Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2018, 11:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Indian roads getting safer: Top reasons for this change

With just a few days left to go for a new year, we look back at all the things that made Indian Roads safer this year, from newer enforcement technology to applications aimed at safer road travels, find out how far we have come!

Quote:
The year has almost come to an end, and through the year one of the things we have worried our heads over is road safety. From what is being done, to our own two cents we have strived to make our contribution towards safer roads in India. The government has been taking a stronger stand with stronger policies grassroots initiatives, sterner action against offenders and the introduction of high tech monitoring system. Vehicles too have started getting safer with more mandatory safety features being prescribed by the government, cars will now come more or less as standard with dual airbags, ABS and EBD. As for bikes, ABS will soon be mandatory for bikes above 125cc and Combi-braking coming to bikes below the 125cc mark. We have taken many a step in the right direction, the question is, are Indian roads safer than they were last year. Let's take a closer look:
  • A decline in Road Accidents.
  • More Focus on proper driver training.
  • Technology to Traffic Management.
  • Celebrity Endorsements.
  • Mobile Applications.
Full Article.
SJM1214 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 11:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Indian roads getting safer: Top reasons for this change

Strange article. I don't think the roads are getting safer at all. With more and more vehicles on the road and infrastructure not able to keep up, I believe the roads are more unsafe than before.

The efforts mentioned are laudable, but small efforts in small pockets. Easily offset by the general increase in vehicular traffic and the issues related to that.
Rajeevraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 11:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
[b]With just a few days left to go for a new year, we look back at all the things that made Indian Roads safer this year[/list]Full Article.
That's a bogus article - seems like a MBA student wrote an overnight article to be submitted in the morning.

Very limited numbers mentioned, infact no sources for the few stats mentioned and just wishful areas touched upon. The fact of ABS being mandatory for new bikes and airbags being common in most new launches only affects a minor % of the vehicles on-road; and even for those; we have far more idiots who drive without seatbelts or follow basic driving norms.
ninjatalli is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 12:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Strange article. I don't think the roads are getting safer at all. With more and more vehicles on the road and infrastructure not able to keep up, I believe the roads are more unsafe than before. .
You said it. I was otherwise going to say that our roads suffer from Poor Engineering and this is also one of the most important reasons for road accidents yet no one wants to give that prominence and they keep building expressway and what not.
  • Easy and safe entry and exit from highways - No shortcuts then
  • Well managed cross-roads with underpass or overpasses - No wrong side driving then
  • Proper road signage and markings - No untoward accidents to a missed exit
  • Well designed break in the medians - So one can wait safely and take that turn
  • Redesign and closure of illegal and unscientific break in the medians
  • Dangerously placed speedbreakers that increase accidents than reducing one
  • Uniform width of a particular road - This often has mislead drivers and caused accidents
  • Well illuminated roads, at least with reflective material not just for lane dividing but also for marking the shoulders and the medians - This helps immensely at nights, especially when it rains and dark roads turn more darker after getting soaked in water
  • Proper drains to avoid water logging next to the median - This will reduce accidents due to aquaplaning...so on
There is absolutely no doubt that our country needs to emphasize road manners and driving techniques first but what we are seeing these days is that its just roads (4-6-8 lanes) getting better and better but hardly any complementing attributes that makes the road design itself safer.

This thread is something that talks about failures with road engineering - 700 Dark spots identified on Indian Highways and is an irony to whatever has been claimed in this article referred above. To me, dark spot identified on the highway is poor road engineering. If you haven't taken into account the reasons why a particular stretch of road you are building may turn into an accident spot tomorrow or after 2 years, you have just created a man made accident zone there.

This is mainly due to badly marked exit on NICE Road where I have often seen many reversing their cars. A well marked exit is not only clearly spotted but also placed at appropriate point from where one starts slowing down.

Indian roads getting safer: Top reasons for this change-xylo.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th December 2018 at 12:13.
paragsachania is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 14:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

This report is absolutely right. You just have to read the news as below...

Quote:
With just a few days left to go for ELECTION
Now what do you guys say? Is this report right or not?

Add another practical observation, everyday in my locality, during the peak hours, it takes about 15 minutes to cover a distance of 2.8 Km, such has the traffic gone up. Atleast a year ago it used to be less than 10 minutes & a decade ago, it used to be 5 minutes. So with this kind of snail speed traffic, how can the accidents happen?

Matter of fact in Chennai, the govt buses still block the road at every bus stop, almost entire population ride without helmet & most importantly I sometimes get a feel that I live in US because of most folks riding on right side of the road!! At this rate, I'm wondering how the accidents can come down!!
aargee is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 14:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[b]...Indian Roads safer...
This must be the overstatement of the year!

Quote:
  • A decline in Road Accidents.
  • More Focus on proper driver training.
  • Technology to Traffic Management.
  • Celebrity Endorsements.
  • Mobile Applications.
A decline in Road Accidents. Statistically, MoRTH has managed to produce a rosy picture by claiming the number of fatalities has gone down. The corresponding statistics for non-fatal crashes, including single-vehicle crashes due to driver error or road construction flaws, have been swept under the carpet.

More Focus on proper driver training. Formal driver training? There is no such thing in India yet. Anyone who has actually attended commercial vehicle driver refresher courses conducted by the traffic police and private agencies, would be shocked at the callousness with which such lectures are delivered! The truth of the content of these lectures, and how much is actually imbibed by the trainees, leaves a lot to be desired.

Technology to Traffic Management. This is perhaps the only area where some improvement has been noticed. Speed & traffic cameras, real-time issuing of tickets, drink-driving checks and impounding of driving licenses - these have contributed more to slowing down traffic and making irresponsible drivers a little more careful. Yet, these activities are confined to a very limited area in the larger cities, and do not have any impact on the highways, where truck drivers still drive under the influence of alcohol (despite the misguided step of removing liquor vends a certain distance from the highways). Can a single member here recall even one incident where they have been subjected to a random breathalyser test on a highway?

Celebrity Endorsements. This must be the stupidest step in trying to make our roads safer. The actor who would have been guilty of hooning were this ad to be published in Australia...

...is seen advising about the use of seat belts, even though the child is improperly seated with unsafe seat belt use.

Why do celebrities teach people wrong practices, especially since the Indian people consider celebrities' words as gospel?

Mobile Applications. Are we trying to dissuade use of mobiles while driving, or is it the other way round?
Quote:
...provision for the user to enter road quality-related information or to report any accident or pothole on the highway.
Now, how exactly is a driver supposed to do that without using his mobile? Or are we expected to stop in the middle of the highway each time we spot a pothole, and report in to Mr. Gadkari? Folks who think up these things don't ever drive themselves, do they?

Oh well, there's no point ranting on to counter fake news.
SS-Traveller is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 16:59   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

We have a loooong way to go before we can call our roads "safe". Our roads today are an unfortunate (and often deadly) mix of public apathy to rules, lack of common sense, false ego/pride, lack of infrastructure, ever increasing types of transport etc.

But then, as is the norm these days, anything can be made to look good on paper. Number crunching at its best!
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 17:04   #8
BHPian

This article could be nothing further from the truth, it looks written to post a lovely glorious picture of the current government in power.

Indian roads have become worse to drive on and the lack of traffic sense is shocking to say the least. Its just getting worse day by day. Try driving in Bangalore and see the rampant breaking of traffic rules and road rage at all times of the day or night. How many police vehicles do we see even wearing seatbelts & following rules ? How many of us see a local Hoysala patrol vehicle ever wearing seatbelts or driving properly ? They are supposed to be the role models ! Our tier 2 cities & towns are getting terrible too.

We need a complete overhaul of the system starting from grassroots education of road safety and traffic basics. Stringent and capital punishment if required for repeat offenders. Better roads and signages, etc etc the list of suggestions goes on.

What might have improved is the collection of fines for various offences.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 17:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry but every other day in the accident thread there is a post where a car goes under a truck, carelessly parked on the side of the highway (sometimes in the middle), resulting in fatalities, because it lacks something as basic as proper under-run bars. The state of affairs is such that we aren’t able to make this basic safety a mandatory requirement via legislation and enforce it. How many lives we could have been saved, how many families could have been saved. The careless attitude is on display in every sphere of life in India. We never learn, we don’t want to learn, we dont ask questions, we dont demand answers.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 18th December 2018 at 17:20.
extreme_torque is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 17:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

This FE article is one for the birds. Is this guy serious? It seems put together by an amateur at the behest of either the Central or a State Govt.

I just got back from a highway trip and I continue to be appalled at my countrymen's behaviour on the roads. Forget talking on the mobile whilst driving they text, yes TEXT when driving AND riding.

Road engineering, construction and reach has improved over the past 10-15 years but done nothing to enforce rules and laws. Speeding, jaywalking, driving in the wrong direction, no helmets, MLAs threatening cops if helmet rules are enforced, no seat belts, overloaded cars/buses. Oh I could go on and on and on. Nah! I've given up. Defensive riding/driving is what works best in this country.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 08:25   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rubbish article, but I will go against the tide here and say that Indian roads have indeed gotten safer than they were before. No, they aren't safe and Indian roads have the highest number of fatalities worldwide...but the key term here is safer.

Consider the statistics = the sales volume of cars & 2-wheelers has far outpaced that of road fatalities. Thus, if you were to calculate the fatal accidents / 1 lakh vehicles, you'll see that its gone down.

Are highways better than a decade ago? Yep. Are cars safer? Yes. Have the awareness levels around safety gone up? Yes. Are Airbags & ABS available in more cars today? You bet.

Then, look at cities like Bombay. No one has the guts to drive after drinking now, thanks to strict enforcement by the cops. Drive on the Sealink and you'll be shocked at how everyone moves at exactly 80 kmph (again, thanks to strict policing).

So, I will say that Indian roads have indeed gotten safer, even if they aren't safe.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 09:29   #12
BHPian

A subject very close to my heart. There is no shortcut to awareness and education .
In my schooldays ,and I'm talking of the 1950's, there used to be a Moral Studies period every working day. Monthly tests were held and marks scored by kids were factored in the overall result. Something similar is required for making children aware on road safety and rules to be observed right upto the High School level. This, coupled with strict implementation of laws and extremely heavy fines can help substantially. We could hope to improve the situation in a couple of decades if we follow these methods. Right now, its a bu****s muddle.

Unfortunately governments concentrate only on populism and ways and means( fair or foul) in winning the next election. One government even brought in religion to nix road safety measures.
Just my 2c.
vkr15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 10:45   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65765549.cms

Perhaps this article reflects the state of affairs relating to road safety in India better than the article the OP quoted.

Indian roads getting safer: Top reasons for this change-crashes3.jpg

Indian roads getting safer: Top reasons for this change-crashes2.jpg

Indian roads getting safer: Top reasons for this change-crashes4.jpg

Indian roads getting safer: Top reasons for this change-crashes1.jpg

As the last graph shows, 2016 was the peak year for fatalities, and 2017 shows a small dip in road related fatalities. Noticeably, 2010-11 had the previous peak, followed by a trough over the succeeding 5 years, and a gradual rise to a higher peak. Small statistical dips year-on-year are really meaningless.

Going by this, India's 2015 commitment in the Brasilia declaration to halve road fatalities by 2020 is not likely to fructify in another 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Then, look at cities like Bombay. No one has the guts to drive after drinking now, thanks to strict enforcement by the cops.
Drunk driving in larger cities has certainly reduced, but truck drivers' best practices still include a few swigs of their favourite tipple while driving long distances, to stop feeling tired! When will India take the decisive step of controlling driving hours of heavy vehicle drivers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
...these activities are confined to a very limited area in the larger cities, and do not have any impact on the highways, where truck drivers still drive under the influence of alcohol (despite the misguided step of removing liquor vends a certain distance from the highways). Can a single member here recall even one incident where they have been subjected to a random breathalyser test on a highway?
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 11:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Then, look at cities like Bombay. No one has the guts to drive after drinking now, thanks to strict enforcement by the cops. Drive on the Sealink and you'll be shocked at how everyone moves at exactly 80 kmph (again, thanks to strict policing).

So, I will say that Indian roads have indeed gotten safer, even if they aren't safe.
I totally second you. Even in the case of Mumbai--Pune Expressway, I have been observing past 2 years and more that, people tend to drive saner as compared to earlier. A vast majority now maintains a steady 90--100 kmph and sticks to one lane ( even though a wrong lane ) and there are just a few who are seen rashly cutting through the lanes at high speeds. Earlier, this sight of cars ripping at 140+ kmph and swerving between the lanes was common but now has surely come down. From such many other observations of many other roads, I am with you in saying that Indian roads have indeed gotten ''safer''.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 16:01   #15
BHPian

Another reason might be that two lane roads with oncoming traffic are increasingly being replaced by 4/6 lanes. Lets ignore the design flaws for a bit, but lack of oncoming traffic alone could a single big factor, especially for traffic related fatalities. At least North India has seen significant progress recently.

Reduction in average and top speeds in cities due to congestion could be another big one. We mostly see scrapes and dents, major accidents are a rare sight specially during the day.
avisidhu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks