Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2019, 09:00   #91
BHPian

Re: Survivor's tale: Honda City jumps divider and flies into my Hyundai Creta

@ Amity, the quick thinking and your wife’s persistence saved you on that fateful day. As a neurosurgeon I routinely come across patients who reach the hospital , albeit late. Looking at the car pictures reminds me about an incident my BIL underwent a few months ago. Incidentally his was a face lifted Creta as well. A tree branch happened to land on the moving car while he was in the car with his better half. The car roof was repaired under warranty with an estimated cost of approx 4-5 lakhs to the insurance provider in 3 months. That were very lucky as well and suffered nothing more than scratches.
Attached Thumbnails
Survivor's tale: Honda City jumps divider and flies into my Hyundai Creta-40f742b379bd4a18ad3bfd38efe6fbe1.jpeg  

Survivor's tale: Honda City jumps divider and flies into my Hyundai Creta-97bce6372ed1425bb845eee5fd859e1e.jpeg  

Survivor's tale: Honda City jumps divider and flies into my Hyundai Creta-724bf10f605f4c66b6805048e3ee3d8f.jpeg  

Survivor's tale: Honda City jumps divider and flies into my Hyundai Creta-967ff17281854f85af85026d5e58b2d5.jpeg  

sharad_kmc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 15:32   #92
BHPian

Amity, welcome back & kudos to your wife really. I expect better from the Indian passerby and pedestrian. I do a lot of animal welfare and it’s the same state of affairs. Nobody wants to help or take some responsibility.

Take care mate and here’s to your second innings.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 16:09   #93
BHPian

Those photo's look horrific & I am glad that you are here, hearty & healthy, to narrate the accident.

Special mention of your better or rather best half to maintain composure even in such scenario which led to you being there to tell the tale.

Streets are full of morons & we need serious slice of luck along-with all the safety features.

Cheers to your 2nd innings buddy & yes, that car cannot be 100% road worthy for what it has gone through. Pls take a prudent call on way forward with this car.
yogeshsom29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 21:20   #94
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity View Post

City driver escaped with very minor injuries, mostly scratches. As per the policeman, he even tried to flee the scene in his car but could not do so because of damage to his car. The policeman told me that he even tried to blame me for the accident and told them that the motorcyclist was killed because of my car. Police says that he was not drunk at the time of accident.

On 02.01.2019, when my brother had gone to police chowki to collect our car for sending it to service centre, that driver (around 30 years old) was sitting there. He had no remorse whatsoever and his father-in-law even said that cars are to be driven at 100-150 kmph.
Kindly let us know about what happens to.this genius. What happened to you is sheer providence. What happens to this son of a joker is what you should focus on.
Old 20th March 2019, 17:36   #95
BHPian

Seeing this thread reminds of me of the show '1000 ways to die'

I'm not particularly religious but the fact that Amity survived this accident (full credit to his wife and the good guy taxi driver) shows that if there is a higher power out there, it was on his side that fateful day.

The best we can do is wear seatbelts, buy cars with maximum safety features and put our money where our mouth is. Let manufacturers realise that there is a demand for cars with safety features.

Meanwhile, this is a classic example of a manufacturer showing stupidity.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...tatements.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharad_kmc View Post
@ Amity, the quick thinking and your wife’s persistence saved you on that fateful day. As a neurosurgeon I routinely come across patients who reach the hospital , albeit late. Looking at the car pictures reminds me about an incident my BIL underwent a few months ago. Incidentally his was a face lifted Creta as well. A tree branch happened to land on the moving car while he was in the car with his better half. The car roof was repaired under warranty with an estimated cost of approx 4-5 lakhs to the insurance provider in 3 months. That were very lucky as well and suffered nothing more than scratches.
This is just freaky. Can you give more details. Were they driving along a highway or on city roads ? I assume they were at low speeds when this branch just made its way into their cabin through the roof ?

Last edited by SDP : 22nd March 2019 at 10:47. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Aviationshark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 19:02   #96
BHPian

They were driving at 20 within city limits. The car as slow as they had just taken a turn. The branch was a low lying one and he used to pass by that road twice a day. I guess the branch had come lower with the cyclonic weather. Visibility was good and BIL claims he never saw the thing in the windshield.
Old 20th March 2019, 20:40   #97
BHPian

Oh my god. Thank goodness that you're back on your feet. The crash looks horrendous. Judging from the pictures, the insurance company should be replacing the car. I dont understand which part of "completely compromised structure" they didn't understand. Even if the car was repaired, its safety in the long run still remains a concern.

Please try to get the company to issue a replacement if not already discussed. I haven't gone through all the intervening post, and i apologise in advance if somebody else has already asked you this.

Drive Safe
Old 21st March 2019, 22:43   #98
BHPian

Hi Amity, you are very lucky indeed. Damage to the car is extensive, entire roof and door on your side has crashed in. You could have been grievously injured, or more. As many have said the car should have been declared total lose and full IDV paid to you.

Not doubting your narration but one portion is unclear to me. I have been through this road few times. I understand you are driving towards Gurgaon and your side of the road is at lower level. After you were injured and unconscious you said your car crossed the median on to the other side. I just am not sure how this is possible. Did I misunderstand something?
Old 22nd March 2019, 00:59   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity View Post
This is my first post on the forum. I will be writing about an accident which happened with me at the end of last year. This may be a long post. [Moderators, sorry if there are any mistakes.]
Congratulations on your near-rebirth man. To survive such an accident is nothing short of a miracle!

That said, I wonder if the Creta was made by Mr Mahindra, you would've been gifted a new Creta by him personally.

It has taken the accident WAY better than anyone would've thought. No Euro/Global NCAP tests for such freak accidents - a Honda city impacting the A pillar is way beyond any design considerations! Makes me worry about my own Ford Aspire purchase.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 14:12   #100
BHPian

Amity,
For sure you have got a rebirth. So glad you are back on your feet and at the wheel.
Hats off to your wife's courage and persistence which saved you.
I don't know what all repairs are needed and how much it will cost, but the best thing is you are alive ! Good luck to you both !
Old 29th March 2019, 17:56   #101
BHPian

Welcome Amity,

it is with god's grace that you survived this horrific accident. I use this road for my commute to office daily and I can attest that it has some really crazy drivers going full blast regardless of road condition or traffic.
I have seen this road being built. it was finished at record pace and built really well, as it has survived for almost five years without resurfacing.
Most of the stretches of the road have been properly graded but the area where Amity had his accident is one where I feel they erred in providing the correct grade. The road is not as banked as it should be, given the steepness of the descent and the curve right after. This is the original 2 lane road which has been slightly improved in grade and otherwise used as such. There is no signage warning drivers of the steep descent or the curve. in fact the curve before this, near the soil research institute is also without any signage and I regularly have to warn the cab drivers to slow down for the turns. The first rumble strip is not visible from a distance and induces either panic braking or disregard from the drivers. Due to the descent, it is possible to pick up speed quickly and hit the second strip at a decent speed, not appropriate for the turn. and in the second case of disregarding the first strip, the second strip is liable to be disregarded as well. in fact I have noticed the drivers fail to register the turn properly since the visibility is limited here.
We used to see at least one dumper a week, hung on the divider when the road was first completed. apparently things have improved now, but drivers not familiar with the route are bound to create situations like the one you found yourself in.
secondly, I do not think barriers can stop a heavy SUV or a truck from entering the other lane.
IMHO, it is high time this issue is raised with the authorities and the descent lane is also put alongside the road going up. that would reduce the risk everyone faces negotiating that curve.
Old 1st April 2019, 17:26   #102

Thank god, seeing the condition of your creta, it is nerve shivering.
Anyway at such situation, we are helpless. People should follow defensive driving wrt the speed limit on the road.
Generally banking on turning given with the calculation of the speed limit marked there. Higher banking for higher speed also not good and not safe. One should not exceed the speed limit especially on turning.
Old 23rd July 2019, 15:33   #103
BHPian

Sorry, Folks. I haven't been able to reply to the thread for a long time. I finally got the car back from Service Centre on 29.03.2019 (after almost three months), not without continuous follow-ups with surveyor and service centre. Some of my claims, for add on covers, are still pending with insurance company for which I have been following up with them. An image of the car as received from service centre and parked in front of home is attached.

The car is primarily used by my brother and has largely been running fine (fingers crossed). The service centre has been prompt in dealing with any issues faced in the car with respect to repair work. The third service has also been done for the car. We do not intend to keep the car for a long time and hopefully, will be replacing it within a year, waiting for Kia Seltos launch, and then a decision will be taken.

There is a Hyundai India Quality Centre in Faridabad and I have been trying to get it checked from the centre as to the quality of work done by Service Centre. Any help on this front will be appreciated.

Litigation:
Police has filed a criminal case; and also filed a case in MACT Court for compensation on my behalf. The deceased biker's family has also filed a case in MACT Court for compensation and surprisingly, I have been made one of the respondents. An application has also been filed by me for compensation before MACT Court. All these MACT Court matters have been tagged together and are now listed for hearing in August.
In the criminal case, I and my wife had received summons for appearing as Prosecution Witness last week. We reached there on time. After waiting for more than 1.5 hours, the advocate for the accused driver came and filed an exemption application. The Court allowed the said exemption, with nominal costs on accused to be paid to me and my wife, and now we have to appear again on next date in September for recording our evidence and hopefully we will be discharged.
Attached Thumbnails
Survivor's tale: Honda City jumps divider and flies into my Hyundai Creta-creta-30.03.2019.jpg  

Amity is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 15:47   #104
Senior - BHPian

The legal story seems to be nothing out of the ordinary.

Get a good lawyer if you haven't done already and see if you can avoid wasting your time by going to the court for every hearing. Getting tareekh pe tareekh is the usual ploy by defence lawyers and the courts do nothing to discourage that.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 16:06   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The legal story seems to be nothing out of the ordinary.

Get a good lawyer if you haven't done already and see if you can avoid wasting your time by going to the court for every hearing. Getting tareekh pe tareekh is the usual ploy by defence lawyers and the courts do nothing to discourage that.
In the MACT proceedings, I have engaged an advocate and I am not required to appear on every date.

In criminal proceedings, we have been called as Prosecution Witnesses and no advocate is required in such instances. Hopefully, our examination-in-chief & cross-examination will be done by next date and we will be discharged from further appearances.
Amity is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed