Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2021, 08:29   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I wish we knew what was changed structurally vs the earlier model to get it the 5 star rating. Has to be something significant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
...the most probable scenario of the current 5-star Nexon, that is, it had its knee modifiers removed following a sled test which increased its score
Global NCAP Secretary General and former Technical Director Alejandro Furas confirms that no changes were made to the car (I assume except the passenger-side seatbelt reminder) and the knee modifiers were removed by mapping.

Quote:
Nexon KM modifiers were removed after knee mapping was performed (please read protocols for more details)

No changes or updates were applied to the vehicle
Source: Email communication

Last edited by ron178 : 20th September 2021 at 08:31.
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 17:32   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Genuine query:

Is there a reason why TATA is no longer advertising the 5 star GNCAP rating on the Nexon?
Interestingly, they are advertising the rating in Bhutan! (They just launched their model range there).
Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car-screenshot-20220122-5.21.58-pm.png

I'm really glad they're now taking the NCAP message to other markets too, but at the risk of sounding too critical of Tata (I have been complaining far too much about their misuse of ratings), they shouldn't be advertising the rating outside the Indian market. My gut feeling is that they wouldn't have made changes, the volumes are probably too low to justify designing a cheaper version, however, officially, the rating is valid only for the Indian market.

But, eh, Bhutan is part of the Indian subcontinent, I guess, so I'll let it slide. But it still seems a little irresponsible. Plus, other manufacturers who might want to compete on NCAP ratings might not have the opportunity to participate voluntarily because the car might not be sold in India!

They're also advertising the Tiago's rating.
Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car-screenshot-20220122-5.22.23-pm.png
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 19:26   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
I have a hypothesis about how capping limits work, but I can't be certain about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
the score should not only be 0.000 for the corresponding red region but should also be 0.00 for the entire test. We've seen this with more recent zero-star cars like the S-Presso (red passenger neck). However, the Volkswagen Polo without airbags, the first-generation Ford Figo without airbags and the Maruti Eeco have non-0.00 scores despite having a red head, neck and/or chest. Sure, the final score is zero stars which is probably the application of capping limits.
Well, guess what:
Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car-screenshot-20220307-7.11.49-pm.png
Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car-screenshot-20220307-7.13.10-pm.png
To be fair, the other cars in that round were literal zeroes, I mean even if you summed up every body region they'd still be at zero points, so it's not a question of being partial to Ford or VW (speaking of which, they've still spelt Volkswagen wrong).

The Eeco still remains at 1.13; perhaps the chest was marked down for unstable structure but didn't actually cross capping limits, like the Nissan Tsuru.

Interestingly it looks like even the old Figo with airbags would have been a three star car at best. I hadn't noticed earlier that the driver's tibia was red. No wonder then that they didn't sponsor a test.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed