Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2019, 09:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Survivor's tale: Honda City jumps divider and flies into my Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity View Post

As it was a new car with just 10000 km on the odo and more than Rs. 12,50,000 of IDV, the insurance company (Royal Sundaram) processed the claim for repair. It has been over 2 months and the car is still in the service centre. The insurance surveyor will be inspecting the car today. Hopefully, I will get the car by this weekend.
What I meant from inspection here is that the car has been repaired and surveyor will be inspecting it before processing the payment from insurance company. Sorry about confusion. It's just the finishing touches which are left now. Service Centre people say that car seats are not coming from Hyundai despite order being placed by them. It is really surprising that there is delay in supplying seats as it is an existing model and they must be manufacturing it daily. We will call Hyundai to confirm the same from them if there has been delay at their end or it was the service centre being lazy.

Further, we are thinking of writing to Hyundai for visit by their technical expert/team to inspect/certify the repair work done by the service centre. There is a Hyundai India Quality and Training Centre in Faridabad. I hope they will send someone to inspect the job.

Any contact details for relevant person from Hyundai India will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th March 2019 at 17:32. Reason: Typo
Amity is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 10:22   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On 02.01.2019, when my brother had gone to police chowki to collect our car for sending it to service centre, that driver (around 30 years old) was sitting there. He had no remorse whatsoever and his father-in-law even said that cars are to be driven at 100-150 kmph.
If his statements or his F-I-L's statements are on record, can a FIR be lodged? What kind of evolution is the human species seeing?

I am glad and thankful to the super power which made you survive and I must say, the Creta took the impact well. Few days back, I saw a video [it was viral] of a similar accident and this is one place, where any driver can not do anything. I drive/ride defensively, anticipate, but I can't account for drivers in the other lane.

We need really stringent driving tests which should be followed and no DL's are delivered at your home, we need that.

I see LPG/water delivery guys driving 3 wheelers and I am sure they don't have any sort of license, but who would enforce it? Its a mess, a vicious circle.

Drive Safe and Welcome to Team-BHP, stay blessed .
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 10:22   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Furhter, we are thinking of writing to Hyundai for visit by their technical expert/team to inspect/certify the repair work done by the service centre. There is a Hyundai India Quality and Training Centre in Faridabad. I hope they will send someone to inspect the job.
Good to know you got out of this without any major injury.

However, I am unable to fathom how this car was repaired. There is absolutely nothing left of the body shell and the entire structure has given way.

This car is nowhere close to road worthy unless they built you a new car on a new body shell. This body shell in that state even after whatever repairs they do is undrivable. There will be ZERO safety and protection if this car has been repaired.

The Insurance company that denied total loss and agreed for repair should be sued. What is the point of taking zero dep insurance on a new car with full IDV if they repair it for accidents like this.
Vid6639 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 10:43   #34
Team-BHP Support

God! You are so blessed by luck and your wife.

I think it is unethical for either the insurance company and the dealer to actually repair the car. You need a totally new body shell and am not sure if Hyundai even sell such an item. Also if it is a new item, what is the VIN number stamped on in.

I would insist the dealer do a high pressure water jet spray of the car in your presence and you inspect inside for leaks due to misalignments. Also if possible, jack up the car at various points and open and close the doors to see if the repair is stiff enough.
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 11:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Good to know you got out of this without any major injury.

However, I am unable to fathom how this car was repaired. There is absolutely nothing left of the body shell and the entire structure has given way.
Although not damaged to that extent but this video kind of gives a good idea on how extensively an accidental car gets thoroughly repaired which will be overlooked unless one has a keen eye.

RavSam is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 11:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On 02.01.2019, when my brother had gone to police chowki to collect our car for sending it to the service center, that driver (around 30 years old) was sitting there. He had no remorse whatsoever and his father-in-law even said that cars are to be driven at 100-150 kmph.
These people are not even fit to be called human beings. The driver must be charged with the harshest punishment, hope they do not influence the police and escape.
Welcome to the fraternity, you are one lucky chap to escape an accident of this magnitude. Kudos to your better half for her presence of mind.
I would never recommend using that car again. The Insurance company must be challenged in the court of law.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 12:28   #37
BHPian

Glad that you survived, I wish you have recovered fully. As an accident survivor myself, I totally understand the horror. God has given us a new life, there is something to retrospect, may be there is something to full fill.

This being a technical forum may be we can discuss what could have prevented such an accident.
1. Proper design of median ?
2. Proper signage ?
3. Improved guardrails design that are better at absorbing the impact from a vehicle crash ?
4. Factory fit speed limiter, intelligent speed adaptation ?
5. Law enforcement : Punishment, canceling reckless driver's license ?

The crash tests majorly focus on full frontal, side impact and roll over scenarios, but this case is out of the blue and not sure if any car manufacturer can design the roof super strong to withstand such impact.

From a humanitarian perspective, we must thank those souls who helped us. Unfortunately, 99% of crowd is only interested to watch and share the sensation in social media. wondering, what happened to our values, why have we evolved so merciless. Even animals cry if some of their kind is in trouble.

Since I survived the crash, I never walk away from accident scene, it is my duty to help. After all I wouldn't be here if some good Samaritan had not acted on time.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 12th March 2019 at 12:33.
Thermodynamics is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 12:45   #38
Team-BHP Support

Wow, that's quite an accident, glad to know you are safe now.

But how in the world did they repair a monocoque vehicle with damage like that. Its just beyond me, and I would not feel safe driving in a car like that.

I understand you have been through a lot, but do look into taking Hyundai and the insurance company to task, since I believe this should have been a total loss.
Akshay1234 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 12:58   #39
BHPian

Glad to know that you are safe. I admire you for having the strength to write the post. I wish you and your wife all the best and pray for your speedy recovery both physically and mentally.

It is so scary when driving on an Indian highway with vehicles coming in opposite directions, tractors, cattle etc. It is high time the government starts severely prosecuting people who create such as accidents. I was shocked to hear on your post that the Honda City's father in law said cars are MEANT to be driven at 100-150 kmph!

These are the characters whose licenses should be confiscated and never given back. The problem is in the small villages, inhabitants may not even possess a license and the cops are hand in glove with them.

Last edited by motorguy : 12th March 2019 at 13:13.
motorguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 12:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Amity,

It's a miracle you survived this accident. Your car looks horrible in the pics. Glad you have recovered from it.

I agree with everyone above. That car shouldn't have been repaired. It's an open and shut case for total loss. The structural integrity of the repaired car will be severely compromised from factory specs. You shouldn't have agreed to get this repair done at all. Hyundai and insurance company will be definitely aware of this. In spite of that they went ahead with repairs which is grossly unethical.

Total loss if we find buyer for 3-4 lakhs or else repair is a totally outrageous stand by insurance people. Which insurance company is this? Also can you share details of repairs carried out and the initial repair estimate given by dealership?
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 13:33   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
These people are not even fit to be called human beings. ... ... ...
It would be pretty tough to defend this guy's behaviour after the accident and I'm not going to even try. It is indefensible even if the whole thing was not his fault. The best that can be said is that, although uninjured, he must have been in a state of shock too.

The story begins with an airborne car. We don't have any clue why it was airborne. Big question: what happened to bring this accident about?

I suppose the guy will tell his story to the police. He hasn't exactly established himself as a good witness with his every-body-else's fault attitude. So I guess we'll never, reliably, know.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 13:45   #42
BHPian

Glad that your wife and you are safe. I generally dislike over policing and speed limits but this particular road needs better policing and checks. I have stopped using this stretch because of the number of hooligans per km is perhaps the highest on this stretch than anywhere I have been. Every weekend young (some at heart), high on adrenaline, racers (most without training or technique) race here. Be it bikes, cars or anything on wheels they just go crazy without any care or concern for others around them.
Old 12th March 2019, 14:03   #43
BHPian

I have seen many accidents on that very spot.

People come down fast and cannot turn as high speed. They end up going straight and jumping across.
Attached Thumbnails
Survivor's tale: Honda City jumps divider and flies into my Hyundai Creta-fbd.jpg  

aerohit is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 14:22   #44
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Good lord! How on earth is that car getting repaired! What exactly is this repair?
I'm also curious to know as to how the Hyundai Service Centre has "repaired" a car which had it's roof torn off!

Did they replace the whole shell?? Or just welded in a new roof from the base of A & B pillars? There's no way they've used that crumpled roof again!
Old 12th March 2019, 14:35   #45
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post

This is one of the clear reason why we can't skimp of build quality of the cars we buy. It is the build quality of the Creta that saved you. Most cars would have had much severe damage than this
Can experts on this forum throw some insights on the role of Headrests in absorbing the impact of heavy objects landing on the roof Or in case the car turns turtle?

This particular case of the accident re-establishes the importance of driving with the Headrest adjusted to the proper height.
beast_within is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks