Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2019, 13:50   #1
BHPian

Serious traffic offenders are being sent straight to JAIL in Hyderabad

First-time traffic offenders are being sent straight to JAIL in Hyderabad

Break a traffic rule, you’ll go straight to jail, even if it’s the first time that you’ve committed a traffic offence. This is exactly what is happening in Hyderabad, a city whose traffic rules are getting quite stringent.
Also, jail time being awarded to first time traffic offenders in Hyderabad is limited to a certain court in Kukatpally, whose judge is said to be extremely strict.

Recently, a man was sent to jail for riding a motorcycle without having a valid license, and he had to spend no less than 4 days in jail, which also houses other criminals for much more serious crimes.

Quote:

"But the judge while hearing the cases did not even look at me. He was awarding jail time to everyone who was caught for traffic violations. Some people got two days jail time extra for just not raising their hand. Some second-time offenders were given 20 days jail time."
Quote:
Chandrashekar, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cyberabad (traffic), said,

"I am seeing this trend of giving jail time to first-time offenders only in cases that go to the Kukatpally court. I’m not seeing this trend at other courts in the city. The judge is giving punishments prescribed by the law."
While the trend of sending first time traffic offenders directly to jail instead of merely fining them is yet to catch up in other courts of Hyderabad, and for that matter, other cities of India.

Jail for a first time minor traffic Offence
Seems a case of taking the Law too far. And somewhere down the line it kills the humanitarian aspect embedded within every Law of the constitution.

Won't these stringent punishments hike the corruption rates?
Festive times for those corrupt Traffic Hawaldars
Full Article

Last edited by JS Kwt : 2nd February 2019 at 14:14.
JS Kwt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 23:05   #2
BHPian

re: Serious traffic offenders are being sent straight to JAIL in Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
[center]
Break a traffic rule, you’ll go straight to jail, even if it’s the first time that you’ve committed a traffic offence.

Jail for a first time minor traffic Offence
Seems a case of taking the Law too far. And somewhere down the line it kills the humanitarian aspect embedded within every Law of the constitution.
Ha, earlier we had an instance of Police probably in commissioner rank sending letters to the HR of the company and intimating the work place that their employee broke the traffic rules and has been detained for a couple of day and now this. As far as law is concerned, there is no humanitarian aspects and offence is treated as an offence.

Rather than sending people to jail, they can use the counselling method they used to do earlier. Make ads on safety and traffic rules and air them on the TV's. It should start from the home.

On a side note, Who gives them these ideas? Hope other state traffic departments don't catch these and come up with more crude methods.
Old 3rd February 2019, 21:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^^^
Jolly good I say. Jump a red signal and enjoy a free stay for 4 days in the cooler will be something to remember. My vote for this Judge and the Hyderabad Police.

In India driving on the wrong side, jumping red signals and talking on the cell phone while driving (without a hands-free) are all involuntary attempts at endangering human life - not quite but close to being a failed attempt at involuntary man slaughter.

Counseling et al, as suggested above, can be pursued in parallel but nothing like the big stick to make us Indians behave. It is the only language we understand. Let us get real here - 5th largest or 4th largest auto market in the world and worlds 1st most dangerous 'state of traffic' country is a very potent combination. Bangalore needs it and so do Pune & Delhi-NCR.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 09:32. Reason: Edited for better readability
V.Narayan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 21:47   #4
BHPian

I don't think counselling, fines etc are really effective. The best way would probably be to ape the west and make offenders do a few weeks of community service. A fortnight of cleaning sulabh shauchalays will make sure the guy never violates another traffic rule. Instant jail sentences are imo the second best method. Brings to mind a line spoken in a movie by the very talented Javed Jaffrey: Ghosts of the kicks not listening to the talks.
Roy.S is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 09:19   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Serious traffic offenders are being sent straight to JAIL in Hyderabad

Based on what I've read, they have only sent those to jail who were driving without a licence or driving drunk. Well, I agree with the sentencing judge in this case.

Not only is it illegal to drive without a licence, but a car / bike can be a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. How would you feel if your family member was knocked down by a Jeep driven by someone without a driving licence? Another example - if he had to get into a serious accident or cause 3rd-party damage, the insurance company would reject the claim. He or she would then be personally liable for damage which could run into lakhs of rupees. Am sure the dude would prefer his 4-day jail stint instead of that turmoil.

Drunk driving with a high blood-alcohol level? Straight to jail. Absolutely no arguments there.

I'm on the side of the authorities in this case and the other one (Driving drunk? Hyderabad cops will tell your employer).
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 10:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with this!

Serious traffic offences like drunk driving, jumping a signal, riding on the footpath, going on the wrong side of the road or contrary to a one-way, reckless driving, driving without a license, definitely jail time! About time the law used it's teeth (as already prescribed by law) for traffic offences.

I agree that this is pretty much the only thing that will work here.

For the other minor traffic offences, I think this is a great idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
...make offenders do a few weeks of community service. A fortnight of cleaning sulabh shauchalays will make sure the guy never violates another traffic rule.

Last edited by am1m : 4th February 2019 at 10:34.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 11:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to the honourable Judge, and I hope other judges across the country start following the precedent.
Driving or Riding is a privilege, so people need to learn to treat it like one, and not like their birth-right.
The only thing I would caveat, is that the Evidencing aspect needs to be strengthened, than just statements or witnesses, to ensure that only the truly guilty are punished.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 11:32   #8
BHPian

Very welcome move by the judge. Driving without a license, driving intoxicated needs to be punished severely. Our country still associates the jail term with social stigma. Be it a day or a year. This should serve them a good lesson and at-least if it reduces the crime by half the numbers, it is a great move.

Also I read that Hyderabad traffic cops needs to wear body camera to treat citizens well and to reduce the bribes when they are in duty. If it is true, a big kudos to the government.
hema4saran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 11:50   #9
BHPian

We have brought this upon ourselves collectively. Across age groups, skin colour, gender, income levels, IQ levels, traffic rule violation is rampant and has reached ridiculous proportions. At so many junctions I see cops literally having to stand in the middle of the road to stop vehicles from jumping signals. Poor traffic marshals, who are outsourced workers don't get even that respect.

A traffic situation provides anonymity and easy escape. Will the same people try these stunts inside a big IT park or mess with the security personnel there? Have you noticed how well behaved every one is once inside? There is always the fear that they will be reported to their office. Only fear works.

I agree people can be wrongly stopped and punished. I have myself on occasions been asked to pull over for absolutely no rhyme or reason. Collateral damage or simply bad luck.
Malyaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 13:50   #10
Team-BHP Support

Honestly, we need more fear of the law in our country for traffic violations and I am all for such stringent punishment. Even if cop corruption increases because of this - think about it - its a deterrent in its own way. If you have to bribe 4 times the amount than what you previously had to, you're still going to think twice hopefully before breaking the law.

The state in Mumbai has become such that two wheelers are literally considering themselves above any required traffic obedience. Even on cop manned signals, they simply signal jump with impunity and the cops are so helpless they don't even try to question or stop them anymore for most part. You have to constantly watch out for two wheelers criss-crossing even when you're going through your designated green.
Axe77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 14:37   #11
BHPian

I see extreme behavior in India. First they let everybody scot-free causing extremely dangerous behavior and anarchy. Then you go the other extreme where you give extreme punishments for minor offences. Applauded by self styled righteous "intelligentsia" typing comfortably in their cocooned offices. Actually a primitive reactionary behavior triggered by "psychology of revenge" rather than a finely calibrated and thought out action to cause the desired change in behavior.

What happens when this is misinterpreted/misused. I once entered a junction at a green light. There was jam ahead, i could not move ahead and the light turned red again. I was caught by a cop and had to pay a fine. He would not listen to my argument.
JediKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 15:01   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
What happens when this is misinterpreted/misused.
That's a pretty good point. Must admit, got a bit carried away when I heard of some strict action finally being taken. The daily chaos I see everyday and the casual attitude towards really reckless driving/riding here in Bangalore - multiple bikers and even a couple of cars going the wrong way every single day just to escape a traffic light, bikers on the footpath, cabbies who think they own the road, etc. probably give rise to such emotions.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 15:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Drunk driving with a high blood-alcohol level? Straight to jail. Absolutely no arguments there. I'm on the side of the authorities in this case
Same here period, however the very thought that political interference may dilute this is what I hate to even think. Along with the JAIL, there has got to be a hefty FINE amount. This should be enough to send a strong message indicating that the above is a CRIME and no joke. Implementation is what we need now.
Old 4th February 2019, 16:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I see extreme behavior in India. First they let everybody scot-free causing extremely dangerous behavior and anarchy. Then you go the other extreme where you give extreme punishments for minor offences. Applauded by self styled righteous "intelligentsia" typing comfortably in their cocooned offices. Actually a primitive reactionary behavior triggered by "psychology of revenge" rather than a finely calibrated and thought out action to cause the desired change in behavior.

What happens when this is misinterpreted/misused. I once entered a junction at a green light. There was jam ahead, i could not move ahead and the light turned red again. I was caught by a cop and had to pay a fine. He would not listen to my argument.
Actually, being cocooned in an office and/or being part of the intelligentsia is irrelevant to supporting a certain kind of punishment. You will find people across the social spectrum supporting harsh punishment for anything under the sun. If at all, leniency and alternative therapies are ones which are likely to be associated with ‘intelligentsia’ and ‘cocooned’ people. Why is a harsher punishment more revenge like than a fine? A harsher punishment is only an indicator that the existing deterrents are not working. Agreed, at some point we need to run alternative measures to change people’s behaviour. Till the time we have danda as the only option, we might as well use it. I don’t think anyone is asking for imprisonment for jumping a signal, but for more serious offences.
Old 4th February 2019, 16:57   #15
BHPian

I saw one BHPian raising his concern about increased corruption among constables. I see the other side of the coin. It will also decrease the number of offenders.

Also it is very difficult to determine the number of violations done in the past because I've never seen anyone's paper / card license having any remark. Now days Maharashtra police directly challan online and one can view their vehicle history online.

Apart from this, I am on authorities side in this case but concrete evidences must be produced in court and 4 days imprisonment is just way too much for minor violations. There should be some provisions for jaywalkers and cyclists too.

If you ask my way, I would like to detain that person for 2 hours and increase the fine 4 fold. This punishment is more than enough for 90% of violators.
dicor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks