Team-BHP - Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/203361-made-india-hyundai-i20-scores-3-stars-ncap-test-south-african-market.html)

For South African Market, Hyundai's i20 ( Made in India) -secures 3 stars in AOP- NCAP tests.

Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market)-00.jpg

Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market)-2.jpg

Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market)-1.jpg

Quote:

The i20 achieved a three star rating for adult occupant protection in the frontal crash test at 64km/h. The vehicle structure was rated as unstable as well as the footwell area. The protection levels ranged from marginal to good in adult occupant protection. The car offers seatbelt pretensioners for both front passengers and seatbelt reminder for the driver. Using the child seats recommended by Hyundai, the i20 achieved a two star rating for child occupant protection explained by the limited protection offered to the 3 year old dummy and lack of ISOFIX anchorages. The i20 structure is different to that of the European model. Safety equipment in South Africa does not offer Electronic Stability Control (ESC), side body airbags and side curtain airbags which are standard in Europe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ORW...ature=youtu.be

Not a great show by Hyundai. i20 again is no cheap car. A car with such a premium pricing should have cleared the NCAP with flying colours but sadly not again. Worse still, body structure rated as 'unstable'.

And Hyundai has been flaunting the 5-star safety sticker on their i20s long before (probably a carryover from the European model rating). Nothing new, but shows the priority of manufacturers here in India. I wouldn't blame the buyers at all in this case considering that i20 is not an entry level/ inexpensive car. It is an expensive car and buyers would have expected better numbers from the NCAP.

Sadly again, not the case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4489118)
Not a great show by Hyundai. i20 again is no cheap car. A car with such a premium pricing should have cleared the NCAP with flying colours but sadly not again. Worse still, body structure rated as 'unstable'.

And Hyundai has been flaunting the 5-star safety sticker on their i20s long before.

The previous version was made in India for exports to the European markets. It had 5 star tested safety there, and they flaunted the same for India as well.

With the new version, exports to Europe were discontinued in 2014. The new model was 'Indianized' and was also exported to developing markets like Africa. I remember saying back in 2014 when this news came out, that this won't be good news afterall! Now we have proof, NCAP states -

Quote:

The i20 structure is different to that of the European model.
Won't be surprised if the Indian Elite i20 is a 3-star car afterall! :Frustrati

Is this the same i20 that we get in India as well? If yes, its really unfair that everyone has been so harsh on the Baleno all this while for being flimsy/unsafe. Both the market leaders competing with each other not just for numbers in sales, but in terms of crash ratings as well :uncontrol

The structure too is rated 'unstable' , which essentially means even the 6 airbag variant wont make a difference to the safety rating. So just like maruti, Hyundai too follows different set of standards for developing and developed markets :Frustrati

So, this means so far only Etios and polo have managed 4 Star ratings in B2 segment.

We should have a separate section of #SaferCarsForIndia campaign. Where we should be able to find all crash tests of indian spec vehicles. Just like our Car review section. I believe more and more indian spec cars will be crash tested in future. A separate section would be helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgps (Post 4489148)

We should have a separate section of #SaferCarsForIndia campaign.

I would suggest that the official reviews be updated with the results of the crash test. 1000s of people, members & non-members, included look into the official review section and if Team-BHP is serious about safety then the official review section should be updated with the outcome of the crash test result. We should have a separate section in the official review for the safety aspect.

Coming to the topic, this is quite sad by Hyundai. Looks like both Hyndai and Maruti are competing with each other to determine who is worst when it comes to safety.

If the other Indian car manufacturers had the liberty of pricing their cars at such premium, I believe they would score/ would have scored a better rating for sure. Disappointing for sure.

While the i20's 3 star rating is better than what the Swift could manage, the huge structural differences from the Euro version are disappointing.

The i20 is not a cheap car, it is marketed as a 'premium' hatchback. Guess for Hyundai, premium means giving rear AC vents instead of a crashworthy structure. Since this is the made in India version for SA, it is safe to assume that the Indian market version will be similar (if not worse, hopefully).

Seeing the i20's results, I don't have high hopes from any car below 10 lakh rupees.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron:) (Post 4489267)
While the i20's 3 star rating is better than what the Swift could manage, the huge structural differences from the Euro version are disappointing.

Seeing the i20's results, I don't have high hopes from any car below 10 lakh rupees.

Quote:

We should have a separate section of #SaferCarsForIndia campaign.

To be politically correct - This is not for India, but for the African market as part of #SaferCarsForAfrica campaign, although the car is made in India and exported.

Quote:

We should have a separate section of #SaferCarsForIndia campaign. Where we should be able to find all crash tests of indian spec vehicles.

It is already there - #SaferCarsForIndia campaign,

Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market)-sca.jpg

Yikes! This has come as a rude surprise to me. I know folks who skipped the peppy Baleno for the i20 petrol only for the safety it offered. At that time I wholeheartedly supported their decision.

I remember reading a few months after launch that Hyundai Australia couldn't import the Indian made i20 as it required a significant amount of modifications.
This is no surprise to me.

I hope the Indian BNVSAP crash test speed is not 56kmph instead of 64kmph. I remember SIAM lobbying for a lower crash test speed.

A facepalm moment, I don't even recall the number of times the elite i20 was justified in its segment for being a premium, well built, supposedly safe car im the world out there, but sigh.

Unstable bodyshell was totally unexpected. Have to go over the entire report at leisure.

We have i20 from 2010 when it used to carry 5 star safety sticker.
I have travelled in my friend’s facelified i20 of 2013 make extensively.
Undoubtedly, the 2010 make has better build and door closes with subtle thud.
Also, Hyundai had more target for exports
(over domestic) when launched but it was received well from domestic market.

As they tasted success with their products, they went on to delete several of the features ( like all disc brakes from i20 )

Their cost cutting especially on structure with lack of safety regulations translates to profits.

P:S
Hyundai(and likewise manufacturers)
Please note,
Safety is not a feature, it’s a necessity of A to Z segment.

P:P:S
Irony: it’s called ‘elite’ in India with little safety and just i20 in Europe with full. . . . :D