Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2018, 09:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP

Oh! This is really bad! Just when you thought Maruti turned a corner, this happens. So, the rating for Brezza was an exception than the norm! The fact that Brezza is based on Suzuki' global C-platform like the S-Cross saved it.

Based of this evidence, the lighter HEARTECT platform isn't capable enough when it comes to safety in our market. Its double standards! Points a finger on all cars based on this new platform like Baleno, Ignis, Dzire, new Ertiga etc. This being the latest Maruti, built to take on the upcoming crash norms in 2019 casts a doubt on the effectiveness of those norms even.

And what to make of this statement now? 9 Maruti Suzuki models meet new crash test norms

We as consumers really deserve better! Especially when we pay through the nose for these weaklings. Shame on you Maruti!

#SaferCarsForIndia
deetjohn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 10:11   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP

Deeply saddened by the news & shame on Maruti for behaving so cheaply, despite having market leadership, amazing profits & an excellent share price (until the recent crash).

It's a fine line between ethics / morals & the bottom line. Most companies are inclined toward the latter, but a few heroes find the right balance. Disappointed to say that Maruti still doesn't care about the safety of its customers....after being the no.1 car maker in India for 30+ years.

The only way to ensure safe cars in India is legislation. I hope the government's crash test norms are STRICT . One simply cannot give a free hand to manufacturers in an area as critical as safety.

Thanks to Subin Philip for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page! He says "Please see the attached image. I think it's time to sue Maruti for false advertising".

New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP-screenshot_20181008200207965_com.android.chrome.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
I thought the times have changed after the Brezza achieved 4-stars
The Vitara Brezza is based on a global / premium platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Considering this, why are we disappointed / angry / sad / aghast at the test results?
Because our lives are worth it. Because brands like Toyota & Tata have pleasantly surprised us from time to time.

If I owned a Swift, I'd use it only in the city. Highway = another car (beg, borrow or rent).

Last edited by GTO : 9th October 2018 at 10:13.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 10:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The Vitara Brezza is based on a global / premium platform.
I thought even Swift was built as a global product. Any idea if there are structural differences between the car sold here and the ones built for export?
I was surprised to know that the Swift and even the bigger Baleno weigh just over 800 KG, which was how much my old Matiz weighed. I can understand that the engineering has resulted in better strength to weight ratio but they still come across as too light (unless they are built on modern, light weight materials)
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 10:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I thought even Swift was built as a global product. Any idea if there are structural differences between the car sold here and the ones built for export?
I was surprised to know that the Swift and even the bigger Baleno weigh just over 800 KG, which was how much my old Matiz weighed. I can understand that the engineering has resulted in better strength to weight ratio but they still come across as too light (unless they are built on modern, light weight materials)
Even the European sold Swift is rated 3 stars on NCAP. Thats too low for car being sold today that is.
https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/suzuki/swift/26927

I would never put my family in a new age Maruti. Too light too flimsy.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 10:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Considering this, why are we disappointed / angry / sad / aghast at the test results? It was implied in the review itself. Were we expecting something else?
I guess the shock/disappointment is mainly, not due to the 2 star rating, but with the body shell deemed "unstable" which will have far more consequences.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 13:20   #36
Team-BHP Support

This picture from several years ago formed my original opinion on Maruti's approach to even basic structural safety - forget alphabet soup gizmos for a while - and it's sad and infuriating in equal measure that nothing seems to have really changed, rhetoric aside.

The first car is a Swift, the second a Linea. Make up your own minds.

New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP-crash-beams-ms-vs-fiat.jpg

EDIT: As posted earlier by BHPian SUPERSPORT -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4320722

Last edited by aah78 : 9th October 2018 at 20:50. Reason: Linked to original post.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 13:48   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
This picture from several years ago formed my original opinion on Maruti's approach to even basic structural safety - forget alphabet soup gizmos for a while - and it's sad and infuriating in equal measure that nothing seems to have really changed, rhetoric aside.

Attachment 1806252
That crash "bar" is a joke. I've seen my spark having a thicker and stronger crash bar in the front. Are you sure this is the factory spec, not a repair job?
Old 9th October 2018, 14:36   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
That crash "bar" is a joke. I've seen my spark having a thicker and stronger crash bar in the front. Are you sure this is the factory spec, not a repair job?
Some more pics sourced from this post. Notice the missing shock absorbing bits.

Euro-spec Swift:
New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP-euro.jpg

Side Angle:
New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP-side.jpg

Indian-spec Swift:
New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP-india.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th October 2018 at 14:48.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Euro-spec Swift:
Attachment 1806267

Side Angle:
Attachment 1806269

Indian-spec Swift:
Attachment 1806268

That is just S.H.O.C.K.I.N.G !

What a shame that Maruti Suzuki treats its own citizens as second class and lesser humans, with those appalling cost cutting measures in basic safety aspects.

Unless there is a mass movement against Maruti Suzuki by the aam-aadmi, in the form of protests or even some online petitions, nothing is going to change much for that organization. They are, unfortunately only concerned about their profit margins it seems.

Most importantly - there needs to be strict guidelines by the government on the minimum level of safety structure and features required in a car. Much like IIT grants earthquake resistant certifications to property developments.
Old 9th October 2018, 15:05   #40
BHPian

Quote:

Euro-spec Swift:
Attachment 1806267

Side Angle:
Attachment 1806269

Indian-spec Swift:
Attachment 1806268
Purpose of horizontal bars in front is to collapse engine in case of accident. Impact on front bars, expands the gap between two longitude engine support (cum crumple zone) which helps in engine collapse instead of engine protruding in the cabin.

I think above image does not indicate the point of compromise in safety build. What matters is the crumple zone and cabin cocoon build quality and safety reinforcements in these areas.
Old 9th October 2018, 15:06   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1806252
One comparison between the sales numbers of the two would be enough for the manufacturers to decide which route they should take in India.

I don't think Punto + Linea, all through their lives sold as much as Swift + Dzire did last month.

Last edited by theredliner : 9th October 2018 at 15:10.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:15   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I think above image does not indicate the point of compromise in safety build. What matters is the crumple zone and cabin cocoon build quality and safety reinforcements in these areas.
One, that image is representative. I don't have actual structural data from Maruti Suzuki but I'm pretty sure the compromises don't end there if the NCAP tests and summary are any indication.

Two, the front crumple zone isn't just to protect the car and its occupants. It also plays a significant role in external impacts, and I wouldn't want to be involved in an impact with a car that only has a few millimeters of plastic and a few centimeters of air before I hit metal/engine components, either as a pedestrian, or in another vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
One comparison between the sales numbers of the two would be enough for the manufacturers to decide which route they should take in India.

I don't think Punto + Linea, all through their lives sold as much as Swift + Dzire did last month.
Precisely why I call Maruti Suzuki our market sales leader. I can't influence purchase decisions, but I don't have to subscribe to an 'ends justify means' viewpoint either. Plenty that's wrong is also wildly popular, doesn't make it right.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th October 2018 at 15:22.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:19   #43
Team-BHP Support

A market leader can set high quality standards, which the followers will then try to emulate and reach that level. But in Suzuki we have a market leader who does just the opposite – they set the possible low standards in safety (because there are no regulations / minimum standards) for others to follow. I can understand if a Datsun Go is skinny on safety, but a Suzuki Swift?

They say, “India Comes Home in a Maruti Suzuki”. With this kind of safety standards on their best sellers, it should probably read “India Hopes to Reach Home in a Maruti Suzuki”
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:53   #44
BHPian

Few days back, one of my colleague's swift met with an accident. Maruti Omni, Audi Q3 & Swift were involved in this. Omni was hit by Q3, Q3 was hit by Swift. We were shocked to see the condition of swift while Audi's backside was almost unhurt. Seriously swift build quality is a matter of concern. Luckily my colleague was unhurt because of airbags.

New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP-img_20181009_145554.jpg

New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP-img20180918wa0024.jpg

New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP-img_20181009_150054.jpg

New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP-img_20181009_145527.jpg

New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP-img20180918wa0028.jpg
KING DYSP is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 16:46   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DYSP View Post
Few days back, one of my colleague's swift met with an accident. Maruti Omni, Audi Q3 & Swift were involved in this. Omni was hit by Q3, Q3 was hit by Swift.
Woah! That's scary!

Any more details? Any idea about the speeds involved?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks