-cross). And the onus too is on us to change it. If we show enough sense to pull down swift from that top sales chart, Maruti will learn. But they know it's never gonna happen. & so good luck with our lives.:deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1m (Post 4475451)
Woah! That's scary!

Any more details? Any idea about the speeds involved?

As per my colleague, he was tailgating Q3 at around 70kmph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT (Post 4475474)
I had posted this image in the Accidents thread...

You'll have to excuse me for posting it without due credit to you. I'd saved a copy when you first posted it to the Accidents Thread, and used it today but couldn't trace it back to you.

I've requested Mods to credit the picture in my post if possible & appropriate.

Pardon me for the off-topic post.

Below is the picture of front lower cross-member of the Wagon R. Seems better than Swift? I am still skeptical of it's role in the overall strength of the vehicle in a crash.

Pardon me for the poor image quality, pic was taken at a service center last year.

New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP-img_20170701_190323851.jpg

I don’t think this rating will in any way affect Maruti (or should I aptly say Suzuki). It could be the best seller in the coming months too. Here in team-bhp ‘educated enthusiasts forum’ too we would be watching members buying the same car by stating excuses ‘while accessing the 40k price difference (you should know where they have cut the cost), peace of mind (how when the car is unsafe), low service costs etc. When it comes to spending money each and every one of us think with an Indian point of view ie. VFM. But mostly this VFM inclines more to cheap quality at a cheap price rather than better quality at cheap price. So Maruti remains and will remain the king in Indian market, the low safety ratings not withstanding.

The 'solid' heartect platform would mean this rating also affects the DZire, and the NEXA 'premium' Baleno - unless otherwise proven by NCAP ratings.

Now that Swift has been tested and the results have been poor, I am waiting with my fingers crossed for the test results of Dzire. I own one. Has the new S-cross been tested too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitjha086 (Post 4477553)
Now that Swift has been tested and the results have been poor, I am waiting with my fingers crossed for the test results of Dzire. I own one. Has the new S-cross been tested too?

Dzire, is a made for India car, and is not sold in Europe or any other international markets. Hence this will not be tested for crash worthiness by either GNCAP or ENCAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy (Post 4477588)
Dzire, is a made for India car, and is not sold in Europe or any other international markets. Hence this will not be tested for crash worthiness by either GNCAP or ENCAP.

Thank you for information. I can now drive peacefully in assumption that it should be a safe car. I can't exactly recall who tested Brezza but I hoped the same would crash test dzire as both are sub-four meter India specific cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitjha086 (Post 4477642)
Thank you for information. I can now drive peacefully in assumption that it should be a safe car. I can't exactly recall who tested Brezza but I hoped the same would crash test dzire as both are sub-four meter India specific cars.

The Brezza is sold outside India too. Hence the spec should be far better than the Dzire.

Hate to say this, but not crash testing a car does not make it safe. On this thread we are talking of the European spec of the swift, the Indian spec will turn out worse, considering the difference in weight and other parameters. There is no reason to believe the Dzire would turn out any better. Now that you have bought the car drive safe and enjoy it. Do your due diligence before buying and not after.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy (Post 4477647)
The Brezza is sold outside India too. Hence the spec should be far better than the Dzire.

Hate to say this, but not crash testing a car does not make it safe. On this thread we are talking of the European spec of the swift, the Indian spec will turn out worse, considering the difference in weight and other parameters. There is no reason to believe the Dzire would turn out any better. Now that you have bought the car drive safe and enjoy it. Do your due diligence before buying and not after.

True. Yet, a five star rating would be some sort of reassurance. I assumed with each facelift, MS would improvise it's products. Didn't hold true for new Swift. By the way, I bought and drive dzire in Nepal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy (Post 4477588)

I think GNCAP is testing made in India cars relevant to Indian market under their Safer Cars For India campaign. So, there is a chance that the Dzire could be tested by them. Although, it would be a surprise if the results are any different from that of the Swift.

Quote:

Its performance would be mostly same as the base car "Swift in Dzire case". Infact given the added weight and the added impact recoil it might be marginally worse.

Quote:

Dear,

The Swift tested by GNCAP is the Indian Swift only. And as DZire based on Indian Swift, there is no real need to test it separately as the safety aspect is exactly same. Addition of boot will not impact safety rating in my view.

So it would be ok to assume that DZire is 2 Star too.

However that does not mean that you should start panicking. Just treat it as a purely city car, don't take it to highways, and most importantly, buckle up the seat belts and drive safe. Doesn't matter you are DZire or Swift - its applicable for any car - be it with 5 star rating or a 0 rating car.

I didn't consider adding one more swift to our garage thanks to weight difference between heartattack, oops I meant heartect :D platform's weight difference compared to the 2nd Gen.

I have a feeling that S-cross might do as well as Brezza since it is also based on an international platform, but hey, we can only speculated until they actually test it!

Not sure why, but very few Hyundai cars have been tested so far! would love to see their results as they have build quality better than Japanese but not as good as European players.