Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2019, 03:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured

I simply do not understand the point of going fast while test driving? Are you going to drive the car like this? I think it comes from the mentality of "Oh I am never going to do this with my car, let me take liberties with the test drive car". Needless loss of life.
extreme_torque is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 09:59   #47
BHPian

Re: High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured

I hope people learn from this. One should refrain from gaining speeds on a vehicle you aren't familiar with or haven't got adjusted to. I would also say one should also drive sensibly on unknown roads.

Often I've found people struggle with foot placement on the pedals when they are given a new vehicle to drive.
soji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Our country is full of morons. And most like this are educated ones. It's a given that anything above 100kmph is inviting trouble on our roads and still people feel proud to do 150+ regularly. And we can argue that someone should have stopped him and all that but the fact is such morons do not listen to anyone. I have a few like this in my close circle who don't belt and overspeed all the time and feel great doing that.. No amount of reasoning with them has been fruitful with them and I am afraid someday they will learn this the hard way.

Not just an unknown TD car my personal view is not to go over 100 in my own cars whose behavior I know inside out. This thread reminds me of the saying - With great power comes great responsibility. Sadly, very few are responsible in our country. I feel for the child and the women who is gonna suffer all her life without any fault of hers.

I remember my school friend use to drive rashly and overspeed. One fine day I told him bluntly. Either drive safely or none of us will move with you. He did improve his style of driving after that intervention.

Last edited by harry10 : 28th March 2019 at 10:21.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:30   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Yes, the PES exit has a quite a downhill gradient just before the toll exit where some very high speeds can be achieved.
An overzealous customer in an high end car capable of achieving such high speeds is a recipe for disaster.
...just to show people who arent familiar with this piece of road in bangalore.

The video (edited from my humble dash cam) shows the run up to the tool booth is a over 2Kms of perfect-straight and quite a steep downhill approach. Very easily I have experienced guys overtake me while I was doing 100-110 (guessing they must be 130-140 easily). This stretch one can easily cross 140-160 if get carried away, and If you miss the braking spot or if gets distracted then its trouble!

(I was talking work with passenger, so added some music to blank it out)

svsantosh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:48   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

The salesman has confirmed to the police that it wasn't the deceased who was driving the car, rather it was his friend Gowtham.

Quote:
Demo car driver Shivakumar, in the co-passenger seat next to the driver, after receiving first-aid, headed to the police station and confirmed that it was indeed Gowtham who was driving.
Source : https://www.deccanherald.com/city/li...ps-725559.html

Apparently the family members were seated on the rear seats unbelted. The driver and salesman seated in the front with their belts on got away with minor injuries. Goes to show how important it is for all passengers to wear seatbelts
Santoshbhat is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 11:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

The video (edited from my humble dash cam) shows the run up to the tool booth is a over 2Kms of perfect-straight and quite a steep downhill approach. Very easily I have experienced guys overtake me while I was doing 100-110 (guessing they must be 130-140 easily). This stretch one can easily cross 140-160 if get carried away, and If you miss the braking spot or if gets distracted then its trouble!
I drive on that piece of NICE road pretty much every day. You are right about the downhill and the vehicles going fast there. What I fail to understand is that the toll booth is visible from very far, and the driver should have been seriously distracted not to have notice it on time.
deepakhon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 11:03   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The salesman has confirmed to the police that it wasn't the deceased who was driving the car, rather it was his friend Gowtham.
Gowtham will have this guilt on his head for the rest of his life. Its not clear whether Gowtham or the deceased was buying the car. Either way, I hope both submitted the licence details and signed the disclaimer.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 11:30   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I drive on that piece of NICE road pretty much every day. You are right about the downhill and the vehicles going fast there. What I fail to understand is that the toll booth seems visible from very far, and the driver should have been seriously distracted not to have notice it on time.
Exactly my point ! From the videograb that @paragsachania shared, the toll booth seems very clearly visible from a distance. ( Although I can't comment much due to my limited experience with NICE road, as I live in Mumbai ).

This reminds me of the umpteen toll plaza crashes that have happened on Mumbai--Pune Expressway. Here atleast both the toll plazas ( Khalapur and Talegaon ) are clearly visible from more than a km. Even then, due to high speeds and misjudging the braking distance, many ghastly crashes have occurred in the remote and recent past. There are videos on YouTube if I correctly remember.
Old 28th March 2019, 12:10   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
From the article

Quote:
The family members were not wearing seat belts and when the car toppled. Sagar hit himself against the front seat and window panes sustaining injuries to his face and bleeding from his ears, the police said.
Evoque has curtain airbags and they did deploy in this accident. What else could cause a fatal injury to the rear bench passengers head? The details still look sketchy to me.
Old 28th March 2019, 12:21   #55
BHPian

The toll roof is visible miles away. So this is pure stupidity. RIP.

Anyways: I fail to understand the sheer irresponsible behavior when handling someone else's asset. Just because his buddy was purchasing a vehicle, the driver had no authority to ride like a moron and idiot. Forget about even people loosing lives, I doubt guys like this even think 'safety' (or can spell it). Whenever I take test rides, I always ask the personnel to give me the car on the OPEN road and at points where I do not have to do too much bumper-2-bumper navigation. And am always double wary about hitting the test vehicle (or taking a hit). Basically I baby it. It is someone else's property and asset. Likewise, I always decline to try out a friend/colleague/relatives vehicle from the helm--no matter how much the temptation.

There is just too much out on our roads in terms of risk (in fact it is 100% risk) to be acting like the foolhardy on this Evoque. Hope he is courted for crime and also made to pay up those lakhs. In foresight. The test vehicle guys should have a kill switch for a ship of fools akin. Who needs enemies with friends like this!

Last edited by aah78 : 28th March 2019 at 17:44. Reason: Fixed on request.
asingh1977 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 12:37   #56
BHPian

I remember reading an extract where the police said there were no tyre/skid marks on the road to indicate braking. Could be a break failure or the driver pressed the A pedal in the last few hundred meters mistaking it for the break and could have panicked, as we see happens in multitudes of cases.

Nothing other than this scenario makes sense as to why someone would come down with high speed when the toll is visible. Maybe he was doing 100+ and instead of breaking near the toll, pressed the A pedal. Being a TD car, driver would not have been familiar. We see such incidents happen to folks who drive their own cars. So it may well have been the case here.
Old 28th March 2019, 12:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Did this happen there? That is the only spot, where you can come close. However 120 and 190 are very different speeds.
Around 5 years back, grand daughter of a veteran politician had died in a high speed accident. According to Police, Sanjay who is the deceased was not driving the car, it was his friend who drove the car. It is very easy to get carried away by the throttle response of a RR, if somebody is driving such cars for the first time, sense will not prevail. I feel sad for the death of a person, atleast now the dealers have to ensure that TD vehicles are handled properly.
Old 28th March 2019, 13:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Evoque has curtain airbags and they did deploy in this accident. What else could cause a fatal injury to the rear bench passengers head? The details still look sketchy to me.
This will clear your doubt.

ecenandu is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 14:09   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised there are no mini-rumblers installed in the last 1000 meters to warn drivers. Would have at least shaken the vehicle enough for the salesman to warn about the high speed.

The only thing that I can say is that the RR did not go straight through and hit a line of waiting vehicles. Personally, I have a phobia of being rear-ended in a line of suddenly stopped traffic or in a tollbooth queue!
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 14:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
From the article

Crashing your head into the back of a seat at 100 kph is usually fatal. People have had grievous head injury running into a solid obstacle.
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks