Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2018, 07:47   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car

My beauty made it to the top. So happy! Feeling reassured that my choice has been right. Mine was the first Nexon in Bangalore and at that point, everyone was asking me 'why not Maruti?', at that price point. But to me somehow the car jelled from all angles, especially rock-solid safety. It's clocking the miles without a hassle and I'm happy I own this hulk!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car-img_2873.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 08:11   #62
BHPian

Proud moment for Tata Motors and the Indian Automotive Industry! All of Tata's efforts seem to be paying off. At the same time, I am also pleasantly surprised that the Nexon managed this with just dual airbags. Atleast now, Tata should realise their products' potential and stop removing features frequently to maintain the price.

If the Tiago too manages to perform similarly in crash tests, which I believe it would, then it would be a force to reckon with in the hatchback segment.
Old 8th December 2018, 09:27   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful news and a step in the right direction by Tata. Desh ka namak was one proud thing to say many years ago...Desh ki Gaadi is one now.

Looking at the list of safe cars...it's almost like the sales chart has be turned upside down(with some exceptions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Current owners may not be too happy seeing that newer cars are safer than their cars.
I don't think they'd be or they need to be. Because when they purchased it, it was still the safest (with some other cars for company). Probably those who bought very recently may think that they could've waited. But they have the bragging rights now. If someone tells them "why did you buy a Tata and why didn't you buy another car like Brezza or something"...they can silence them proudly.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 10:06   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Sir, the Nexon scored 4 star in Euro NCAP which is very stringent. Now it scored 5 star in Global NCAP. There is no change in structure. Current owners can stay happy that they drive the safest indian car, manufactured by indian company.
There is a change in some components, either structurally or some redesign earlier.

As you can read, its for cars manufactured after Dec 7th that have the 5 star rating.

They have definitely done some changes to the car which is confirmed by someone in Tata as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
WoW! Can't see anyone being unhappy just because newer cars are safer cars. Will they be happy if the NEXON was downgraded from 4* to 3*?
If you bought a Nexon in Sep-Oct-Nov and found that the one in December is safer without paying a rupee extra would you be happy that you have a slightly less safer car vs the one one sale within 2 months of getting yours?

Dunno about you, but I wouldn't be too happy with structural changes. Features I can live with but not this.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 10:18   #65
Senior - BHPian

I am not a fan of Nexon. However, I must say this is an amazing achievement, especially for an Indian Car maker. 5-star rating without side airbags, isn't it a necessary factor for 5 stars?

5-star rated cars, refreshed sales touch points, amazing product line and TATA Harrier. TATA Motors is achieving the right things on right time. TATA Motor's future looks amazing.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 10:32   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

This is fabulous!

Some good news finally for TML, otherwise the past few months have been quite grim for them - sluggish JLR pulling down share prices, negative publicity about feature deletions, cunning names etc.

To anyone at TML reading this -
Hope you guys shout out from the rooftops with massive marketing blitzkrieg to make sure people understand the significance. Take this opportunity to drive home the point that you have the "safest car" for the segment on the world's most unsafe roads.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 11:33   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Great.

Finally we have our own 5 star rated car. Hope this news makes it the banner on the Home Page.
This is a great feat by Tata kudos ! That too for a car not equipped with 6 air bags, and other fancy features like lane change assist, radar brake support etc, etc.

Can we have a separate thread to discuss in detail the technicalities involved and how Tata was able to achieve this while other manufacturers especially the ones like Maruti Suzuki is still lagging.? This really deserves a discussion in detail please.
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 14:30   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.iyer95 View Post
Atleast now, Tata should realise their products' potential and stop removing features frequently to maintain the price.

If the Tiago too manages to perform similarly in crash tests, which I believe it would, then it would be a force to reckon with
TATA knows their product's potential. About time the market realises and thinks beyond KMPL and addiction to bling. Then TATA can offer the features at increased price.

Until then they will have to forgo those feature to maintain optimal pricing. TATA have done their job, it's now our (consumer's) turn.

It's great that TATA thought about safety but forced to remove feature to be in the price war. If the market rewards with 5 digit sales then I believe every other manufacturer will have no choice but to focus on safety.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 14:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

The best part is that the Nexon scores on KMPL front too. I got 24KMPL on my Chennai drive. In the city, it is hovering between 17 & 18. T2T method! One guy in the Nexonites Bangalore group has managed 35KMPL by keeping a constant 90KMPH, minimal brake use etc. Its documented...but then in that particular case, he was quoting mid-figure, substantiated by the Fuelio app...not T2T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
About time the market realises and thinks beyond KMPL and addiction to bling.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 15:55   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I wish we knew what was changed structurally vs the earlier model to get it the 5 star rating. Has to be something significant.

Current owners may not be too happy seeing that newer cars are safer than their cars.
I bought a Nexon about four months back. Am I unhappy? Yes, somewhat disappointed but only with my bad luck. I wouldn't be unhappy or upset with Tata, for they are doing the right thing by improving the car. Besides, when I bought the car, it was already one of the safest cars around. Good news (being in India) is, when I sell it, nobody is going to bother whether this is a four or five star car!
prakash_ajp is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 15:59   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dunno about you, but I wouldn't be too happy with structural changes. Features I can live with but not this.
There is nothing that you could have done about - could you ?

If You had purchased in Oct or Nov. And the test was conducted in late Nov. You did not the results till it was announced. Neither was the test announced, nor were the results predicted. In this case, it was just about not being in the right place at the right time.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 16:33   #72
BHPian

Re: Requirements for 5-star rating in Global NCAP & Improvements made by Tata Nexon

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post

3) Conformity to side impact test (ECE95): Against a Moving Deformable Barrier at 50kmph and minimum performance as per original criteria has been met, despite not being equipped with side or curtain bags. Commendable, but do note that unlike ENCAP, the GNCAP side-impact test doesn't assign graded scores, just a pass/fail. Equipping the vehicle with side/curtain airbags will improve the protection further.

It is not that easy.
In the front impact test itself, the vehicle will have to score more than 14.00 points to be even considered for 5-star rating. Tata has achieved this by improving the protection offered to the occupants' upper leg and knee area compared to previous test (thereby going from 13.06 to 15.06 if I'm not mistaken).
Thank you very much for the detailed post. That clarifies quite a bit of information.

Small typos (hope I was not wrong) if you can get corrected with the Mods would greatly help as lot of people would be reading your post for summary.

From the video on GNCAP site, the side impact test is conducted at 64 kmph (video at 1:05)

And the latest score is 16.06. You might had a typo with 15.06.
mrbaddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 17:47   #73
BHPian

Tata Nexon Displayed at WHO headquarter in Geneva. David Ward, Secretary General, Global NCAP and Virander Kumar Paul,Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations were present at the event.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car-75f251f2fd8144fd88f42cd70aa6a1d4.jpeg  

Fulcrum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 17:56   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My beauty made it to the top. So happy! Feeling reassured that my choice has been right. Mine was the first Nexon in Bangalore and at that point,---
Your car is 4 star GNCAP rated. But the ones rolled out from Dec 7th with the applicable VIN code ( as in the GNCAP report) are the 5 star rated ones.
Old 8th December 2018, 18:17   #75
BHPian

Re: Requirements for 5-star rating in Global NCAP & Improvements made by Tata Nexon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Thank you very much for the detailed post. That clarifies quite a bit of information.
Thank you for pointing out. Honestly I am quite surprised that they would test at 64kmph for side-impact tests.

Even the latest Euro-NCAP test for side-impact using Mobile Deformable Barrier is at 50kmph. I am attaching the latest Euro-NCAP test protocol for ready reference (v7.1.3), Page 18 of the document.

I would be worried if Global-NCAP has made a mistake in their video regarding the speed at which side-impact test has been conducted.

Quote:
And the latest score is 16.06. You might had a typo with 15.06.
It wasn't a typo.
  • The score for Frontal offset Deformable barrier test is indeed 15.06.
  • Extra 1 point comes from having a) Driver SBR (+0.5 points) and b) Front Passenger SBR (+0.5 points).
  • This takes the overall score to 16.06 points for Adult Occupant Protection.

As you can see in my post, I have mentioned the scores for all the cars below in pure crash test performance scores (i.e without SBR points).
If the vehicle had driver-SBR (Eg: Zest, Nexon, Brezza, Marazzo), I quoted by reducing 0.5 points from overall Adult Occupant Protection score. If there is no SBR at all (Example: Etios Liva, VW Polo), nothing to reduce from overall score.
Note: Marazzo though equipped with front passenger SBR, it is not in-line GNCAP requirements. I am not sure of the reason though.

Why I did so is to clarify the fact that, to be considered for 5-stars, it is mandatory for the vehicle to achieve at least 14.00 points (without SBR credits) in the front ODB crash test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
In the front impact test itself, the vehicle will have to score more than 14.00 points to be even considered for 5-star rating. Tata has achieved this by improving the protection offered to the occupants' upper leg and knee area compared to previous test (thereby going from 13.06 to 15.06 if I'm not mistaken).

To give an idea, among the cars rated 4-stars till date, below are the scores during frontal impact test:
  • Tata Nexon (4 stars): 13.06
  • Toyota Etios Liva (4 stars): 13.00
  • VW Polo (4 stars): 12.54
  • Mahindra Marazzo (4 stars): 12.35
  • Suzuki Vitara Brezza (4 stars): 12.01
  • Tata Zest (4 stars): 10.65

On top of it, SBR for both driver and front passengers (+1.00 points), 4-channel ABS as standard and conformity to side-impact test are needed for 5-stars.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Euro-ncap-side-protocol-ae-mdb-v713.pdf (738.0 KB, 385 views)

Last edited by theMAG : 8th December 2018 at 20:10. Reason: Trimming quoted content for readability.
avinash_clt is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks