Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2018, 13:07   #106
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
1. AFAIK, there is no way to tell from the VIN if it is manufactured after the 7th,though there is a good chance that it is. It IMHO, is better to buy a Jan VIN car in two ways, one you're sure that it is indeed a 5* rated car and two that it'll help you during resale (though you'll have to absorb the cost increase from Jan if any).
Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
I'm in the same dilemma. The top end variant now costs 9.88ex showroom. There is a price hike of 20k expected by Jan. This will push the ex-showroom price more than 10L and along with the price hike and TDS, the OTR will increase by a cool 80k. This is with the exclusion of the offers that are currently on for the month of December (Insurance costs only 6k if you book in Dec). If you bring the December offers into the equation it just looks like too much of money.
I stand corrected. The GNCAP report does mentions the start of the VIN series from which this 5* rating is applicable. Quoting the same below and you can read the full report here.
Quote:
This result is valid for all Nexon units produced as from December 7th, 2018 (from VIN MAT627165JLP51255).
For people looking to take advantage of the December offers, please also checkout Anirban101's post in (The "I Booked my Car" Thread)
Old 26th December 2018, 05:56   #107

I am extremely pleased to read this. My parents were planning to get a new car as our Vista V2 is basically going to die any day now. Now I can confidently recommend the Nexon to them and chuck Swift plans straight into the bin.
Choerrymotion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 07:51   #108
BHPian

This milestone is going to be a huge marketing point for TATA. I pray that they highlight this aggressively.

Once the customer starts asking the crash test rating, like we did with energy efficient appliances, other companies will follow suit.
mbilung is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 10:24   #109
BANNED

I guess this video says something when it comes to the structural strength of the car. They say that "make it light", but when the weaker sections like roof are subjected to such an impact, the fuel efficient light cars are probably the ones in which none of us would want to be. Here is the video, impressed by the way the structure didn't completely cave in or got ruptured, these unipoles are heavy items one should know:

VKumar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 22:41   #110
BHPian

I have this query in my mind after discussion with folks from industry.

Can a manufacturer decide to cut the quality of metal used in production cars after achieving superior quality material for achieving 5 stars? After an year or maybe even a month?

Not questioning Nexon but a general query
Old 12th March 2019, 22:46   #111
BHPian

As per GaadiWaadi.com, Nexon sales have grown by 20% since the five star GNCAP rating. This shows people are becoming more conscious about road safety. Nexon sales were highest ever in February 2019. In a recent accident, Nexon again proved its strong build when it was crashed with Innova and Creta, Nexon being in the middle. Also look at the damage to Creta.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car-fb_img_1552410773161.jpg  

Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car-fb_img_1552410766864.jpg  

Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car-fb_img_1552410770941.jpg  

HarshGtR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 23:05   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
In a recent accident, Nexon again proved its strong build when it was crashed with Innova and Creta, Nexon being in the middle. Also look at the damage to Creta.

Clearly Creta is the one who crashed into Nexon and propelled it forward to Innova. Crashing at such speed, the damage to the Creta is not out of ordinary. Not taking anything away from Nexon, but damage to Creta and even Nexon is as expected in this accident.
ani_meher is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 20:09   #113
BHPian

https://www.indiatimes.com/auto/curr...of-507096.html

Tata Nexon Jumps Off Highway, Miraculously Saves All Passengers After A 15-Ft Drop On Its Roof

Some more validation.

Last edited by drsingh : 25th February 2020 at 20:10. Reason: Added link.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 17:56   #114
Senior - BHPian

Re: Requirements for 5-star rating in Global NCAP & Improvements made by Tata Nexon

Thanks for this lovely post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Understanding that there is some confusion about what it takes to achieve 5-stars for Adult Occupant Safety as per GNCAP tests, reposting myself from another thread.

What I can sum up about the improvements made towards achieving 5-stars:

1) Addition of SBR for front passenger
3) Conformity to side impact test (ECE95)
4) Improved protection to thigh/femur/knee area

As mentioned above, only the minimum performance criteria as per ECE95 side impact test have to be met. At the moment GNCAP doesn't differentiate between cars that would perform significantly better than the other

In the front impact test itself, the vehicle will have to score more than 14.00 points to be even considered for 5-star rating. Tata has achieved this by improving the protection offered to the occupants' upper leg and knee area compared to previous test (thereby going from 13.06 to 15.06 if I'm not mistaken).

On top of it, SBR for both driver and front passengers (+1.00 points), 4-channel ABS as standard and conformity to side-impact test are needed for 5-stars.

The comments from the 4-star test says

However in the latest test, the comments:

So they are likely to have improved the structure/components behind the dashboard and/or interior trims that impact the knees and upper legs.
Hope this brings some clarity
You nailed it chief

In fact, this single 5* rating led to so much hoopla over the relative engineering prowess of MSIL vs TML when it came down to the question of when MSIL can retool the Brezza to make the same changes.

In simple English what I can read as the issue for Brezza is:
Driver’s knees showed marginal protection and passenger’s knees marginal and good protection as they could impact with dangerous structures behind the dashboard supported by the Tranfascia tube.

My guess? Lead time / effort of changing tooling / supply chain commitments versus plan.

You need ONE generation redesign to redesign the dashboard. Not that hard.

I am frankly a bit disappointed with MSIL - I was hoping that the 2020 Brezza relaunch would have sorted this out! Hoping for positive news on that front!
Old 6th November 2020, 19:20   #115
BHPian

Re: Requirements for 5-star rating in Global NCAP & Improvements made by Tata Nexon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thanks for this lovely post.
You nailed it chief

In fact, this single 5* rating led to so much hoopla over the relative engineering prowess of MSIL vs TML when it came down to the question of when MSIL can retool the Brezza to make the same changes.

In simple English what I can read as the issue for Brezza is:
Driver’s knees showed marginal protection and passenger’s knees marginal and good protection as they could impact with dangerous structures behind the dashboard supported by the Tranfascia tube.

My guess? Lead time / effort of changing tooling / supply chain commitments versus plan.

You need ONE generation redesign to redesign the dashboard. Not that hard.

I am frankly a bit disappointed with MSIL - I was hoping that the 2020 Brezza relaunch would have sorted this out! Hoping for positive news on that front!
Does this mean that the Tata Nexon need NOT have 6 airbags? Side airbags are then a waste if they are able to handle the issue of side impact just with their build quality. Right?
niranjanprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 22:52   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
Does this mean that the Tata Nexon need NOT have 6 airbags? Side airbags are then a waste if they are able to handle the issue of side impact just with their build quality. Right?
Sorry - Let's not confuse the minimum threshold to get 5* in GNCAP with higher spec variants - which we as BHPIans should choose. The spec to shoot for the base model (vs the top end kit) is a commercial optimization frankly - I have no interest in using terminology like "side airbags are a waste" which detracts from the core issue at hand i.e how far is MSIL from delivering a truly safe car of its own, with Brezza being an ideal contender for that.

In fact, most folks (many chauffeured) buy a Honda city with 2 airbags instead of a Yaris with 7! That's the reality of Indians.

The safety features was what helped swing the decision for the Yaris!
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 23:09   #117
BHPian

Genuine query:

Is there a reason why TATA is no longer advertising the 5 star GNCAP rating on the Nexon? I saw this query raised by our fellow members (in KIA Seltos/Maruti SPresso/Hyundai nios GNCAP thread) but thought it would get more visibility here and without going OT.

I just recommended the Nexon to one more friend last weekend (and reaffirmed it again since I don't think there is possibility of the Sonet being safe anymore after the Seltos GNCAP debacle).

But when I search for the Nexon on TATA website I don't see the banner with the 5 star GNCAP anymore. Even the features section doesn't mention the rating under safety (https://cars.tatamotors.com/suv/nexon/features).

But switchover to the Altroz and you can see TATA proudly proclaiming that it has a 5 star GNCAP rating(https://cars.tatamotors.com/cars/altroz/features).

I will most likely end up with a Nexon by this year or early next (inspite of it's AMT) so this is a personal query too. Besides, I would look like a blithering idiot if I keep recommending the Nexon to family/friends even after TATA changes its structure.

Now, I guess some members might be shocked on that insinuation against TATA (one of the few manufacturers that gave us Indians safe cars) but as per me TATA is just another manufacturer who has chosen to use safety as their product USP.

I would be disappointed if they sneakily changed the Nexon's platform but not shocked (just a pessimist in general these days).
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car-tatanexongncap.png  

Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car-tataaltrozgncap.png  

JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 23:31   #118
BHPian

In the Nexon facelift, there were a few structural changes including the addition of a sunroof which itself makes the car ‘different’ from the car which was tested by GNCAP. Hence TATA cannot advertise the ‘new’ model as 5-star rated till GNCAP tests this facelift again. Since its TATA, the safe assumption is that this car would also be 5-Star rated, probably both parties do not want money to be involved again for crash testing. The platform has not changed from the pre-facelift Nexon.

Last edited by Xaos636 : 12th November 2020 at 23:33.
Xaos636 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 23:47   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
In the Nexon facelift, there were a few structural changes including the addition of a sunroof which itself makes the car ‘different’ from the car which was tested by GNCAP. Hence TATA cannot advertise the ‘new’ model as 5-star rated till GNCAP tests this facelift again.
Thanks. I saw our fellow member ram87pune comment the same in the original thread. Considering his experience with TATA products along with fellow members drawing the same conclusion I am happy that it's most likely a simple technicality that caused the 5 star GNCAP rating to disappear from TATA Nexon page.

Here's hoping that TATA doesn't disappoint.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 03:36   #120
Senior - BHPian

fa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
In the Nexon facelift, there were a few structural changes including the addition of a sunroof which itself makes the car ‘different’ from the car which was tested by GNCAP. Hence TATA cannot advertise the ‘new’ model as 5-star rated till GNCAP tests this facelift again. Since its TATA, the safe assumption is that this car would also be 5-Star rated, probably both parties do not want money to be involved again for crash testing. The platform has not changed from the pre-facelift Nexon.
I am not sure if i agree with you here. A Sunroof is not a structural change because the pillars are the load bearing structures not the roof itself. The same car with sunroof or without sunroof do not have different crash test ratings. What other structural changes are you talking about? You cant even see the structural changes unless you raise the car and look at the underside or strip it all or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Thanks. I saw our fellow member ram87pune comment the same in the original thread. Considering his experience with TATA products along with fellow members drawing the same conclusion I am happy that it's most likely a simple technicality that caused the 5 star GNCAP rating to disappear from TATA Nexon page.

Here's hoping that TATA doesn't disappoint.
Alloy wheel design, front bumpers effect crash test rating? We need to understand what a crumple zone is and what is the load bearing structure of a car to absorb crashes. So unless Tata skimped and made changes to the structure of the car after NCAP testing, the ratings would still remain the same when tested against the same parameters.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th November 2020 at 08:56. Reason: Rersonal attack deleted
extreme_torque is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed