Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2018, 00:28   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market)

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
We have i20 from 2010 when it used to carry 5 star safety sticker.
I have travelled in my friend’s facelified i20 of 2013 make extensively.
Undoubtedly, the 2010 make has better build and door closes with subtle thud
I had a similar feeling after driving both the generations.
Though this (weight comparison) is not the right data to debate on built quality, I always felt the newer generations were compromised somehow
Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market)-i20.jpg

Quote:
P:S
Hyundai(and likewise manufacturers)
Please note,
Safety is not a feature, it’s a necessity of A to Z segment.

Say this,
say this loud,
not to the manufacturer but to the market.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:28   #17
BHPian

re: Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market)

Very sad that this is the state of affairs when it comes to milking money from Indian consumers.
Other manufacturers who supposedly have good ratings are drawing up plans for made for Indian market only (read VW).

I am not sure how much of a compromise they will make. Moreover, Toyota is joining hands with Suzuki - who will rub off to whom is to be seen.

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2018 at 10:51. Reason: Poorly typed post
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 3rd November 2018, 13:42   #18
BHPian

Buy cars for safety and comfort. When cars are bought for resale value and mileage stemmed out of pseudo-hubris of the past (leading to MS, Honda and Hyundai to be over-hyped), these manufacturers wouldn't bother to give a bit more; rather they will cut corners to earn more and capitalize on the situation. We can't blame the manufacturers. Like Mr.Boss has rightly pointed out, the market should take notice now and start ignoring such low quality high-priced products. But, that's not going to happen anytime soon. Until then, these manufacturers are the winners.
Old 3rd November 2018, 17:14   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

More on the GNCAP tests,

Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market)-3.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 18:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We have i20 from 2010 when it used to carry 5 star safety sticker.
I have travelled in my friend’s facelified i20 of 2013 make extensively.
Undoubtedly, the 2010 make has better build and door closes with subtle thud.
Also, Hyundai had more target for exports
(over domestic) when launched but it was received well from domestic market.

As they tasted success with their products, they went on to delete several of the features ( like all disc brakes from i20 )

Their cost cutting especially on structure with lack of safety regulations translates to profits.

P:S
Hyundai(and likewise manufacturers)
Please note,
Safety is not a feature, it’s a necessity of A to Z segment.

P:P:S
Irony: it’s called ‘elite’ in India with little safety and just i20 in Europe with full. . . .

Even we have a 2010 i20 and we have held on to it. The car was built for European markets and hence had a solid build. The car tips the scale at a solid 1225 KG for the ASTA variant and had the best brakes with all round discs. Currently the odo stands @ 1,20,000 kms and it performance is almost flawless.

No other car currently under the 10 Lakh rupees in the current market options can replace the all round package of the early i20 in terms of space and power(The CRDI variant). We will use the car as long as it serves us well. We maintain it well too!
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 19:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

What is also worrying is that the Yaris (hatchback, but otherwise similar to what we get) also scored only three stars. It was reported to have an unstable body structure too.

Thoroughly disappointing.

One thing is for sure. Our Polo isn't going to get replaced till there's a five star car in India under the 10 lakh mark.
Old 3rd November 2018, 19:54   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
What is also worrying is that the Yaris (hatchback, but otherwise similar to what we get) also scored only three stars. It was reported to have an unstable body structure too.

Thoroughly disappointing.
Made in Thailand. Hatchback. Sold in Africa. Overall, we can only guess. Whereas the Elite i20 is atleast an export from the Indian plant.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 11:44   #23
BHPian

That is an absolute shocker. My parents survived a horrific accident in Igen i20. We opted again for elite i20 only because of the 'perceived' better build quality as compared to equivalent options from Maruti.

High time government makes it mandatory for car manufacturers to publish the crash test ratings in brochures/advertisements.
Old 4th November 2018, 17:02   #24
BHPian

Hyundai's i20 Secures 3 stars in NCAP tests ( South African Market)

Guys following points come to my mind wrt the global NCAP rating for i20:
1) This was tested as a safer cars for Africa campaign.
2) African safety/crash norms seem to be more stringent. This can mean that the same car (i20) can score a 4 when tested in the Safer cars for India campaign. Why? Read the next point.
3) Case in point : Polo that scored a 4 by GNCAP for the Safer cars made for India campaign scored a 4 in 2014. The same car scored a 3 under the Safer cars for Africa campaign in 2017. The most striking point is that the Indian version was devoid of a 4 channel ABS while the African version had it, still the difference in score. But the body shell was deemed stable in both the cases.
4) This time the made for Africa i20 scored a 3. That's not a bad rating/thing per se but the body shell deemed 'unstable' is.

Last edited by Waspune : 4th November 2018 at 17:03.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 21:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai's i20 Secures 3 stars in NCAP tests ( South African Market)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
3) Case in point : Polo that scored a 4 by GNCAP for the Safer cars made for India campaign scored a 4 in 2014. The same car scored a 3 under the Safer cars for Africa campaign in 2017. The most striking point is that the Indian version was devoid of a 4 channel ABS while the African version had it, still the difference in score. But the body shell was deemed stable in both the cases.
The African model is the Polo Vivo and is a different car from the Polo sold here. It is, in fact, one generation older as far as I can tell. The standards appear to be the same since cars like the Liva scored the same result in both tests.

http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...VWPoloVivo.pdf

So, all in all, the i20 certainly does not outscore the four star cars of India.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 23:28   #26
BHPian

Hyundai's i20 secures 3 stars in NCAP tests (South African market)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The African model is the Polo Vivo and is a different car from the Polo sold here. It is, in fact, one generation older as far as I can tell.

What makes you say it is a different car?
https://www.vw.co.za/en/models/polo-...28625243136436

Please go through this and let me know how is it different? The Polo we have is already 10 years old!

If you want to go through a detailed review - https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/volkswagen-polo-vivo-14-comfortline-2018-review/44685/

Last edited by Waspune : 4th November 2018 at 23:30.
Old 5th November 2018, 07:27   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai's i20 Secures 3 stars in NCAP tests ( South African Market)

Quote:
G--
2) African safety/crash norms seem to be more stringent. This can mean that the same car (i20) can score a 4 when tested in the Safer cars for India campaign--
--
Not Correct.

The tests for #safecarsforIndia and #safecarsforAfrica have been tested to the same standards ( see post 19)
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 12:49   #28
BHPian

Re: Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market)

Hyundai must be ashamed of this considering the 'premium' image it is trying to impart. At 10 lakhs this car is no cheap! Wondering what its made-to-be-sold-in-India sold are worthy in terms of safety.

Last edited by kpkeerthi : 5th November 2018 at 12:52.
Old 5th November 2018, 19:53   #29
BHPian

Re: Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Not Correct.

The tests for #safecarsforIndia and #safecarsforAfrica have been tested to the same standards ( see post 19)
But how can we be sure if the cars sold in India is the same that is tested. I know that Chennai plant exports cars to Africa but you never know if they use the same spec items in the production for both countries.
redcruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 20:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai's i20 secures 3 stars in NCAP tests (South African market)

Quote:
What makes you say it is a different car?
https://www.vw.co.za/en/models/polo-...28625243136436
The reviews you have posted are not the same car as tested by NCAP. Look at the video if you wish on the NCAP page or more closely at the image on the link or this news report - https://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Guid...ested-20171122.

They are of the 2002 gen Polo.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 5th November 2018 at 20:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks