Team-BHP - True 5 seaters: Affordable cars with five 3-point seatbelts & headrests
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   True 5 seaters: Affordable cars with five 3-point seatbelts & headrests (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/205159-true-5-seaters-affordable-cars-five-3-point-seatbelts-headrests.html)

While cars flaunt gadgets and convenience features, a glaring absence noticed in most affordable cars is a proper headrest and 3-point seatbelt for the rear middle passenger. I can clearly see in Indian versions of global cars (my Polo for eg) that the first swap is the 3-point seatbelt with a lap belt and out goes the headrest :Frustrati

The fact that sunroof and larger touchscreens are finding their way into cheaper cars is cringeworthy when OEMs don't care for the 5th passenger. I think OEMs should be shamed and flayed on TeamBHP reviews, if ignoring safety of the middle passenger.

Incidentally, I noticed the Toyota Etios cab I was travelling in equipped thus.
True 5 seaters: Affordable cars with five 3-point seatbelts & headrests-img_20181225_150146.jpg

Is this the cheapest car to have safety considerations for the 5th passenger?
Which other cars this side of 20L don't discriminate against the 5th passenger?
Shouldn't regulation declare the permitted passenger capacity on the basis of the number of 3-point seatbelts and headrests?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Safety Section. Thanks for sharing!

In manufacturers' defense, they try to make the 5th adult passenger as uncomfortable as possible - rock hard backrest, odd contouring for buttocks and no room for resting legs. Next time, the 5th passenger would rather walk or take a bus.

I have seen some other cars with either 5th passenger headrest or 3 seat point seatbelts, but rarely both.

Renault Duster (5th passenger headrest)

True 5 seaters: Affordable cars with five 3-point seatbelts & headrests-renaultduster25.jpg

Chevrolet Optra (notice the 3 point seatbelt for 5th passenger on left hand corner, but no headrest)

True 5 seaters: Affordable cars with five 3-point seatbelts & headrests-dsc01909.jpg

Mahindra XUV 500: (5th passenger headrest)

True 5 seaters: Affordable cars with five 3-point seatbelts & headrests-mahindraxuv5oo25.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta has 2nd/3rd row headrests for the middle passenger I think. Including a 3 point seatbelt.

The problem is: we also want a rear arm-rest, and the driver should have a good view of the back from the IRVM.

Very few cars can seat three adults comfortably at the rear so the lack of a middle head-rest doesn't bother me as much as having a proper three-point seatbelt. The lack of it is a serious sore thumb in most cars today; almost all budget cars.

Years ago, I'd created this thread. No luck till date. :)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post2666101

Please someone post the 5th passenger seat of the Ford Endeavor, the contours/shape in seat is simply unworthy for a 5th passenger and a big SUV.

Mahindra Verito/ Vibe (Renault Logan) is also a true 5 seater, and there is a lap belt for the 5th passenger as well. Since Renault Duster and Lodgy is based on the same platform, they must be similar in seating and seatbelt arrangements.

Mahindra Verito/ Vibe
True 5 seaters: Affordable cars with five 3-point seatbelts & headrests-images-85.jpeg

Renault Duster (fixed headrest + lapbelt))
True 5 seaters: Affordable cars with five 3-point seatbelts & headrests-arabduster_top_side_cut_shot_changes_02.jpg.ximg.l_full_m.smart.jpg

Renault Lodgy (no headrest but lapbelt present)
True 5 seaters: Affordable cars with five 3-point seatbelts & headrests-images-86.jpeg

I assume the lap belt for the middle seat is present in most cars, headrest is usually missing. Maybe it's done to provide a clear view of the rear while viewing the rear view mirror, as the middle headrest would protrude quite a bit and obstruct the view and then there is cost cutting as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrongturn (Post 4519487)
Mahindra Verito/ Vibe (Renault Logan) is also a true 5 seater, and there is a lap belt for the 5th passenger as well.

A lap belt provides limited protection in a vehicular crash compared to a 3-point seatbelt and even the latter requires a headrest to minimise the whiplash associated with a crash. Hence the term 'true' 5 seater in this thread's context should be reserved for only for those providing both.

A well designed retracting middle headrest should address the visibility concern.

Glad you brought it up.
I was as surprised as you when I saw the 3 point belt in an Etios when I took a cab to the airport.
There are very few cars who offer this in Indian market.

Innova Crysta is a rare car that comes with proper adjustable headrests and 3 point seatbelts for all (be it 7 or 8 seater) passenger.

On a different note was at Toyota showroom today and there was big banner highlighting all safety features available in Toyota cars.

A good thread indeed. I've been really looking at this missing feature for a long time. A 3 point seatbelt is a must for middle passenger as he would suffer the most when it comes to a crash, upper and lower torso being thrown forward with a strong tether in middle. It'll lead to possible internal injuries to intestines, urinary bladder as well as spine. There is a thread where people have been trying to find out ways to convert a lap-belt into a 3 point seatbelt without any success. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4188114

It's present in developed nations. This should be made mandatory in India also. I don't think most of the companies will offer it by themselves as a standard fitment, their excuse would be that hardly anyone uses seatbelts in rear, why provide a 3 point seatbelt to middle one? https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...eat-belts.html

It's one of those strange ways that manufacturers try to do cost-cutting in India. I mean, how expensive is to provide a 3-point seatbelt for the rear middle seat? I guess none of the C-segment cars and below sold in India have this (maybe the Yaris got?). Even the Jeep Compass which costs above 25 lakhs on-road is providing a lap belt :Frustrati

Yes, Yaris and Etios have rear center 3 point seat belt and adjustable head rest.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Toyota is the only mainstream manufacturer (i.e. with models in the sub 10L bracket) that equips its cars with headrests and three point seatbelts for all passengers in every single model they sell.

Well done, indeed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 4532045)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Toyota is the only mainstream manufacturer (i.e. with models in the sub 10L bracket) that equips its cars with headrests and three point seatbelts for all passengers in every single model they sell.

Well done, indeed!

Just wondering if the Glanza has incorporated the 3 point seat belt for the middle passenger...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandabear (Post 5010524)
Just wondering if the Glanza has incorporated the 3 point seat belt for the middle passenger...

This was true only till the Etios twins were there. Those twins went from having fixed headrests in the beginning to adjustable headrests for 4 in the first facelift and then later for 5 passengers in the last facelift.

The Glanza and Urban Cruiser don't come with those.