Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2018, 12:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gujarat: Repeated wrong side driving will attract life ban on DL

According to a media report, the Ahmedabad traffic police and the Regional Transport Office (RTO) have decided that those caught driving on the wrong side of the road twice will be banned from driving. The authorities have been reported to have cancelled seven driving licenses already.

Gujarat: Repeated wrong side driving will attract life ban on DL-wrong-side.1.jpg

According to the traffic police, an FIR will be registered against first time offenders and their licenses will be suspended for a period of 3-6 months. If the same person is caught driving on the wrong side of the road again, he/she will have his licence cancelled permanently. The person will also be blacklisted.

The old traffic law had a provision to cancel a person's driving license if he/she was caught breaking rules for 5 times. As per the new law, traffic police can recommend the RTO to cancel the license of a person if he breaks the rule on two occasions.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 13:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Gujarat: Repeated wrong side driving will attract life ban on DL

Not only wrong side driving, but Ahmedabad police is geared up to ban DL for offences like no seat belt, use of a cell phone during driving, drink and drive, no parking and overspeeding. Ahmedabad has all the potential to be like Bangaluru( traffic wise). Its great to see that Ahmedabad police is very much active and eager to take new initiatives in traffic management.
SJM1214 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 13:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Excellent initiative.

However, the words
Quote:
traffic police can recommend RTO to cancel the licence if the rule violator is caught in two offences
leave scope for subjective handling of repeat offences. Even without valid licences, morons won't stop driving carelessly and running riot on the roads.

Hence, while punitive actions are always welcome, it is the implementation of preventive measures that will bring order on the streets.

On a lighter note, what are the chances of this well-intentioned cop agreeing to a short stint in Pune so that a few heads could be saved? {(* (Pune Citizens form committee to oppose mandatory helmet rule).}

Pune, where incidentally, a similar rule was said to have been proposed recently. {* (Pune: Driving on the wrong side of the road may attract 6 month jail term)}
dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 13:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Our roads and pavements are considered 'baap ka maal' or worse by most Indians. This combined with our attitude of sticking our tongue out to the law till spanked on the rear has led to the chaos on our roads and the aggressive impudence with which rules are broken by the educated and the uneducated. It is not that we are incapable of obeying rules and we do obey them when we know the danda will come down hard. Power to the cops in Ahmedabad and Pune. I hope they set a target - 1000 DL's to be cancelled each day in each city.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 14:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Not only wrong side driving, but Ahmedabad police is geared up to ban DL for offences like no seat belt, use of a cell phone during driving, drink and drive, no parking and overspeeding.
I'd agree with everything, would even add signal jumping to the list. I find life ban for 2 parking offenses a bit too steep.

This should also apply to equivalent offenses for other type vehicles as well.

Hope other cities follow suit as well.

PS: The picture seems to from Gurgaon, with HR license plates on the vehicles pictured.

Last edited by narayans80 : 20th December 2018 at 14:06.
Old 20th December 2018, 14:23   #6
BHPian

The laws are excellent. It's how they are applied which gets tricky. Selective and inconsistent application render these laws useless. Driving in Ahmedabad will remain nightmarish unless they are enforced consistently and indiscriminately.
vroomsome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 15:03   #7
BHPian

Awesome. If implemented well, I hope the law finds its way to other Indian cities as well.

As other have pointed, the implementation MIGHT get riddled with corruption for many that might see opportunity to make their "hay."

For instance, I am told, but not sure if it really is true or to what extent it could be - Apparently cops in B'lore pay big money to get posted in some good zones - MG road, Brigade Road, Residency Road, Chickpet area and avenue road, KR market area etc. Supposedly these zones (among few others) allow them to earn "massive" revenues.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 15:04   #8
BHPian

Kudos to Ahmedabad Traffic police. They have been doing great job from past 6-7 months & I can observe improving civic sense on roads each passing day.
Old 20th December 2018, 16:34   #9
BHPian

Wrong side riding is a menace and though initially we only found bikers doing it now even in Vadodara we can see cars driving wrong side with head lights flashing (as if doing that makes it legal).

I once almost had a scuffle with a driver whom I blocked. He screamed about why I blocked him when he was flashing his lights! I hope this is strictly followed. I mainly use my bike for commuting and it is highly risky since as it is we are squeezed from traffic moving in our own direction. The wrong side drivers/riders make my blood boil.

I genuinely hope at the very least, heavy fines are levied or vehicles are impounded for this.
Vikram8891 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 16:54   #10
BHPian

Excellent move “IF” they are able to implement this as efficiently as it is written on the article.

Over the last couple of months, the cops have been pretty serious about parking vehicles on the no-parking zones.

Also, I would really like to see how “Amdavadis” are going to react to this. For all those who are unaware, here most of the population thinks that driving on the wrong side is not an offence and they have all the right to do that. Even the cops do not care about this on a lot of busy cross-roads.
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 18:07   #11
HrB
BHPian

Rather than cancelling the license, which can be a life saving skill during medical emergencies, I'd prefer very steep fines for such offenses. And why after two violations? Hefty fines in the tune of Rs 5000 - Rs 10000 or more, depending on nature of violation, should be made the norm against each offense.

No collection of fine by the cops though. Fine must be submitted at the courts within stipulated time frame. Prevailing fines of 100, 200 or 500 etc can be and is paid off easily on the spot which makes it very convenient for the offender. People with money are not bothered by such meagre amount. With the way Indians drive, the Govt. won't need to collect other taxes if this is actually implemented IMO.
HrB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 18:09   #12
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Great initiative, Gujarat Police and RTO have shown the will/intent, now it needs operationalization with strict enforcement. All over India, wrong side driving/riding has become sort of an uncontrollable malady plaguing us.

Just this evening while returning home on the scooter, before merging on to a main road from a cross road at a T junction (road is a one way so I need to make a right turn), I see a zippy scooterist heading in the wrong direction (directly in my path where I'd make the turn), so just let him pass and then turned, sigh! The ones on the wrong side actually enjoy right of way, but don't realize or care how they're endangering themselves and others on the road.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 21:26   #13
BHPian

A good initiative by the Gujarat Police. Here, in Chennai, Wrong side driving particularly by Bikes and Autos is increasing and is more prominent during School timings. And worse, all these happens in front of the Cops who are doing duty. What they fail to understand is that by trying save some few minutes and money, not only their life is at risk but also the life of other road users.
DImPo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 00:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Strict Driving license test and strict enforcement of road rules is a welcome move anyday to make our roads safer.

Based on my last experience of driving in Gujarat, the driving sense and adherance to road rules especially at traffic signals is pathetic. Very contrasting to an otherwise nice and orderly state full of smart people

Last edited by for_cars1 : 21st December 2018 at 00:43.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 21:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gujarat: Repeated wrong side driving will attract life ban on DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
...Ahmedabad police is geared up to ban DL for offences like...drink and drive...
How common is drink-and-drive in Ahmedabad, or for that matter, the whole of Gujarat, nowadays, considering that it is a dry state?

Most Viewed