Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 17:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts

According to a research conducted by Nissan India and SaveLIFE Foundation, more than 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts.

Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts-image-1-1.jpg

The results of an observational survey conducted in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Jaipur and Lucknow show that 98% passengers were not using rear seat belts, even though 70% were aware that seat belts were provided for back seat passengers. Also, only 27.7% respondents were aware that rear seat belt usage is mandated by law in India.

According to the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, 9,408 children lost their lives in road accidents in 2017, which translates to 26 child deaths per day. Two thirds of the respondents believed that Indian roads are unsafe for children and 91.4% felt the need for a strong child road safety law in India. While 92.8% were aware of the safety benefits of child helmets, only 20.1% owned one.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 17:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The results of an observational survey conducted in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Jaipur and Lucknow show that 98% passengers were not using rear seat belts
On city roads of Bangalore, ever since it was made mandatory (well earlier they weren't strict with enforcement), mostly more than 95% wear belts all the times at the drivers' seat.

Get out of the city on a regular or a long weekend and glance at the driver's seat heading towards a weekend destination and you will be shocked to learn that a lot of them don't bother to remain belted. Only yesterday I saw a parent in an Etios Cross start his car from the parking lot of the school, pull that belt from his back and wrap around his shoulder to waist while ignoring the lap part of it. One of those who want to wear belts to escape cops and not escape death.

Way back in 2006, when I alighted at Ahmedabad Airport and my relative came to receive me and we started for his home in his car, he noticed one of those many roundabouts (on Ahmedabad - Gandhinagar road) where cops used to stop motorists and fine them and then told me good that you too are belted because the law is quite strict there (Back then, this was limited to just Ahmedabad only while places like Rajkot they would laugh at you if you belted).

These examples reflect facts about how we are not ignorant but complacent about the seat belt law or even before law, how easily we take life for granted.

Even today whenever you pass smaller towns or villages in remote areas of many states, there is every possible chance that the onlookers will wonder if you are a foreigner in their lane seeing you wear belts. This is the level of typecasting which is apparent today only because many there don't even know what a seat belt can do! Here is where we can talk about ignorance.

This survey from cities doesn't matter to us - We very well know that educated folks (by books) know the value of seat belts and the same ignore it when they are beyond the city limits. Situation can only improve when the rules are mandatory and implemented across the country.

Karnataka has compulsory Pillion rider helmet rule only for limits of Bangalore Metropolitan Region Development Authority and city corporation limits of Mangalore, Mysore, Belgaum, Hubli-Dharwad and Gulbarga. This selective mandate is one of the major reasons why all don't treat a rule seriously.

Lastly, seat belts for all the passengers is another topic to discuss....

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th January 2019 at 17:18.
paragsachania is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 17:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I 'force' rear seat passengers in my cars to always wear their belts. This in a teen boys' carpool run in the morning, so you can well understand the rolling of eyes and cries of 'dude!' and 'broski!' when I announce 'belts on' :-)

Seriously, it is not only risky for the rear seat passengers (of course!), but also for the front seat occupiers from an unrestrained rear passenger hurtling forward.

An old but gold video from the UK:
itwasntme is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 17:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

Happy to be in the 10% on using rear seatbelts. I personally almost always wear it even when in the city and definitely on the highways. On highways at least I insist any rear passenger also buckles up.

For my 6 1/2 year old son, he is always only at the back and ALWAYS buckled in. If its a outstation drive, it is buckled + car seat.

I have never understood why people don't like using safety devices available. I mean if you can wear it in the front for legal reasons, why can't you wear it at the back as well??
Axe77 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 17:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Few affordable cars have a 3 point seat belt for the fifth passenger. Surely, OEMs have a pulse on the market
GeeTee TSI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 17:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
more than 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts.
There has been literally zero awareness on rear seat belt usage. And among mass market, there's only Etios twins that brought in 3-point seat belts for the middle passenger. Rest of the 200K odd cars sold month-on-month don't. So what do you expect?

It's only recently did I even mandate rear adult passengers to belt up on faster city runs and all highway runs.

If one wants to buy an internationally reputed child seat with glowing reviews, the choices are still limited. This market has hardly grown, though its far better than what it was 10 years back. I paid 35K for the combo seat (import duties and shipping from US) for my son and a much tolerable 13K for my daughter's booster.

I can't understand the fussing without taking any steps to improve it.
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 19:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

Over 90%? I'm sure that no. is closer to 100.

I've had to argue with literally everyone, friends and family alike, regarding wearing seatbelts on all seats in my car. Some grudgingly wear it only on highways, some find every excuse possible, some patronize me. Some even give me the "you should be ashamed of yourself" look, some ask if I'm going to drive really fast.

They make their displeasure known to me by removing the seatbelt way before we reach their destination.

Every cab or friend/relative's car I get into, I wear the seatbelt. Stop and remove the bench of the rear seat to pull out the hooks, if necessary.

Hopefully, this obsession reminds them to think about wearing them the next time they're in a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
On city roads of Bangalore, ever since it was made mandatory (well earlier they weren't strict with enforcement), mostly more than 95% wear belts all the times at the drivers' seat.
Saaarrr! How have you guys managed this? Can you please come over to Pune and get the wise folk here to wear helmets. Seatbelts seems like a battle for the next generation.
libranof1987 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 19:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Saaarrr! How have you guys managed this? Can you please come over to Pune and get the wise folk here to wear helmets. Seatbelts seems like a battle for the next generation.
Each time I am in Pune, the only grouse is encountering the 2 wheelers of Pune. That will be a separate thread .

On Seat Belts, I found it to be at par with Bangalore, at least in newer areas full of migrants and techies than the old Pune areas. I guess this is typical for any city that has witnessed growth over the last decade.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 19:44   #9
Team-BHP Support

Note that it says 'observational survey' and not 'oral survey'. No idea about the sample size but surveyors actually noticed that 10% of rear seat passengers were belted.
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 20:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
According to a research conducted by Nissan India and SaveLIFE Foundation, more than 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts.
When I read this headline, I was like - "No way, make that 98". And then I see this on the frst line -
Quote:
The results of an observational survey conducted in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Jaipur and Lucknow show that 98% passengers were not using rear seat belts
That sounds more like it.

Along with the cars, I feel buses should also have passenger seat belts. The bus/road quality has improved quite a bit, and it can be dangerous even in case of panic braking.
Quote:
According to a research conducted by Nissan India
I wish Nissan did some market research too, to get some better products to our shores! Sorry Nissan, couldn't resist!
Dry Ice is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 20:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I've had to argue with literally everyone, friends and family alike
Welcome to the bad men club. Unlike you, I probably don't even have patience to entertain displeasure.

A funny anecdote comes to mind talking about 'family' and 'seat belts'. My 4 year old son wakes up middle of the night a week or so back and starts crying, the reason was his stomach was paining since daddy put seat belt' This was like a week after a long drive when he was in seat belt the entire drive.

Quote:
Saaarrr! How have you guys managed this? Can you please come over to Pune and get the wise folk here to wear helmets. Seatbelts seems like a battle for the next generation
While helmet compliance is a problem here in Madras, atleast 50% don't or use it as an abdomen guard Driver seat belt compliance is quite good. Almost 49 of the 50 Uber drivers I've travelled with have worn seat belts.
narayans80 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 20:51   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

It is very unfortunate, but not surprising at all. India is not unique in any way when it comes to this sort of behavior.

The uptake by the general public of these sort of measures tends to take at least a generation.

I got my driving license in 1977. In those days, wearing seatbelts in the Netherlands was not mandatory. But a few years later did become mandatory. Initially driver/passenger and later all occupants.

My parents never ever wore a seat belt. They were both well educated, professionals, who would never break the law. But they never ever complied with the seatbelt requirement. I could not get them to buckle up.

It is the same for things, like smoking, drinking and driving. It takes at least a generation and 1-2 decades of constant enforcement and public campaigns before it becomes the norm/standard.

Latest along these lines: using your mobile phone whilst driving. For years in the Netherlands you can, legally, only use your mobile hands free and even that is discouraged. You would not believe the number of people I see in the driver seat with a phone held to their ear or looking at their devices.

It is the same thing over again, it takes a generation, 10-20 years for that sort of behavior to be changed.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 20:54   #13
BHPian

Indeed a very sad thing that just proves that we still have a long long way to go in terms of safety. Unfortunately, even I have experienced the stigma against seatbelts in general quite a lot of times. However, I always buckle up even before the vehicle starts moving. This has been such a reflex that I often find myself instinctively searching for a seatbelt even in movie theatres and when sitting on couches!

During my trip to Singapore last summer, I observed that the Cab drivers there refuse to move the car if any of the passengers have not buckled up. Compare that to our country where most cabs have seat covers fitted over the seatbelts!

Such lax attitude needs to stop and in a country like India, I feel only strict law enforcement will help this cause.
porsche_guy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 20:56   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I am in the 2% who wears a seat belt even in the rear seat. All family members also have to compulsorily buckle up if I am in the car. And my son used a car seat until he was about 4’ 8” in height.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to persuade colleagues and friends to wear seat belts - so I do transport passengers who are not wearing a belt while driving in Bombay. I do remind people before starting but concluded that I will lose all my friends if I insist on their wearing seat belts even on short urban trips.
Hayek is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 21:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Unfortunately, I have not been able to persuade colleagues and friends to wear seat belts - so I do transport passengers who are not wearing a belt while driving in Bombay. I do remind people before starting but concluded that I will lose all my friends if I insist on their wearing seat belts even on short urban trips.
Forward them all the videos that you have for seatbelt related accidents.
They will come onboard. I do the same.
But somehow I feel the seatbelt is cumbersome and dangerous for stout/fat people. My mom wears seatbelt when I drive but then the cross belt that comes from the c pillar above right across the shoulder ultimately lands right at the neck. I think in case of sudden stop the belt will press against the neck.
redcruiser is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks