Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2018, 19:50   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
There is nothing that you could have done about - could you ?

If You had purchased in Oct or Nov. And the test was conducted in late Nov. You did not the results till it was announced. Neither was the test announced, nor were the results predicted. In this case, it was just about not being in the right place at the right time.
Ofcourse there is nothing you can do about it but would you not feel a little remorse?

Also, this is not like an improved facelift mid cycle which you anticipate, this is 2 years of launch and you have a structural change.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with this news but it also shows one aspect of Tata. They basically developed / improved the car after launching it.

It's the same with most of their launches. I remember Tiago and Tigor had updated engines vs the first batch which wasn't as refined. Even exhaust design was changed in Nexon. Imagine the mess of part numbers and compatibility with VIN's.

Now again they will have diff part nos. for old Nexon and new nexon whatever parts were changed.

Such structural design aspects should be done right first time imo.

Again reiterating, very Happy to hear Nexon got the 5 star rating. I have no qualms in recommending the Nexon to colleagues and friends over the Ecosport. In my opinion, the NExon is the better car.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 21:28   #77
Senior - BHPian

I'm aware of it, and no it doesn't bother me! I'm seeing it like how most cars get upgraded versions every year. So what if I have a four-star car!

I'm batting for team Nexon whole heartedly as the car has been a great investment so far. Happy for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Your car is 4-star GNCAP rated.
Sebring is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 22:36   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Ofcourse there is nothing you can do about it but would you not feel a little remorse?
Also, this is not like an improved facelift mid cycle which you anticipate, this is 2 years of launch and you have a structural change.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with this news but it also shows one aspect of Tata. They basically developed / improved the car after launching it.
True, agree with your point. But continuous improvement is the agenda of every damn organization is this world, be it manufacturing or IT.
Car manufacturers have dedicated teams to focus on improving quality and function of components. Tata has always upgraded the radiators, exhausts, AC systems etc. Sadly most of them are not reverse compatible, hence old customers might feel a tad sad.

Example - self adjusting, lightest clutch in the segment on storme varicor and hexa. I did a lot of R&D and fitted one on my old storme. But one can't do it easily.

If your news is right tata must have improved the BIW structure by modifying the punching dies at the press shop or by adding more material.

Nevertheless if manufacturers learn from the field and keep improving in terms of safety i would say they are simply outstanding. Tata would have remained satisfied with 4 star rating they got. They showed commitment and went ahead to achieve excellence i.e 5 star which makes us proud today being an Indian.
amit_mechengg is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 22:41   #79
BHPian

Well done Tata. It’s heartening to hear that a homegrown company is taking safety seriously. Other Asian companies should take note and improve.
Old 8th December 2018, 22:58   #80
Senior - BHPian

Great to see Tata Motors taking safety seriously. Hope that other Indian manufacturers also take safety seriously. Saw the below tweet from Anand Mahindra. I think when more and more customers start demanding safety, we will see more safer "Made in India" cars. Congratulations to Tata Motors for taking the lead
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car-am.jpg  

Last edited by airbus : 8th December 2018 at 23:09. Reason: Minor update.
airbus is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 23:04   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Example - self adjusting, lightest clutch in the segment on storme varicor and hexa. I did a lot of R&D and fitted one on my old storme. But one can't do it easily.
@Amit, that line is going to get you some queries ! I think many Storme owners would like to do it

Yes, agree with the continuous improvement part.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 23:11   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Amit, that line is going to get you some queries ! I think many Storme owners would like to do it

Yes, agree with the continuous improvement part.
Sure most welcome. I have photos too. I first thought it would be an easy upgrade, only to realize that i opened a can of worms, but at the end did it and i am super happy with it. My father who has a back ache problem is also super happy as it causes him zero pain even after driving continuously in the city. It costed me around 45k but the ROI is justified. The strome clutch gets hard in 40k kms when driven in the city for most of the time. The pressure plate gets hard. With this upgrade i am covered for atleast 1.4 lac kms. The taxi arias fitted with this clutch have ran minimum 2.5 lacs before clutch replacement.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 07:51   #83
BHPian

Great Step forward in terms of Passenger safety Kudos to TATA for achieving it
Old 9th December 2018, 08:32   #84
BHPian

This is indeed a great achievement for TATA motors and a proud moment for us Indians. I am sure the reassuring test results will attract more and more to their showrooms as most of us are giving top priority to safety while zeroing in on our rides. Great going Tata. Kudos and hats off
Old 9th December 2018, 09:58   #85
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Great news. And very good of Tata to go back and make necessary changes so that Nexon gets the additional one star. They should now go full out and publicize this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
I may be going off topic now but I just want to stress on the point of how Tata has been the pioneer of 'people over money' philosophy and this first ever 5 stars safety rating just reinforces their vision and I respect them for that.

One company that I don't respect is Maruti. With 50% market share, they are responsible for the safety of the cars in which half of the car owners of India travel and they don't give a damn!
Agree on both counts. As the market leader, Maruti could have set a safety culture in Indian automotive scene. Whereas they prefer to hide behind silly excuses and defunct laws!
Old 9th December 2018, 10:06   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Great to see Tata Motors taking safety seriously. Hope that other Indian manufacturers also take safety seriously. Saw the below tweet from Anand Mahindra. I think when more and more customers start demanding safety, we will see more safer "Made in India" cars. Congratulations to Tata Motors for taking the lead
Morazzo getting 4 star rating is a commendable effort from Mahindra and considering the previous benchmark of 4 stars in the price range, Mahindra would have ideally liked to leverage this achievement. However, now with Nexon going a step further, Mahindra will be not able to take full advantage. TATA will go to town with this test result and a clear message that 5 stars is the new benchmark to be matched. A big positive for us car buyers is that car manufacturers in India now have to match Nexon results if safety is going to be an important part of their sales pitch. 3 and 4 starts will no longer make the cut.
greenoval is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 10:50   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Now again they will have diff part nos. for old Nexon and new nexon whatever parts were changed.

Such structural design aspects should be done right first time imo.
Viddy, I am quoting part of your post here. And I am not contesting your response here, either.

Let's see this from the continuous improvement perspective. And from what I read, one of the points how this was done was to change some welding points on the chassis. Such improvements / changes are not something that can be retrofitted into a vehicle. Even the clutch change that Amit mentioned is not for everyone to try.

Btw, I think that the results had come when the NCAP announced that we can expect a 5-star rated car by this year end. I think that the results were announced After Tata made required changes to the manufacturing process, and any changes to the parts. That should be the reason for the cut-off date of 7-Dec.
Old 9th December 2018, 11:41   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Let's see this from the continuous improvement perspective.
Agreed. Earlier version was also 4-star rated, which was the best in the market anyways. Now they just made the best, even better.

It's not like the previous owners are driving around in an unsafe car!

In a market where 2 and 3 stars are still the norm, even from international players - I see no sense feeling remorse about TATA improving their standards from 4 to 5 stars.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th December 2018 at 11:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 13:08   #89
BHPian

Kudos to Tata for this great achievement!!

On a different note, however, I feel that star ratings in isolation, without going through the actual reports, is kind of misleading. Most people here doesn't even know the difference between GNCAP and EuroNCAP. As already discussed in this thread, EuroNCAP is vastly different from GNCAP and thus their star ratings mean two completely different things/standards. However, most people in India just know and care about the number of stars, and not about who awarded the stars, to which model - Indian or International, why it failed in certain aspects etc. The result is, they end up buying cars by looking at its star ratings on international models or take wrong decisions.

For example, Punto was awarded 0 stars by EuroNCAP. But IIRC, someone here on TBHP mentioned that was only because of a missing seat belt reminder otherwise it would have received 3 stars. If so, I am pretty sure it would have done fairly well on the GNCAP benchmarks.

Thus, I feel that just the star rating in isolation is not good and sufficient for raising awareness, keeping in mind that most of the people here would just go by the number of stars and not read the complete report and other details as mentioned earlier.
thehacker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 13:50   #90
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon Creates History With 5 Star Global NCAP Crash Test Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Kudos TATA. You make us proud.
India being the bread and butter market of Suzuki, they didn't care about Indian's safety, putting the onus on regulations. Hope this will make things change.
While I understand where you are coming from, I feel it is us as a whole who haven't cared enough about safety. I owned a Kizashi which was one of the safest cars in its segment outperforming cars like the C-Class, 3-series and A4 until 2014 when its production was ceased. The car was sold here for a pittance with akebono brakes, such fantastic safety nets and what did we all have to say? "It's too expensive" even though it was far cheaper than its rivals. On the other hand, every generation of the Swift keeps getting lighter and flimsier yet we all sing praise.

The common man doesn't really care about much else apart from features, but if us enthusiasts also make such grave mistakes in what we choose to endorse, there's no point laying back and blaming the companies for reacting to market trends.
IshaanIan is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed