Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2018, 22:01   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gujarat: Repeated wrong side driving will attract life ban on DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
How common is drink-and-drive in Ahmedabad, or for that matter, the whole of Gujarat, nowadays, considering that it is a dry state?
This might be a dated view, but there wasn't a strong push or checking/enforcing to prevent drink-and-drive. However back then, I did not see it a problem neither across the city nor in the other cities (Vadodara, etc)

Although when the local police decided on a mandate, they were quite bullish and made the effort to push it. For e.g. checking for liquor in passengers luggage arriving from outside the state, both driver and front passenger wearing the seatbelts. I was checked several times (on both accounts) during my 1+ year of stay over there.

So if the local government / police are bullish on the wrong side drive mandate, things might actually roll out, if atleast for only a short duration.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 22:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
How common is drink-and-drive in Ahmedabad, or for that matter, the whole of Gujarat, nowadays, considering that it is a dry state?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
but there wasn't a strong push or checking/enforcing to prevent drink-and-drive.
Calling it a dry state is just a joke. Only on papers. I mean, I find this prohibition law as a means for the lawmakers and officials to squeeze commission and bribe, from every possible corner. Right from bootleggers to individuals looking to get a permit through legal channel. This is like a cash cow for them.

Also, the check for drink and drive is also very common, especially between 12 am - 4 am where you will find cops standing in almost every junction. I find it funny that they check for the drink and drive in a dry state. But then, that itself tells the actual story about how dry Gujarat is.
R-Six is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 00:26   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Calling it a dry state is just a joke.
Also, the check for drink and drive is also very common, especially between 12 am - 4 am where you will find cops standing in almost every junction. I find it funny that they check for the drink and drive in a dry state.
Wow, that's quite a revelation. From my experience of the mid-90s living in Ahmedabad, possession & consumption of alcohol by itself led to an arrest and a night in jail, never mind driving while drunk. So now it's just a traffic offence, and someone can go scot free by dishing out a few thousand rupees?
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
But then, that itself tells the actual story about how dry Gujarat is.
Going off-topic but... well, the bootlegging industry in Gujarat was worth over Rs.20,000 crores annually back then (wonder what the numbers would be now). But that did not mean that people could (or would) actually appear in public after consuming alcohol, forget driving. Drinking was always hush-hush, behind closed doors, or for non-residents of Gujarat, at hotels which were empowered to issue a liquor licence.
Old 26th December 2018, 21:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
So now it's just a traffic offence, and someone can go scot free by dishing out a few thousand rupees?
Well, not just a few thousand rupees. It can run up to tens of thousands and what not depending on the vehicle you are driving and the number of cops around when they are caught.

Quote:
Drinking was always hush-hush, behind closed doors, or for non-residents of Gujarat, at hotels which were empowered to issue a liquor licence.
This is still a hush-hush affair. But then, its more of an open secret due to the increased exposure as well as the availability.
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 12:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, that's quite a revelation. From my experience of the mid-90s living in Ahmedabad, possession & consumption of alcohol by itself led to an arrest and a night in jail, never mind driving while drunk. So now it's just a traffic offence, and someone can go scot free by dishing out a few thousand rupees?
This is the season when most of the Desis come home for their annual visits. They come in around mid-Dec and stay through mid-Jan for Makar sankranti. I just returned from a short international trip back to Abad last week. Almost all the passengers above 18 had 2 bottles of liquor with them. I had earlier spoken with one of the customs officers at the airport on how they can allow liquor in a dry state and his response was amazing.
As per the Central Law anyone coming into India is allowed to carry 2L or equivalent (in terms of beer cases etc) when flying into India. So the Customs officers cannot confiscate the liquor bottles. However, the moment you set your foot outside the airport - now in the jurisdiction of the Gujarat Police - if found in possession of liquor (without a valid liquor permit) you are liable for prosecution - fine and jail.

I have seen the consumption of liquor increase in Gujarat in last decade or so, while it is for the most part still a hush hush affair (you wont find drunk folks wobbling around on the road), this season does see a spike in consumption of liquor and drunk driving cases.
GJ01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 12:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Awesome. If implemented wel... Apparently cops in B'lore pay big money to get posted in some good zones - MG road, Brigade Road, Residency Road, Chickpet area and avenue road, KR market area etc. Supposedly these zones (among few others) allow them to earn "massive" revenues.
Slightly Saw a lofty tweet by BTP last day in Twitter, and ofcourse many were frying them for this ! If actions doesn't match words, criticism must be expected IMHO. From personal experience so far in past 15years, BTP is notorious for corruption/inefficiency; not generalising though - honest+efficient cops must be among them though haven't come across many!
Attached Thumbnails
Gujarat: Repeated wrong side driving will attract life ban on DL-twtr.jpg  

KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 13:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
...a lofty tweet by BTP
Haha. If not anything, good to see some sense of humor on their part. Does bring in an element of human touch! Thanks for sharing.
Old 27th December 2018, 16:05   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
Slightly Saw a lofty tweet by BTP last day in Twitter, and ofcourse many were frying them for this !...
That ends with 'as long as you love me' (swap 'love' with 'pay' for BTP version) so probably a poor meme choice if the intent was to appear strict.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 12:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
That ends with 'as long as you love me' (swap 'love' with 'pay' for BTP version) so probably a poor meme choice if the intent was to appear strict.
Your wish, fulfilled ! ;-) Continuation to the above tweet...
Attached Thumbnails
Gujarat: Repeated wrong side driving will attract life ban on DL-twtr1.jpg  

Old 28th December 2018, 12:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Does it mean most bikers in Pune will not be able to drive? I doubt.
Maybe road planners should build a dedicated lane for wrong side drivers

Most Viewed