Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 16:34   #31
BANNED

Re: High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured

Seatbelts save lives, people.
The unbelted deceased could have killed others in the car too. Which is why I do not drive if any rear passenger isn't belted up. Hey I don't care if you have a death wish, but I'm not going to suffer for it.
Definitely not 100/100 times. Exceptions always happen.

Honestly if you look at it. The car isn't that bad. Total loss sure, but not enough to kill a belted person. Which the evidence does support
H_Dogg72 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 17:05   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured

One needs to spare a thought for the plight of the toll-booth employees. As it is, they deal with tired drivers who ram their booths absent-mindedly. I have myself swiped my Swift at a toll booth albeit at a low speed when I pulled in to pay the toll.

But an overspeeding vehicle which shows no sign of stopping? That is their nightmare scenario.

Some dolt did something like this in Massachusetts in 2016 and ended up killing a Massachusetts state transportation employee who was manning a toll booth.

That was the event which spurred turning all highways in the state into ones with automated toll collections. There are no more manned toll booths there. Every vehicle's plate is photographed; if there is a matching EZ-pass (their version of fastag) with that number plate, the pass gets charged for the toll electronically. If there's no EZ-pass linked, you'll find a snail-mailed toll bill at the address where your vehicle is registered to be in.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 17:25   #33
BHPian

He could not test drive safely and he was planning to buy one !

I have not experienced that stretch, hence I will refrain from commenting on bad design etc. But as someone has mentioned in one of the posts, if a 1000 cars pass that safely and only one crashes, whom do we blame?
Old 27th March 2019, 17:43   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
But as someone has mentioned in one of the posts, if a 1000 cars pass that safely and only one crashes, whom do we blame?
Not 1000 but 100000 cars pass this safely and they are regulars. This one was a Test Drive car, a powerful one at that. That is the difference.

Let 10000 Test drive cars be allowed to use this stretch only for the purpose of test drive and the difference will be seen.

There is a LOT of difference between regular traffic that passes this stretch on everyday basis and that one TD car with lots of power and the monetary adrenaline rush.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 17:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
He could not test drive safely and he was planning to buy one !
Apparently it wasn't the prospective owner who was at the wheel, but a 'friend' of his. The prospective owner didn't belt up and was among the deceased.
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 19:01   #36
BHPian

I have driven only two times on NICE road, Bangalore, so I won't comment on the design of the road whether its scientific or not. However, I totally disagree that the road has a pathetic surface. Come on, by and large the surface of NICE road is good despite some undulations on certain stretches. At times, I don't understand what kind of surface some people really expect the roads to be built of, that of vitrified tiles ?? !!

By the way, isn't there any sign board indicating that there is a toll booth ahead on this particular stretch ?? Did the RR driver miss seeing it due to his high speeds ??
Old 27th March 2019, 19:10   #37
BHPian

One of the Sources mentioned that Sagar was not driving, his friend was on the driver's seat and he survived as he was belted. Sagar's wife is got spine injuries and seems to be paralyzed.
Old 27th March 2019, 19:10   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I totally disagree that the road has a pathetic surface.
In general, the surface right from clover leaf interchange till Mysore road exit (5 Km) and clover leaf interchange till PESIT (8 Km) exit is fully concrete and perfect. Realistically, the whole NICE corridor was supposed to be concrete but it isn't.

The rest of the sections are standard asphalt that develops bad potholes and rough surface in rains as the water flows. When you drove (after we met) could be termed as the best surface (seasonal) for NICE .

Forget about the how scientific the design is - Markings, exit, merging etc, this is something you would agree after driving at various times of the day .
Quote:
By the way, isn't there any sign board indicating that there is a toll booth ahead on this particular stretch ?? Did the RR driver miss seeing it due to his high speeds ??
I will get one picture do the talking:
High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured-pesit-toll-board.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th March 2019 at 19:14.
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 19:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This one was a Test Drive car, a powerful one at that. That is the difference.

Let 10000 Test drive cars be allowed to use this stretch only for the purpose of test drive and the difference will be seen.

Most Bangaloreons will use this road for test drive. Although, i am not sure if this stretch in particular, I can confidently say NICE road IS our test drive road in Bangalore.

Secondly, it is known fact that the road is NOT constructed for test drive perse BUT for normal commute.
So, we can not blame the road for not supporting the speed.

Last edited by gkveda : 27th March 2019 at 19:36.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 19:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

I stay in RR Nagar and on some quiet days (mostly Sundays) I can hear the bikes and exotic car sounds. The concrete stretch from toll booth till the clove exchange is used a lot for testing speed.

Although, this is different, I feel sad and sorry and not sure how long he was driving fast and for how much distance. Maybe the people still in hospital can clarify on that part.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 19:51   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I will get one picture do the talking:
Attachment 1863696
Whether the prospective buyer or his friend was driving, I doubt if they were even thinking of anything other than "Let's check the car's X, Y, Z capabilities".

Unfortunately if something goes wrong, fate does not distinguish between a test drive car and regular commuters or a high speed Range Rover and an Auto rickshaw.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 21:45   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Sadly he has a wife and kid who were in the car as well who escaped. The wife suffered a broken spine.
Ohmygod.

I was blunt about having no sympathy for this guy removing himself from the gene pool --- but he has left a child needing care and a wife probably needing long-term and expensive medical care. This is depressing news indeed.

Please, everyone... It is never worth pushing that pedal down in a car you don't know. This human tragedy is a lesson to all.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 23:25   #43
BHPian

This is pathetic behaviour on the customer's part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
he has left a child needing care and a wife probably needing long-term and expensive medical care. This is depressing news indeed
How can one over-speed when their 6yo child is on the car!!
It is a TD car, which is unknown to you as you're sitting in it for the first time. Any sane person would not do something so stupid in an unfamiliar car with their family in it.

Forget the road and everything else about the SA pulling the plug, etc. This is purely the driver's fault. Unfortunately the child and wife have to bear the consequences both physically and mentally throughout their life. May God give them strength.
GrandTourer is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 00:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
To prevent this, ALL showrooms must make a TD-taker sign a piece of paper with instructions which should also be narrated/translated by the SA accordingly, and the instructions should be - 1) Obey all traffic laws as you would as a car owner 2) Stick to nationally defined legal speeds i.e 80 within city limits and 120 on highways 3) No rash/dangerous driving and 4) When found in violation of the above points, the SA reserves the right to stop the test-drive and drive the vehicle himself back to the dealership.
Adding to your list, all test drive vehicles should have Speed Limiters installed at Max 120 to avoid over speeding by enthusiastic test drivers! And, 2 Dash Cams (with audio) for recording outside (front) and inside (especially towards the driver from far left maybe) of the vehicle so that the guilty are punished justly for their wrongdoing.

May God give peace to the family members of The departed soul.

May the salesperson get well soon and back on his job!!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th March 2019 at 10:47. Reason: dash cam typo
AdityaDeane is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 02:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
This is pathetic behaviour on the customer's part.

How can one over-speed when their 6yo child is on the car!!
It is a TD car, which is unknown to you as you're sitting in it for the first time. Any sane person would not do something so stupid in an unfamiliar car with their family in it.

Forget the road and everything else about the SA pulling the plug, etc. This is purely the driver's fault. Unfortunately the child and wife have to bear the consequences both physically and mentally throughout their life. May God give them strength.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Ohmygod.

I was blunt about having no sympathy for this guy removing himself from the gene pool --- but he has left a child needing care and a wife probably needing long-term and expensive medical care. This is depressing news indeed.

Please, everyone... It is never worth pushing that pedal down in a car you don't know. This human tragedy is a lesson to all.
If you go through the last few posts, it turns out, he wasn't driving the car. His friend was driving the car with both the friend and SA belted up in the front and the whole family in the back, who didn't have any seatbelts on.
They would've probably been unhurt like the front passengers if they just had their seatbelts on.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th March 2019 at 04:42. Reason: Removed unnecessary line breaks.
rdst_1 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed