Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2019, 14:17   #16
BHPian

Re: New car buyers to pay Rs. 500 for hit & run compensation fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
I personally wouldnt mind paying Rs 500/- extra, when buying a new car, if it would help if the victims in hit and run can get some monetary help from the government (even if it comes via me).
You not minding a Rs.500 charge is your personal choice. The issue here is forced collection.

They have a 3rd party insurance system which is meant to take care of third-party injuries. If they are unable to make the exisiting system work, what is the point of adding a second charge, on top of the current one, regardless of the amount?

Tommorow, when they figure out that this isn't reaching the victims either, will they will add a 3rd charge whilst still retaining the current charges?
Old 5th April 2019, 14:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Again, it's only for Hit-and-Run cases. You doze off and hit a median will not qualify you for a Hit-and-Run I guess. Nor if you hit a tree and run away. Someone else needs to run away after hitting you for you to claim this compensation. And this being a Government related matter I am pretty sure, god forbid, if you ever suffer such a fate they will not make it so easy for you to claim the compensation. I won't be surprised if suddenly it turns out then that the onus is on you to prove that someone hit you and run away and it was not you who caused the accident.
Unless caught on a CCTV (in which case, police can identify the run away driver anyway), it's not easy to prove that accident happened due to the driver itself and no other party was involved. I mean, how difficult is it to record an FIR, saying I was hit by a car, because of which, I lost control and hit the pole; car driver drove off.

OR

It is equally difficult to prove you were actually a victim of hit and run case and not got into an accident due to your own negligence.

I can foresee a lot of actual victims not getting any compensation and a lot of "influential/connected" people getting compensation in false cases (much like the Agri loan waivers)
Old 5th April 2019, 14:27   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaychat View Post
They have a 3rd party insurance system which is meant to take care of third-party injuries. If they are unable to make the exisiting system work, what is the point of adding a second charge, on top of the current one, regardless of the amount?
Sorry, but I disagree. The 3rd party system is predicated on people stopping and owning up to their fault. No government on earth can stop hit and runs from occurring since it is in human nature.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks