Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety

Old 25th January 2019, 10:32   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Driving drunk? Hyderabad cops will tell your employer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
I don't understand why people are bringing privacy concerns into this. As long as you don't drink and drive, it shouldn't bother/affect you. Unless...
Unless those who have privacy concerns want to drink and drive?!

Again, seriously?! If you have nothing to hide, why should you bother about privacy?! Or one will only bother about privacy if they want to hide some wrongdoing? Neat conclusions.

Although I'm not one of those bothered by this proposal due to privacy concerns (and I've said that a few posts ago); heck, Google already knows more about me than my own Government, have to say this is another invalid inference.

Last edited by am1m : 25th January 2019 at 10:34.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2019, 10:51   #77
BHPian

Quote:
If shaming is what it takes for such people to never repeat it, so be it.
A crucial question is who should decide this for the whole population of the country? Courts, right? Main objection is to police disregarding law (and privacy) when they are the guardians of it. If tomorrow court orders to enforce public shaming as punishment, then it's the law and no one will be arguing.

Secondly, this action from police is so flawed and unfair for employed folks. What are they going to do in case of businessmen and unemployed people? Call their neighbours? IT folks are easy targets for almost everyone in this county and that's just sad.

Quote:
I don't understand why people are brining privacy concerns into this. As long as you don't drink and drive, it shouldn't bother/affect you. Unless...
Because it is a matter of privacy. Had it been "police arrested 100's of DUI suspects" kind of news, no one would be having a counter view.

And no one is suggesting any leniency for DUI crimes. Those who assume that have missed the point that people like me are trying to make.

It's not about DUI, it is about handing down a punishment which is NOT in the law!

Last edited by the_skyliner : 25th January 2019 at 10:53.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2019, 11:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Main objection is to police disregarding law (and privacy) when they are the guardians of it.

It's not about DUI, it is about handing down a punishment which is NOT in the law!
We are going around in circles. There are no valid privacy arguments behind which one can hide a conviction under a criminal offense.

There is no punishment beyond what the court has sentenced, proposed in the DCP's letter either.

Bringing privacy into this is a complete strawman.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2019, 12:43   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

This whole business of privacy baffles me? In this age of Google, geo-location, FaceBook, Aadhar and what have you people are worried about western style privacy ??? This privacy notion is a borrowed western concept prevalent in the minds of those who travel overseas or work in MNCs. If shaming with employers is effective that is what counts. Extreme situations like our law and order on roads require extreme measures. Safety of thousands on the road is more important than the privacy of one breaking the law. The pro-privacy seem to be arguing to win an intellectual debate.

If a pilot of XYZ Airlines flies drunk (or tries to) shouldn't the employer know? Why because he is putting the lives of 180 passengers at risk. Similarly if your DUI employee is putting innocents at risk why stop at employer - put his mugshot in the papers. Right to life is more important than right to privacy.

The US and some western countries have taken this notion of privacy to absurd lengths while at the same time building a database on every email sent. And we seem to be tailing them in some posts here.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2019, 15:31   #80
Senior - BHPian

When joining a new employment a police check is done on the recruit. Most companies do it. It is done discreetly but done all the same. Where is the privacy then? These days HR guys follow employees even on social media.

If this measure helps to curb DUI, I am all for it.
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2019, 19:33   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Some companies mandate their employees don't have a criminal record. Actions have consequences.
Vysakh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 14:39   #82
Senior - BHPian

Default Driving drunk? Hyderabad cops will tell your employer

Here is a drunk driving accident in Andhra Pradesh. This time a school bus.:

Sharing this article on this thread just to highlight this nuisance of DUI.

This time innocent school children the victims.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/scho...njured-1984171

The cops should do what ever it takes to get these drunk guys of the road.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 28th January 2019 at 14:42.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 10:16   #83
BHPian

This is not the way to handle this issue ie targeting the employees. While I agree that a large portion of the crowd around Cyberabad are IT folks, what is being done on the self employed folks and unruly brats of the rich and powerful ?

Being in the IT industry and having worked in NCR, Hyderabad and Chennai I agree that the IT and ITES are most innovative in breaking all the rules. But the law needs to view everyone equal, and that is missing in this case. It needs to be stringent and the same for everyone, so that everyone thinks twice before violating the law. The self driven haunted Land cruiser which mowed the poor people on the footpath is an excellent example where the the powerful go free while only the common man suffers. Had Salman(just an example since everyone knows the case, but could be anyone) been booked and put behind bars, would have sent a right message to the society. The same applies to politicians, and other powerful who are the ones who violate the law with impunity with a "do you know who I am" attitude.

BTW I do not drink, and hate those who violate the traffic rules or any law for that matter, but I see the govt going behind the easy targets rather than coming up proper laws and procedures, and its not just traffic, but in every aspect
raghu.t.k is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 12:34   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh
Some companies mandate their employees don't have a criminal record. Actions have consequences.
Then it is for the company to keep periodic checks on the employee's criminal (?) history. The police does not have any job in walking around the town issuing the details of charges put on every common citizen. And again even in legal terminology a crime has various classifications i)petty crimes ii)grevious crimes, then bailable offences, non-bailable offences, compoundable offences etc. So which "crime" part are these companies planning to consider as a serious offence (leading to termination of a job)? Even driving around with a valid license, and without "insurance cover" is a "crime" (which ideally requires an appearance in the magistrate court, but police have powers to "compound" that offence). IT Companies in India write too many things in their offer & appointment letters. God knows how many of them are really valid, and enforcable.

In countries like US companies/agencies also clearly tell what kind of crimes they consider real serious. They have the felony, misdamenaor kind of classification for easier use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k
but I see the govt going behind the easy targets rather than coming up proper laws and procedures, and its not just traffic, but in every aspect
Exactly! Way back in 1990s our local town had a Traffic Sub Inspector. His way of showing he has "arrived in the station" was to give MV petty cases to auto rickshaw drivers. This group were mainly young folks who have got auto rickshaws on loan, generally from lower sections of society and may have a poor family to feed. Even Rs. 100 would pinch their pockets. And in the very same town we had private buses which violated permit conditions, speed limits and passenger limits, and cared two hoots for the MV Act (in general). But no strong actions this group; because the "bus owners" had more money & time to spare, and also paid of the police regularly. The amount to be paid to various agents in bus stations, plus "monthly bonus" etc. were all known to pretty much every one in town.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 14:59   #85
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
...The police does not have any job in walking around the town issuing the details of charges put on every common citizen...
When you want to engage someone as your driver (for a day trip or as a regular driver) you would want to know how safe a driver that person is. Is that person often breaking traffic rules, has that person been caught driving under the influence of alcohol? Where do you get this information from?

When you would want to give your flat/house on rent, would you want to know what sort of a person you are giving your property to? Does that person have any criminal records? Does that person have a bad credit rating? Where do you get this information from?

When a colleague of yours asks for the key of your car/bike (assuming you are generous enough to share it), would you be happy to give it to a colleague who has offences of drunk driving/breaking traffic rules etc. against him/her?

What kind of research parents do before marrying their daughter/son off to someone and to what lengths they go?

Why do police demand that you should verify the criminal precedents and authenticity of people you appoint as house-maids, drivers, tenant etc.?

We expect our political leaders to declare all their criminal cases (even cases that are only registered and not necessarily proven yet) in their electoral affidavit.

Most companies have an appraisal system that puts on record what an employee has done or not done and that document is accessible to a lot of people and not just the employee and his/her manager.

Whenever someone breaks a rule/law, it is an issue because the act of breaking the law/rule is a public act which has direct or indirect consequences on public life and property. So why should the instances of someone being caught and punished for these be private? Why people do not cry privacy when all your financial transactions are tracked and given a credit rating (even wrong rating many times because a financial institute did not close the loop) and denied loans/credit cards etc. We have enough reasoning power to look up a person and see their "criminal records" and assess how that should affect our dealings with that person.

Given all this hue and cry about privacy, most of the newspapers all over the world should end with no news on "people breaking rules/laws" ever appearing on their pages. Do we see that anywhere in the world?

Last edited by pjbiju : 11th February 2019 at 15:04.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 16:02   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju
When you want to engage someone as your driver (for a day trip or as a regular driver) you would want to know how safe a driver that person is. Is that person often breaking traffic rules, has that person been caught driving under the influence of alcohol? Where do you get this information from?
If I want such information, I go to the police with an application to share the data they have on him . Then the police can oblige me with the information. The police generally do not come to my residential area with a list of "good" drivers and "bad" drivers. That is not the job of the police.

Quote:
So why should the instances of someone being caught and punished for these be private?
Police reports (including FIR & charge sheets) and the court documents (including the verdict) are all public documents. But the catch here is that none of these two instituitions (police and court) generally go around the town distributing these details to every single entity a guilty person is associated with it. If a company wants to get information about its employee,they can approach these instituitions and check the records.

The written law of the land (provisions of Sec 185 in MV Act, which is against drunken driving) is clear, unambiguous and does not differentiate the accused on the basis of race,religion,gender or social standing. Even if a state's chief minister can be tried under this section if the police can actually conjure up the courage to detect such an offence and then submit the charge sheet & evidence to the court. Where as this move from Cyberabad police is totally unclear (their own letter does not quote the legal sections which gives them the power to issue such a letter) and differentiates a person based on his employment (IT company employees only). What are they going to do against even a small time businessman like a grocer or a plumber who really does NOT work for any company? Sec 185 MV Act knows how to deal with such people in a neutral way, does Cyberabad police actions work in the same way? I don't think so.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote